Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Are all EGR valves born equal?
  • windydave13
    Free Member

So it seems the EGR valve on the Exeo 2.0 TDI has decided to have a wobble resulting in misfiring at idle when cold and stalling until it has a bit of warmth in it.

I’ve stripped the EGR valve off and plan to give it a clean to see if that fixes things although it doesn’t look that dirty. I’ve bought a can of Wynns EGR cleaner so plan to give it a scrub later in the week.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/J8K7J6]EGR Valve[/url] by Dave Aspinall, on Flickr

If this doesn’t fix it and I have to replace it, is there any merit of paying the £300+ for the ones from GSF/ECC (discounted) versus £85 for the ones on eBay??

faz71

Personaly I would keep away from the eBay ones.
    ECP have a sale on ATM (don’t they always?) and a new branded (HAAS I think) EGR valve for a VAG 2.0 TDI is £125ish.
    I had a issues with my Passat before I sold it and bought a new EGR but it turned out to be something else.
    I have the old one in the garage which you can have for the cost of postage.

windydave13
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer. Had a look at ECP etc but none of the cheaper ones are in stock.

Had a bit of a google and managed to get a Valeo one which is what is currently fitted for £146 from Amazon of all places. Going to see if cleaning it works first and then fit the new one if needed.

If that doesn’t work its back to deciphering VCDS to work out what the problem is

faz71

Ok, no problem and good luck!

Inbred456
    Free Member

If it’s at idle sounds more like the Mass airflow sensor. Give it a clean with some spray solvent cleaner. They are very fragile be careful.

windydave13
    Free Member

I did wonder about MAF sensor but its lumpy even when revving and nothing showed in VCDS when I ran a scan this morning. EGR was the only thing that was showing a problem but then it decided not to work anymore so I couldn’t run a full scan. Will give it a clean as well though

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Other thing to check is the inlet manifold – we’ve had a 2006 golf tdi in the family since new and in that time it’s gine through two of them (one time the car wouldn’t start as flap was stuck starving engine of air) other time was rough idle and management light on.

chrisyork

I have an issue with my Golf GTTDI (2001) in that randomly when it wants to the turbo just stops giving boost, turn the engine off and back on and it fired back into life, if you drive it carefully after that for a bit it doesn’t do it again but when you drive it as normal (accelerate strongly up a long motorway hill etc) it’ll just drop off again a few times in a row…. very annoying when t does it. Usually does it at the worst time too…. going to a wedding or getting to Wales to go biking etc…

windydave13
    Free Member

Inlet manifold seems ok as does the throttle body which has to come off to get to the EGR valve. If cleaning or new valve doesn’t work then I may take the manifold off to get it cleaned.

@ChrisYork does yours have the variable vane turbo? My BIL had a Leon which had the variable cane turbo and the actuator over time got clogged with exhaust deposits and would get stuck. This would cause it to over boost and go into limp home mode. Off and on with the key would fix it but you quite often had to do that mid way through and overtake

matt_outandabout

@chrisyork – our Touran did exactly that, I was told it was sticky variable turbo. Apparently you can get turbo cleaned.

I cleaned our Galaxy manifold when I first had it (and was fitting new thermostat housing). Spray cleaner + tooth brush followed by posh diesel and a couple of Italian tune ups = much cleaner running. Since then I do enough miles to not have problems with egr or dpf, and choose a tank of posh diesel before a long journey every now and then.

windydave13
    Free Member

I’m currently doing about 17k a year so was hoping this wouldn’t become a problem, but sadly not. As yet i don;t know if its clogged up or an electrical issue with the unit.

I was tempted to give the manifold a bit of clean, but also worried big chunks of crap may get sucked into the cyclinders and valves

windydave13
    Free Member

After an hour cleaning the EGR valve a moment of success turned to failure. After scrubbing it clean it started and ran rather well. A spin up the dual carriageway and it was back to stuttering again.

This time VCDS was behaving itself and returned 2 faults. One for the fuel pressure sensor and the other for the oxygen sensor.

My first thought was the MAF sensor but after a bit of googling I went to check the fuel pressure sensor on the common rail. It was then I spotted the cable for it was trapped a little behind the timing belt cover. The timing belt was replaced a couple of weeks ago when the high pressure fuel pump failed.

Low and behold whilst it was trapped it’s chaffed and exposed some of the wires which is causing it to short. I’m going to tape them up so they can’t short and see if this fixes it. Too dark and wet to do it now.

Fingers crossed it fixes it and I can solder them together properly

sparksmcguff

TPS might be cheaper.

My EGR was flagging an error message. Cleared the error message. Drove fast. Cleared the error message. Drove fast.

Still showed, went to Garage. Discussed the issue. Mechanic forgot to order part immediately. Cleared error, drove fast never had the error again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Are all EGR valves born equal?’ is closed to new replies.