Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Are big tyres noticeably draggy?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

I’m currently running a Minion DH tyre on the front of my bike, because it’s new (to me) and that’s what it came with.
    Would I really notice the difference in rolling resistance if I changed it to something with less tread for the summer?
    I just can’t imagine ever changing a tyre and thinking ‘wow….that feels faster’.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes .

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve honestly never noticed a difference in rolling resistance between front tyres, only grip. And, for reference, my most ‘drastic’ change was from a light-ish, hard-compound Ardent to a Supertacky Minion DHF.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I cant imagine ever changing a tyre and not thnking it will have an impact on rolling resistance.
    Also, it would make the forums quite dull since we would no longer need tyre threads, we’d all just run Minion DH tyres for everything

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Tread and rubber compound make a bigger difference than size per-se.

At the front, you’ll notice any difference even less. What you’ll notice much more is a reduction in grip in the trails where surfaces are marginal – think dust, gravel, soft ground and also choppy ground.

Usually, people run something faster at the back nd grippier at the front.

What you regard as faster and grippier largely depends on your trails and riding pregerences

PrinceJohn

I was running 2 tacky tyres in winter, grip was insane but so draggy. Just swapped back to a rock razor on the back and the bike feels so much quicker

theocb
    Free Member

Tyres make a huge difference to the way a bike rides, it is one of the cheapest and easiest ways of transforming a bike.

As above it isn’t about tyre size as such, it’s about all the parts that make one tyre different to another for an individual.. tread patterns, compounds, weight, size, trail conditions, traction, traction YOU require etc etc

Sometimes a new tyre can feel sketchy as hell in your favourite corner but it might be because you are entering the corner at an extra 2.6kmh. Think on THAT!

br
    Free Member

Compound has a far bigger impact on rolling resistance than tread pattern IME.

Junkyard
    Free Member

rolling resistance will make a difference

try a grippy one on road and then a slick if you doubt this

the difference is less noticeable on the MTB and tbh I prefer grip to speed

asbrooks

I ride the same tyres all year round now I have them tubeless. I can’t be bothered with all the faff of changing them and will only swap them when worn. If your tyres are draggy, peddle harder you won’t notice after a while. 😉

BillOddie

Lots of variables….size being just one…

Compound > Tread Pattern > Weight > Pressure> Size contribute to rolling resistance in that order.

But tyre set up A that rolls faster on tarmac than tyre set up B can roll slower than B off road. Does that make sense?

tomaso
    Free Member

Tied are your contact with the trail. How that connection feels is all down to you.

My Capra came with 2.3 Highroller II Exo’s fitted and it felt like I was dragging it through mud most of the time – swapped them for Spesh Butcher/Purg 2.3’s and the difference was like night and day

pembo6
    Free Member

I’ve not noticed much difference on the front. Other than grip. But huge difference in the back. I’ve recently changed from a 2.2 specialized ‘the captain’ control, to a 2.3 high roller II Exo. The HRii has so much more drag. Massive difference in speed and endurance. Didn’t really notice much extra grip on the back. Ice now gone to an ardent to get better rolling speed . Not had a had a chance to test yet.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Compound and pressures are bigger factors than tyre size. If they’re at 30psi, 4″ fat bike tyre is just as fast as a well inflated 2.1. But had to take sticky stuff off the back of 2.4 because rolling resistance was ridiculous.

choppersquad
    Free Member

What should I be looking at for less rolling resistance but still with a bit of grip for our typical British summer?

Specialized Butcher Control front, Purgatory Control rear – £30 each

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Are big tyres noticeably draggy?’ is closed to new replies.