Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Are all Blu-Ray players upscaling?
  • the-muffin-man

Just wondered as we need to buy a new DVD player so may as well get a Blu Ray one.

Cheers!

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Pretty much, some do upscaling to 1080p, others go all the way to 4K. Although coming from an SD source it’s never going to look fantastic compared to a proper source.

No point in buying a DVD player these days, even if you don’t have a BluRay disk, also a way to get a smart TV if thats important to you and you don’t have it

Can’t think of many that don’t, although some are better than others – it all depends on budget.

Here is a reasonable selection with various budgets:

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/blu-ray/12-best-blu-ray-players-in-the-world-2013-947894

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure it matters, since your hd tv has to upscale it anyway.

Cougar

Not sure it matters, since your hd tv has to upscale it anyway.

… is the correct answer, it’s largely marketing. Your DVD player puts out ~600 lines of information (give or take 25 lines for PAL / NTSC) and your shiny HD TV will display 720 or 1040 lines; without some form of video upscaling, you’d end up with a display surrounded on all sides by a good deal of black space. This is true whether the player is a Blu-ray player or a DVD player, you’re still going from a DVD source to a HD display so the same processing has to occur.

That said, the scaling engine may be of a higher quality in a BD player than in your TV. There’s a lot of willy-waving from manufacturers about their various video processing engines, though whether or not you believe a heavily ‘enhanced’ image is a good thing or not I’ll leave as an exercise for the reader.

So in short, do you need to worry about upscaling? No. Should you let the player do the heavy lifting rather than the TV? Probably.

montylikesbeer

Sony BDPS750

Cracking little unit, got mine last week.

4K upscaling, DLNA for streaming from your lap top (snide movies you have down loaded) and all wireless so do daft cables.

Good bit of kit.

grum
    Free Member

Good excuse to sneak a PS3 past your wife I reckon. 🙂

I just bought a second hand one for £80 with the new GTA game. Plays DVD and BluRays and Netflix/4OD etc.

Cougar

Cracking little unit, got mine last week.

When I bought mine a few years ago, I looked at every model on the market and ended up with a Sony (BDP-S370). It’s been a little workhorse, can’t fault it.

Kryton57

Richer Sounds are doing a little LG unit for £39. Blu Ray and DVD

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Are all Blu-Ray players upscaling?’ is closed to new replies.