Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Are all tubeless rim tapes effectively the same?
  • panzerjager
    Free Member

Just bought a pair of e-thirteen wheels which I’d like to run tubeless, should I try to buy the original rim tape or are they all essentially the same thing? The E-Thirteen stuff is 22mm I think?
    Would be grateful for your experience/wisdom!

Thanks,

Darren.

monkeyboyjc

nope – I’ve a Joe’s on the from of my DT-swiss wheels and its completely different to the Stans on the rear. The Joes is wider overall whilst being made from thinner rubber than the Stans.

panzerjager
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, been doing a bit more googling & there seems to be a huge difference in quality between brands, besides many people swearing by electrical tape & gorilla tape…
    What i guess i should ask now is what people recommend…?

svalgis
    Free Member

Superstar’s rim tape and valves has worked fine for me so far (two wheels, four tyres and four months of riding).

Northwind

Is it tape or is it a rubber rim strip you’re after? Very different…

I use Stans stuff mostly, Specialized Roval stuff is very similiar but seems stickier. Electric tape does the job too.

panzerjager
    Free Member

Cheers svalgis, will check them out.
    Northwind, they’re advertised as tubeless ready rims, they originally came with a tubeless kit but ive bought these used, i got the valves but not the rim strip. It looks like blue tape from the pics online.
    Will have a little experiment when I get home next weekend!
    Thanks again.

bigdean

I’ve used 25mm duck tape on an arch ex. Has worked fine. £3.99 for 50m roll off ebay.

giantx4
    Free Member

Ghetto gaffa rules! Free from work!..(shsshhhh)

Tracker1972
    Free Member

The Bontrager one is a rigid shaped and sculpted plastic thing. Only fits their rims but made going tubeless an utterly painless experience.

So no, not all the same, or even interchangeable. This is mountain biking, there are many standards 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stans apparently mimics the shape of their rims, thicker at the edges than in the middle to seal against the tyre. I just use electrical tape in my MTB wheels, build it up layer by layer until it seals the tyre.

crapjumper
    Free Member

I use cricket bat repair tape from sports direct . I’ve been using it for about 2 years now and you’ll get 4 rims from a £2 roll . It’s spot on !

panzerjager
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated!!
    Cricket bat stuff sounds interesting, Ive got a roll of that & now you come to mention it, its very similar to what I’ve been looking at online…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Are all tubeless rim tapes effectively the same?’ is closed to new replies.