Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Are BMW compact any good?S
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Should I even consider one over a Celica 1.8 VVTi? I can live with the logo but they look iffy in all honesty.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

What – like a 318 compact? or a 118?

Hairychested
    Free Member

316/318 compact

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Shit.

Honestly. Been there. Better alternatives. Think golf. a3.

1 series is very different.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Thanks. Jap then. As hoped for.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I like these short snappy debates!

duntmatter
    Free Member

Am I too late for this one? Celicas are good coz they do radical skids and have green and red stripes.

donsimon
    Free Member

Where might I procure one of these vehicles with green and red stripes? It sounds very fast.

infidel
    Free Member

I had a Corolla TSport – 1.8 VVTi – same engine as the Celica and it was great, good fuel economy if you drove it at 3000rpm but when you let it loose upto 7000 the car went like a rocket (and surprised many who thought it was just a boring corolla). I tried the Corolla Compressor which was mental. Other than annual service the car needed no garage time in 8 years.

donsimon
    Free Member

Does it have a green and red stripe???

Hairychested
    Free Member

don, you get the stripes and only then start looking for a car.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Infidel, would you choose one of these:

or one of these:

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The 3 series compacts were a bit of a cut and shut job. BM put a new shape 3 series on the front and the back end of the old outgoing 3 on the back.

I’ve never driven one but apparently they are not great.

Get an MX5 instead 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

Get an MX5 instead

And the family car for those times when you actually want or need to go somewhere together?
    I don’t really see a point in the compact but prefer to ask.

hora
    Free Member

Corolla? Drive one. Honestly, try and describe anything about the experience.

I drove a compact- I really liked it.

Celica? Someone on Pistonheads talked about his in terms of ‘sportscar’ whilst posting up ‘I’ve just been caught speeding in my sportscar’ – I remember he was flamed 😆

In addition- the rear quarter side-on view of the Celicia is truly hideous, even if you buy it in black you’d still look at it and think 😥

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hora, and when you look at a ?orolla, do you get a hard-on? Neither do I 😛

donsimon
    Free Member

don, you get the stripes and only then start looking for a car.

😥

I am looking at having mine done like this…

SIMON CARTER CAR by simoncarter.es, on Flickr
    I reckon it’ll go about 20-25km/hr faster afterwards. 😈

hora
    Free Member

In real life I’m quite dull, safe and insipid. I looked at the Corolla and thought it would tick the ‘reliable, cheap and safe’ part of my requirements. So I test drove one.

The Salesman said ‘what do you think’? I had no idea. I still can’t explain the experience.

Dull?

An interesting fact, the ‘sporty’ (old) Corolla- a Toyota Technician told me a 2.0 (whatever its called) need a new exhaust system outside the warranty period and they asked the owner for £3k to replace….

Hairychested
    Free Member

I don’t think you’re dull, you’d be such if a Corolla excited you. I like the looks of a Celica, and the fact my in-laws would be hugely uncomfortable at the back is a mahoosive bonus.

Daffy

Celica is a lovely car, this was my 2002 T-sport:

190hp VVTLI engine with a redline over 8200rpm = ➡ 😯 😀

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m thinking about the 140 bhp version as the speed limit in Eire is dictated by the condition of the road surface and Louth and Meath have it diabolical.
    Going for the more powerful stuff also makes future upgrades more expensive 🙂

Gachet
    Free Member

The Celica would be better than a 318 compact as from experience the 4 cylinder BMW engines aren’t the best.

One thing to bear in mind is the low roof line and limited rear space in the Celica. I’m 5ft 9″ and found my head almost touching the roof when a passenger in the front and I once had to spend a very unpleasant 3 hours in the back of one and with two normal sized people in the front there was virtually no leg room and I had to sit accross the seats. The BMW should be better in this respect.

molgrips
    Free Member

I looked at an Auris when buying a car last as with scrappage I could’ve got one brand new for 12 grand. I didn’t, mainly because the diesel was a measly 90bhp.

Hairychested
    Free Member

90bhp in a car weighing probably half of mine? Good enough.
    I’m unconcerned by the rear space for adults as I’ll be driving, my wife doesn’t have a licence, my daughter is only 4y.o., my folks are much shorter than me (and I’m only 5’7″) and my in-laws can stick to their Corsa or whatever they have. He’s too tall and she’s.. my mil – self-explanatory.

molgrips
    Free Member

It probably weighs the same as the Civic I was looking at that had over 50% more power 🙂

Plus I wanted to tow, and it was too wussy and perhaps too light for that.

Cletus
    Free Member

I had a Celica 190 as a company car for a few years. It was actually a great biking car as the rear seats fold down and leave a surprisingly large space. I managed to get two bike bags plus hand luggage and a passenger in mine when driving to France for the 2004 Etape du Tour.

I would not have a 190 if I had to pay for my own fuel – the 140 should be alot better in that respect.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Has anybody owned a mid-90’s Celica with a simple engine? The pre-boxy one.

hora
    Free Member

Auris. I remember the accelerator sticking wide open until I reached down and pulled the matt out 😆

infidel
    Free Member

Hairychested – on your pics, the celica!
    Hora – mine had gone back to TTE and had been lowered which improved the handling no end. Also a few other tweaks.

I accept the celica looks better in those pics though perhaps a little ‘hairdressy’ (and yes the corolla was grandaddy! but I liked it when people thought your car had no oomph and subsequently had a bit of a surprise and it fitted a surprising amount into the boot) and it was insurance group 14 for pretty much 200bhp.

It served a purpose for me and I was using it to illustrate how good I think the 1.8VVTI engine is.

infidel
    Free Member

FWIW

hora
    Free Member

Is that the sport 2.0- dont let your exhaust go!!

Hairychested
    Free Member

infidel, a Corolla (or similar) would be fine with the missus, I want something for me 🙂
    BTW She’s just asked me why I’m not wanting an Accord Type S. A minute earlier she had said I should get a car smaller than my 406 😀

hora
    Free Member

Why not a Accord S? .MILES BETTER!

deep_river
    Free Member

If you to be branded a tosser, and If you want to be never let out of a junction again, then its got to be the Beemer!

Just stereotypeing, not my opinion btw! ish 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

I want 2-3 doors.

infidel
    Free Member

how about one of these? Go like the proverbial off a shovel….

Conqueror
    Free Member

How fast does it need to be?

Plenty of hatches

Honda civic
    Volvo C30
    Seat Leon

Hairychested
    Free Member

I drove a chipped Civic earlier today. Went like a rocket. The guy says he’ll find me a Jap that I’ll swap for.
    BTW What’s the deal with alloy-looking gear knobs in those “tuned” cars? If they mean “I have a small willy” I’ll fit one but if not? Or those almost-carbon fibre matts?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Are BMW compact any good?S’ is closed to new replies.