Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Are all chainring bolts created equal? Unscrewing issue.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got an old school Race Face Turbine five arm crank with Middleburn ‘rings.

My Shimano chainring bolt tool is too wide to sit in the chainring bolt slot.

Is there a smaller diameter tool?

cp

A file on your shimano tool?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

A file on your shimano tool?

I’m reluctant to do that as I’ve owned it for nearly thirty years.

Hareydan
    Free Member

I recently purchased the park tools version, it’s double ended and each end is a different size, so I can believe that there is more than one size of chainring bolt.

spxxky
    Free Member

Drill out the bolts and replace with ones will hex key on both sides

stayhigh

spxxky: can you link to any as I could do with some after a stuck chainbolt issue.

imn

@stayhigh – when the same happened to me a couple of years ago I got M-Part bolts which have hex profiles on both parts. HTH.

tmb467
    Free Member

I sprayed some penetrating oil on em and then used circlip pliers to hold the back of the bolt while I turned the Allen key

stayhigh

Cool, will check out the M:part ones. Cheers for that 🙂

Northwind

Big screwdriver is my normal tool, as long as the bolt hasn’t gone all the way through obviously.

hofnar
    Free Member

Get some metal from the shed and fabricate one its easy. If else big screw driver or a kitchen knife.

Disclaimer no knifes from the wedding set might anger the wife as they might bend/break

wheelie

Just come back from a ride. Came across a young lad with a brand new Inbred which had dropped two of its chainring bolts! A bit shoddy I thought……..and a long walk back for the lad.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Are all chainring bolts created equal? Unscrewing issue.’ is closed to new replies.