Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Are all the trails at Kirroughtree open at the moment.
  • mancian
    Free Member

Hi.

Just a quick one. Me and a pal are heading up to Kirroughtree on Friday before driving across to Peebles for the Scottish Open Enduro.

Are all the trails (mainly Red & Black) open at the moment at Kirroughtree. Ive heard some people saying they arnt and don’t want a wasted trip from Manchester.

Cheers

imnotverygood

Black and Green closed:
    Don’t take my word for it.

http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Kirroughtree

davidxbrown
    Free Member

I asked the same question to the nice chaps at the Brakepad and had this reply:-

The Forestry haven’t given us word of when they think felling/logging will cease on the Black trail. If we had to hazard a guess, it would be the end of September. There is no official date as yet. The South side of the Black is ride-able. Currently you can ride up Heartbreak Hill across BlackCraig but not the decent down to the A road. So there is a temporary alternative/diversion open to you. And the Red is still fantastic and flowy as ever.. and if you have Strava, there’s always the PMBA Enduro Stages to find and ride. 🙂

Scapegoat

As above. We were up there last week. They are harvesting/logging the north side of the black run because of the Larch disease, but the South side is open, including McMoab. Don’t know about diversions, but you could road ride back to the top of the red.

mancian
    Free Member

So are there diversions up to get around the red and to the open parts of the black?

Just another question, if you had to two out of Mabie, Dalbeattie and Ae, which would you do?

Trekster

All 3….
    Biased as they are my locals 😆
    Dalbeattie probably the toughest even though there are no big hills, just tight, twisty and rocky. Some riders have a moan about the amount of forest road without realising the trail is now 12yrs old!
    Ae. Some big climbs and descents. Same as above, moans about forest road content. Rode there yesterday and it was good. Some sections mow suffering from the number of Enduro events held using trails in the opposite direction, riders cutting corners and causing erosion!!
    Mabie. Easiest of the 3 but going by the skid marks a good number of riders have been off the trail a lot 🙄 Hadn’t ridden Mabie for a few months and the weather has taken its toll, lot rougher than I remember.
    None of the trails have had much in the way of maintenance over the past few years 😥

Could consider Drumlanrigg if you had the time to drive up.

Mabie being central you can do it + one of the others. Roughly same distance to either Ae or Dalbeattie. Good cafe @ Ae if you need or just stop off in Dalbeattie, better still Loch Arthur farm shop/cafe on the way @ Beeswing.

Coming up from Manc drive up to the Lockerbie junction, Ae is the nearest trail then Mabie. Dalbeattie is the other side of Dumfries. Or do Mabie first then Ae, there are showers at Ae.
    1.1/2hrs riding at each trail

Kirry is a 1hr drive from Dumfries. If you are heading to Peebles it’s probably not worth the effort, good as it is.
    Ae has the DH track, the Shredder and a few Enduro tracks Callum at the shop could point you to. He might be heading to Peebles along with a few other locals(top 10 rider)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Are all the trails at Kirroughtree open at the moment.’ is closed to new replies.