Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • are all oval chainrings the same..?
  • lovewookie

Currently, almost by accident using an old Sugino ovaltech chainring on my hack and quite liking it, although at 38T it’s a litle too big for some of the climbs coupled with a 12-27 on a 29er. It’s more like biopace than oval, but more oval than biopace was, if you get what I mean.

looking for a cheapish replacement for it, something 36T should be fine for my regular rides.

so, usual suspects, B labs and Absoluteblack, have their 12 ish degree clocking, makes kinda sense and eyeing the ovaltech seems about right (yes, I clocked it to the ‘right’ position).

however, I then came across These ovals on ebay for significantly less dosh.

looks like they have no clock, just large diameter when cranks are horizontal, smalest when they are vertical.

Anyone used them? AB and B-Labs would have you believe that this is wrong and to speak of such things is blasphemy (Ok I may have made that up), but any real world experience from the oval lovers out there?

🙂

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I use an Absoluteblack 34T. Got it for about £8 off here and thought it would be worth a go, really didn’t expect anything from it but I love it. I climb as well as anyone I ride with now. Climbs like a 32ish and on the flats its more like a 34.

To be honest the ones you’ve seen on ebay look identical to mine, but in funkier colours. They’re machined the same.

alexh
    Free Member

Love my ab oval too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lovewookie

yeah but they’re not the same. The AB’s are offset slightly, you can tell this by the variation in distance from the bolt holes and the teeth, whereas the ones in my link are all equal distance.

so, does the offset make the difference? I’ve not ridden anything with 0 offset so don’t know.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘are all oval chainrings the same..?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts