Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Are baggy’s better?
  • flip03
    Free Member

Hi all. I want a pair of baggies but other than the looks can see no reason why they would be better than bibs under normal shorts. Lots of baggies after all have a liner inside anyway which doesnt look as well padded as my bibs. Am i missing something? How do you stop that exposed bit between short and jersey? Which shorts are your favorite?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

endura zyme with your choice of liner/bib/shorts

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Extra ptotection in the event of a crash (some). More storage space for keys, phone, human souls etc. Water and mud run off them, not soak into your arse and crotch…..and seeing as lot of people on here are so desperately fashion conscious – they look a lot less “julian”.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Zymes are great. But I cant get Kyle Straits under my 3/4s.

Baggies have pockets so you can go for a quick ride without a bag if you feel like it.

Dont worry about the exposed bit your supposed to get muddy.

And also you wont scare small children or animals wearing baggies.

AndyP
    Free Member

if you want to look like a clown or one of those annoying runts skateboarding around shopping centres, then yeah, baggies are probably better…

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

AndyP – Member
    if you want to look like a clown or one of those annoying runts skateboarding around shopping centres, then yeah, baggies are probably better…

Clown or pervert, the choice is yours.

matt_outandabout

I have two pairs of Sombrio shorts and a pair of 3/4’s – none have a liner. I use a variety of shorts underneath depending on weather/whats in the wash.
    I have used ‘normal’ shorts – some are fine, but many are very baggy around the seat / flappy – the Sombrios fit really nicely, snug where needed and yet still a baggy.

BillOddie

Endura Zyme 3/4s are rubbish. :FACT:
    Their Hummvees are good though in std or 3/4 length.

Olly
    Free Member

Matalan khakis. over bib or lycra shorts
    about 3 quid, and dont fall apart at the first sign of mud as 100% of my experience of bike specific shorts have (admitadly only 1 pair, but im bitter, i really liked them)

sobriety
    Free Member

How about perverted clown, that sounds like a good look.

BFITH
    Free Member

If you like shaving your legs and wering lycra…there are special clubs that cater for your needs. Otherwise short will do. Lets face it most of us havent got the legs we used to have……

nickc

baggies over longs or 3/4 Lycra in the winter for a bit of tackle insulation, just Lycra in the summer.

andym
    Free Member

When you say ‘normal shorts’ I’m assuming you just mean shorts shorts rather than lycra shorts. Short answer is they’ll do fine, but purpose-made baggies would probably be harder wearing cos they’ll be reinforced with cordura.

Lots of padding is not necessarily a good thing – personally I prefer to be able to walk around without feeling like I’m wearing a nappy.

enfht
    Free Member

Still dont understand the concept of lyra on it’s own, I think it looks disturbing. Lycra with padded arse under baggy shorts is surely better? I know racers wear the lycra on its own and probably argue it’s faster that way but c’mom FFS !!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Bill I have both Zyme 3/4 and humvee shorts and 3/4s and find all of them good but I like the Zymes for the tightening pulls on the sides.

Sombrero shorts are good I have some light ones and they even come clean at 30!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I_Ache –
    Sombrero shorts are good I have some light ones and they even come clean at 30!

You mean Sombrio? Excellent shorts.

aracer
    Free Member

Still dont understand the concept of lyra on it’s own

Because I don’t actually care how other people think I look. Baggies for the insecure.

andym
    Free Member

Baggies for the insecure.

..and people who like pockets.

aracer
    Free Member

..and people who like pockets.

Got those on the back of my top where they flap around a lot less.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

aracer – Member

Because I don’t actually care how other people think I look. Baggies for the insecure.

So do you wear lycra to work? Or down the pub?

aracer
    Free Member

No/Yes – I tend to get changed into non cycling clothes if going to either of those, though have been to the pub in lycra (I’m not insecure in a pub either). Do people really sit around at work all day in the bike clothes they rode in wearing?

enfht
    Free Member

aracer arent you concerned about scaring small children when you mount/dismount your bike in public? Thanks for pointing out I’m insecure, I had never realised until now, so will now clad my c*ck in lycra with pride !!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    – I tend to get changed into non cycling clothes if going to either of those, though have been to the pub in lycra (I’m not insecure in a pub either).

Why would you change? Lycra is so comfortable and warm, not to mention sleek stylish and sexy – if you’re not insecure then why not just wear it all day every day?

Do people really sit around at work all day in the bike clothes they rode in wearing?

Some people are actually so skilled at riding bikes….they can do it wearing relatively normal clothes. I’ve never actually met one of these people but I hear they exist.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s a lot harder to scare small children than you seem to think, enfht – most of them aren’t as obsessed as you lot seem to be with the contents of a pair of lycra shorts.

Why would you change?

I wear swimming trunks to go swimming, ski wear to go skiing. Both are comfortable for what they do, but I wouldn’t wear either of them in the pub/office either any more than I’d wear jeans to go swimming or smartish clothes to go skiing.

Some people are actually so skilled at riding bikes….they can do it wearing normal clothes.

Without sweating, and without getting rubbed in the wrong places (the whole point of bike specific clothing)? I’m impressed.

enfht
    Free Member

aracer got any pics with you in your lycra hot pants?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

aracer

I wear swimming trunks to go swimming, ski wear to go skiing. Both are comfortable for what they do, but I wouldn’t wear either of them in the pub/office either any more than I’d wear jeans to go swimming or smartish clothes to go skiing.

Sorry, I still don’t understand. Obviously skiing or swimming require specific attire as they are in wet/cold environments….but around the office, or the home surely lycra is just as comfortable as a pair of jeans? In my opinion a lycra bib is much more comfortable than a business suit, so surely, fashion aside, it really is the the ultimate all round practical fabric for the modern man? Wouldnt you agree?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a medium sized, non-deformed cock, a fairly pert middle-aged arse, a flat stomach and good legs. Women with figures a lot less good than mine stuff themselves into clingy clothing and wander around in public without frightening the horses. 😉

Christowkid
    Free Member

In answer to the original post: Last summer I tried on humvees to see what all the fuss is about. Yes they felt good, but…..
    the end of the short was exactly below my knee cap, so rode up every time if i tried to flex my leg. The inner plus outer baggy combination felt massive! I felt really encoumbered. I also worried about excess ‘baggy’ bits catching in the saddle. They simply made me feel cluttered.
    I then tried on some endura MT500 lycra shorts and bought them. I’m really happy with them and find them really comfortable, no bits to snag on seats. I wear them under bib tights or normal tights for cold or wet stuff, or on their own when (if!) we have summer.
    My Buffalo Big Face shirt has a crotch strap so it tends to obsure the nappy syndrome associated with lycra.

I ride straight from home, do a local trip, then back and change into normal clothes. I’m no fashion wannabe, nor have the body to be either. I simply want something that works for me. I don’t care how I look as the wildlife has never commented on my fashion statements!! Perhaps if I did a regular pub stop I’d reconsider. I might treat myself to a pair of baggies – maybe – simply to have another pair of shorts to wear off bike if we have a summer, and it might persuade me to actually try them on a bike.
    Being someone who feels the cold and has dodgy knees too, I only ever go out only in shorts in high summer!
    Yep. Wimp!
    cheers
    Q

enfht
    Free Member

“Women with figures a lot less good than mine stuff themselves into clingy clothing and wander around in public without frightening the horses.”

I saw a horse wearing lycra once, or was that me in the lycra looking in the mirror? 😯

andyfla
    Free Member

Surely Baggies are the off road version of shaving your legs, no real advantage but we do it cos everyone else does ?

molgrips
    Free Member

1) Baggies have pockets
    2) You can wear them at the pub/shop or even work if you’re bold, without getting stares. I have had stares and lewd sexist comments when wearing lycra (and I’m a bloke).
    3) Baggies are a bit warmer than normal shorts, due to having two layers. The outer on my Humvees is quite windproof
    4) I also have a pair of raceface baggies that have a mesh liner and are very loose in the outer – very nice in hot weather. If I remember correctly – it’s been a while!

However for long rides or races I wear lycra, but only because I have Assos shorts which are the last word in long term comfort.

andyfla
    Free Member

1) Camelbak ? or shirt pockets
    2) Agreed, but why ? if you are doing a ride that is short enough/slow enough to not sweat so no need to change then ride in normal clothes, you also wont have have the large damp pad feeling between your thighs. As for lewd comments, harden up !
    3) Hardly, if it is cold wear tights, knee warmers or DHB stuff
    4) Lyrca will still be less warm ( I hesitate to use the word “cooler” when referring to lycra)

So fashion and peer group it is. I have some endura baggies that are fantastic but I am realistic why I wear them

aracer
    Free Member

aracer got any pics with you in your lycra hot pants?

I’m on the right in the foreground if that helps 😀

In my opinion a lycra bib is much more comfortable than a business suit, so surely, fashion aside, it really is the the ultimate all round practical fabric for the modern man? Wouldnt you agree?

You’re so right – unfortunately I don’t think either lycra or baggies would go down too well.

enfht
    Free Member

I think lycra wearing cyclists give normal riders a bad name, there, I’ve said it. Lycra on men looks stooopid, fact. I dont expect alot of people on STW to really understand this opinion but I dont care cos it aint me looking like a ****!! (replies on a postcard or sealed self-addressed envelope) 🙄

if you dont believe me, take a random member of public, drop into conversation that you cycle, and see how many ask, with a wry smile on their face, if you wear lycra. You’ll find that the general concensus is men wearing lycra is gay (any homosecual men please confirm that it looks well gay)

BUT, good on you for sticking to your convictions, you big gaylord !!! 😆

aracer
    Free Member

So you are worried about what members of the GP think you look like? Insecure, QED.

molgrips
    Free Member

take a random member of public, drop into conversation that you cycle, and see how many ask, with a wry smile on their face, if you wear lycra

All that proves is that the general public are smirking adolescents, I’m afraid 🙂

andyfla
    Free Member

and see how many ask, with a wry smile on their face, if you wear lycra

Na, they can generally see as I am wearing it already – It is generally the only time I get my bum felt by the girls in the office as well.
    It is only harassment if you aren’t enjoying it !

sputnik
    Free Member

Only wrestlers look shyte in lycra.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Still dont understand the concept of lyra on it’s own

You’ve not been riding very long, have you. On mid-term holiday by any chance enfht?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Trouble with baggies is they make you look like a 12 year old skater. What is really needed is something that isn’t the victim of fashion. they don’t need to be so baggy to work well. Length is not needed either as long as they clear the saddle. Pockets are a mixed blessing and you can’t go for protection and pockets in the same sentence. I mean baggies supposedly protect you but then fill the pockets with hard things. HMMM What would work best is something close fitting but tougher than lycra. Old fashion stretch climbing breeches would work and I am sure some one still does such a thing. Rapha? What puzzles me more than anything is that come the winter vaste amounts of mountain bikers realise that some nice warm tights do the job well. then in the summer we wear two pairs of shorts! liners then outers. NO baggies do have some pluses but lycra offers more and the appearance is fashion and therefore the preserve of f wits

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Are baggy’s better?’ is closed to new replies.