Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Are as many people riding SS these days?
  • Dancake
    Free Member

Cant remember the last time “beard” was posted in a thread.

For the record, I am building a dual-speed (2:1 SS with super mince gear for emergencies)

Not sure if it will work

For road work with occasional off-road doggyness 13T rear 26/39 Front
    For extended fun 20T rear with the same 26/39 front

Carbon forks/ caldera frame.

Was supposed to be a new chain for the SS work bike but I have ended up spending 200 quid on it 😯 . Sod it, we are going down from 2 cars to one so that is just a few month’s fuel, innit?

bananaworld
    Free Member

Mmmm, sounds nice… The world needs more Konas wirth carbon forks (also, is it one of the orange ones…?)

Also for the record, I have a singlespeed and a beard.

Do you have a beard? Or does a two-speed only entitle you to stubble?

Dancake
    Free Member

Until very recently, I had a very impressive pair of sideburns (hung over from a beard experiment)

Just a few days ago, my Boss shouted BUGGER’S GRIPS at me.

I shaved them off

The kona is magnolia. there will be pictures. think it is a 2005

postierich
    Free Member

Converted all my riding buddies but they still whinge like **** on the hills!!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Should’ve chinned ‘im.

samuri
    Free Member

he he, no, but sadly it’s lost it’s buzz.

There was a time I could just sit on my SS bike and gain hero status because it only has one gear. Now I’ve got to beat two downhillers on 8 inch travel monsters wearing all the protection gear available down a 1:1 hill on a fixed wheel cross bike with rigid forks before I’m labelled cool.

And being cool two or thre times a week just isn’t good enough any more.

Dancake
    Free Member

Im not worried about being cool- My Meta has stickers all over it and that

Northwind

Dancake – Member

Until very recently, I had a very impressive pair of sideburns (hung over from a beard experiment)

I shaved them off

I used to have a moustache but my boss told me to shave it off… He said it tickles.

Single speed is common as muck these days.
    Rohloffs are still niche though. 😉

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Pah ! Single speeders, bunch of freaks with beards and sandals . I ask you what normal person would ride single speeds 8)

Hairychested
    Free Member

I ask you what normal person would ride single speeds bicycles

FTFY

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Took it up a year ago and love it. The travel on my FS bike is also steadily growing, so I don’t think of myself as a freak – more like I get on both buses, if you know what I mean.

AlasdairMc

Ditched mine as of yesterday. Got a CX, so ran out of shed space and one had to go.

It’s now sitting in my parents’ garage, I may pick it up again for winter stuff though

R.lepecha

Its because people arent willing to put in the effort to ride a bike properly, there all lazy and run double/triple ring 10 speed. So they can just sit and spin all day gaining no decent muscle or superhero status.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Still got mine. Wouldn’t ride anything else off road over the winter months. I doubt I’ll be doing any racing on it anymore after two knee ops though. 🙁

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup still got mine and I can’t even grow a beard, can do some stubble though 😉

Even converted my mate, had to make his shiny and pimp though

Mister-P
    Free Member

Just picked up my new Genesis iO. So now I have 2 geared bikes and 2 SS. Yes I have a beard.

Bernaard
    Free Member

No beard, the wife says it gives her a rash on her thighs.
    No sandals either
    SS all the way
    32/14 Wanga

32/16 Soukri 29er

There is a gear bike too……….

Dancake
    Free Member

nice and nice

have you got some magic ratios there? tensioner?

MrSparkle

Nice, er, Wanga, Bernard. Here’s mine, with a rather more traditional 32:16

Don’t think I’ll be stopping SS’ing any time soon.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I am most definitely beardless!
    Running a ss for commuting and messing about on at the moment (decided commuting with 1 gear is better training!), its fun round the woods…but can be a bit slow…building up a new super duper geared bike at the moment (by building up its currently a frame, a seat clamp and a wheel skewer!).

rexated
    Free Member

I had a beard for the last 2 years, but recently shaved it off. over that period i rode my ss a handful of times. but last week i built up a new ss, and tomorrow will be doing my first ss xc race, beard-free. what the HELL is going on?

messiah
    Free Member

Did you not know that BMX is to be the new kool 🙄

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Fixed is where its at these days “well rad init”

messiah
    Free Member

Fixed… that was yesterday afternoon… get with the program ya goon :mrgreen:

plumber
    Free Member

I rarely ride anything else than SS carbon-rigid these days

innit

jonnyrobertson

Both singlespeedy and beardy. Don’t need sus or gears for me local stuff to be honest.

emac65
    Free Member

Have two SS – 26″ & 29er,but no beard as I think they look ‘kin stooooopid & a bit gay.Several geared suss bikes too,it’s all ridin’…..

Mister-P
    Free Member

Tell Brian Blessed beards look gay.

rOcKeTdOg

1 x 9 29er with 32mm CX tyres is the new SS, and i have a beard

commuter by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m not be cause some pikey stole it. But thinking of ss’ing the replacement. And I have a stubeard.

singlespeedstu

Raises hand and confesses to not riding singlespeed much this year.I recon i’ve only done about 12 rides without gears this year. 😳

Mostly been on the fatbike or tandem.

No beard either as it got too much grey in it so it had to go.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Still loving my Love/Hate.

oldgit
    Free Member

More I’d say. I got mocked for riding singlespeed over ten years ago, now all those mocker’rers? ride it themselves.
    I don’t anymore. My thinking is *** it, it’s no hardship hauling all those extra little teeth around with me and they come in useful at times.

Dancake
    Free Member

Made a start today.

Bits are thrown together (like the front brake which it turns out when opening the box to be a rear. 30 quid bikhut job. Night be a tektro auriga. )

Had a quick ride.

Bars look odd, but really comfy
    2 speed seems viable

got a bit of chain slip but will reserve judgement until I have new rings/ sprocket . (Gearing is a bit low for the road)

IMAG0096 by Dancake2010, on Flickr

Seggons
    Free Member

I ride a bmx?
    28 – 9
    no beard, stubble
    no sandals

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve got 4.
    33-17 29″ wheels.
    39-16 700c wheels.
    30-10 20″ wheels.
    36-16 24″ wheels.

emac65
    Free Member

TBH I think it’s rather funny that people think there’s an image that goes with it or it makes you more,well…whatever it makes you.As a kid that’s all we had & only the posh kids had geared bikes.Never felt the need to buy a fake beard & wear it either…. 8)

rp16v
    Free Member

one here fully shaven here no sandles and a stupid looking fork but rides like a dream and its my only off rd bike use it as much as possible oh yeah 32-18 here in hilly brizzol

pop-larkin
    Free Member

My recent Swift purchase means I am singlespeeding loads more than I did and its great!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Are as many people riding SS these days?’ is closed to new replies.