Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Are all N/W chainrings as good as each other?
  • blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I need to buy a new ring for both my bike, and was wondering if it matters what I buy?

I do find as soon as they start to wear a little I start to lose the chain about once a ride.

Are some harder wearing than others? do some hold the chain better? Or are they all a bit of a con, and I should just use a normal ring and one of the modern top only chainguide?

qwerty
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with a Works Components for price, function, finish & longevity.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

HOPE, Raceface and Superstar all seem to last as long as each other for me. Superstar didn’t seem quite as nicely finished if that’s a concern.

stevied
    Free Member

Absolute Black still going strong here. Minimal wear to the teeth and no chain drops after about 800 miles

mrjmt
    Free Member

If its a 10 speed one you want, they’re only £15 on superstar with the code ‘CRINGFB’ at the mo.

Northwind

My superstar one wore way faster than anything else I’ve used, but it cost about half as much, so that’s fair enough really. Absoluteblack chain retention isn’t as good ime but they are purty. Works have been the best out of the ones I’ve tried.

(also, maybe it’s just me but I reckon they deserve the custom, for blowing the lid off the whole narrow/wide thing- other companies were obviously waiting to see if whoever did it first got sued to death)

whitestone
    Free Member

Have had RaceFace and Hope circular NW chainrings and Absolute Black (both spider and direct mount) oval chainrings and they are all pretty much the same in terms of longevity.

A Narrow/Wide chainring has (IMO) a greater beneficial effect on chain retention than a clutch mech.

Northwind

whitestone – Member

A Narrow/Wide chainring has (IMO) a greater beneficial effect on chain retention than a clutch mech.

No doubt about it tbh, the narrow wide does almost all of the work- narrow/wide and no clutch works almost as well as having both, clutch and no narrow wide doesn’t really work at all. It’s sorcery.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Are all N/W chainrings as good as each other?’ is closed to new replies.