Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Are car speakers different to home speakers ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Are they different ohms or something ?

Or am I being daft with this thought ?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Speakers in your car are not in your ohmes. 😀

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Now that’s funny

adi66
    Free Member

4ohm for automotive speakers, and 8ohm for home audio

…. If my brain is working correctly!

scaredypants

d’you want a bag on yer head ?

CountZero

twinw4ll – Member
    Speakers in your car are not in your ohmes.

Drac

Car speakers don’t have directional cables or they’d stop working when you reversed.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I have some old jvc speakers from a mini system that’s been in the loft for a few years and wanted to use the speaker units in the camper van not in the boxes but take speakers out of the boxes and mount in the van as there are precut holes the same size.

Would it sound rubbish then ?

chiefgrooveguru

Car speakers are usually designed for sealed boxes whilst home stuff for ported boxes – but there’s no harm trying! Many cheaper home/car audio speakers are designed almost entirely to meet a low price point rather than hitting a good audio goal…

somouk
    Free Member

You would probably get away with it but it might not sound great. The box is normally designed to be the most efficient size for the speaker, altering the volume of the box the speaker is in will affect how it sounds.

Give it a go… Generally speaking if they are 8 ohm speakers you will get less power to them from an amp assuming you don’t blow the amp showing it a different resistance.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Will give it a blast tomorrow eve…they are 8 ohms

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It would look well odd with speakers in your living room/kitchen/bedroom doors.

cynic-al
    Free Member

They won’t go as loud, it won’t blow the amp.

It may not sound amazing but it may work ok.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Are car speakers different to home speakers ?’ is closed to new replies.