Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Are all base layers created equal?
  • ali69er
    Free Member

It’s that wonderful winter time again, or at least it seems to be getting cold. Need a base layer for wearing on both the MTB and road bike.

Anything better out thank a HH? Or at least that won’t break the bank?

mcnultycop

I swear by these:

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Torsion-Short-Sleeve-Cycling-Baselayer-p/pol01-1362-p.htm

I’ve got black and white and long and short sleeves, I just pick them up when on offer.

iainc

Current offering from DHB are very good and sensible prices.

richardkennerley

Aldi bike event starts on Thursday, some cheap baselayers on offer there, could be worth a pint.

nickjb
    Free Member

Generally pretty similar IME. Whatever is cheap. Certainly no need for big spending

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IMHO…..

Cool weather, low exertion – Merino is teh orsumz! I’ve got various from Endura, Patagucci, Smartwool, etc.
    Cool to cold weather, high exertion – Odlo or HH Warm (The merino/synthetic hybrid version)
    Properly cold weather, high exertion – Odlo base, HH Warm half zip as a mid layer, jacket on top.

lotsroad
    Free Member

Had bad experiences with merino; seems to get moth eaten and also shrink easily in wash.. Helly stuff is good, my go to is Endura. As above Worth getting a couple of cheap ones rather than one dear cos they get stinky and need overnight washes. Plus one for Aldi gear, always top notch value. Best piece of serious winter kit imo a branded Buff: the fabric is far superior to unbranded ones and worth the exxtra.

stoddys
    Free Member

Picked up a dare2b top in the halfords sale for £10 best sweat wicking base layer I’ve had. So good I went to get another.

wheely
    Free Member

Years ago I was recommended Proskins base layers for under motorbike race leathers. Found them excellent and long lasting. Then got into off road motorbiking and used these in winter/colder time at superb – & no overheat when going tough. Now use top as base layer when cycling. Can’t speak highly enough. Keep you just a right temp and wicks sweat away. I put a damp (from washing) one on last week – cold for about 2 minutes then my whole ride after I didn’t even notice.
    More expensive but they last years and you get what you pay for. Lots of options as well

https://proskins.co/active-2/active-men-2/active-men-black-baselayer-long-sleeve-crew-neck-top/

maccruiskeen

Are all base layers created equal?

No – the come in small, medium and large 🙂

kelron
    Free Member

Wiggle had/have some cheap dhb merino ones. Not been cold enough to wear mine yet but they seem nice enough.

Spin
    Free Member

Had bad experiences with merino

Merino is great unless you sweat a lot. I only use merino for low exertion activity like piste skiing.

dovebiker

Merino has to be the biggest ‘con’ for sportswear – unless you like cold, clammy baselayers? I’ve tried numerous brands over the years – X-Bionic get my vote, it’s so effective you can often dispense with a midlayer – wore it for 4 days at -20 and below in the arctic, often with just a windstopper jacket over the top. HH Lifa is pretty good for typical UK conditions, but can get a bit whiffy.

FOG

I too was sucked into the merino myth and tried a few makes. They are fine for walking but no use for my sweaty self when cycling and I returned to synth. Patagonia capilene are my favourites but only buy when on a special offer due to price. This means I have some weird colours but they do last a very long time. I have some that are 15 years old and still function perfectly

jameso

Best synthetic I’ve used (by far) is the Altura Thermocool. Thin, dries fast, very warm for the amount of fabric it uses – really effective. Feels right in a wide range of temps.

Merino has to be the biggest ‘con’ for sportswear – unless you like cold, clammy baselayers?

[quote]I too was sucked into the merino myth and tried a few makes. They are fine for walking but no use for my sweaty self when cycling and I returned to synth. [/quote]

Merino is like Goretex in that it’s great for some uses and rubbish for others. If you can ride at a pace where you’re not sweating much (ie base miles or proper cold winter riding where being sweaty means a real chill), it’s fantastic stuff. If you’re going to be wet for a long period it’s also great. For sweaty types or high intensity, or needing a fast-drying layer in mixed conditions, forget it.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

I wear the Nike sub zero base layers, cheap from outlets etc and perform really really well in cold temps

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Polypropylene = warm, quick drying
    Lycra = cooling, stays clammy.

A decent polypropylene layer will keep you warm through most of the winter even with just a windproof shell on top. The downside is it’s not as stretchy so fit’s a bit more important.

allfankledup

Decathlon BTwin thermals here for under a bike jersey….teh kids use their Kipsta stuff for athletics/rugby

reasonable price, used all year round (welcome to Scottish weather…)

dragon
    Free Member

Merino isn’t a complete con, but it certainly isn’t a wonder material, and jameso’s summary is good. However, on £ for £ performance versus a base layer from Polypropylene it comes out very badly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

However, on £ for £ performance versus a base layer from Polypropylene it comes out very badly.

PP is pretty much everything everyone raves about Merino (warm when wet, quick drying, etc) except it actually does them well raher than just better than normal wool. Except it has the capacity to really smell, not just in a bad BO kind of way, but in a “I’ve rubbed stilton on my armpits whilst wresting a Skunk” way.

maccruiskeen

Merino has to be the biggest ‘con’ for sportswear

It was until ‘Bamboo’ came along

nickc

whatever works best for you, is what’s best. I’m OK in merino and have quite a bit of it. I think though one has to accept that you’re going to sweat on a mountain bike, and both synthetic and woollen base layers are going to get damp or even wet through (especially if you’ve a pack on your back), you need to decide which you find more comfy. Merinos other advantage is that it’s non smelly over time, but I know some folk who buy £10 synthetic tops each year and are content to chuck them out when they get whiffy.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Haven’t found anything that is as good at keeping me warm and sweat wicking when required as my ODLO base layers. Very thin, but very good at the job. Washed and washed for about 8 years. Still the best performing bit of clothing I own.

kelron
    Free Member

It was until ‘Bamboo’ came along

Sportswear should be breathable, right? I don’t see the problem.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Thin tight polypropylene. Its all the same, just different finishes.
    Had to beat Lifa.
    Oh yeah. Assuming this is what you wear next to your skin, its a vest not some marketing cobblers.

chiefgrooveguru

I know some folk who buy £10 synthetic tops each year and are content to chuck them out when they get whiffy.

White vinegar kills the smell that infects Helly Hansens. Don’t throw them out!

maccruiskeen

White vinegar kills the smell that infects Helly Hansens.

As does sticking them in the freezer.

I had to freeze my walking boots last week after they got stinky from being constantly wet on a job…… forgetting I was going to have to wear them the next day. Putting your boots on straight out of the freezer at 5am puts a bit of a spring in your step

charliew

A fairly good guide to base layer science

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

My best ever ‘warm’ base layer is a Helly Hansen merino mix. I don’t know why you don’t see more of it – seems to have the ‘non-smelly’ advantages of merino with the non-clammy, quick drying, of propy.

coatesy
    Free Member

Spent a fortune on base-layers over the years, Patagonia and HH Lifa are fine, if a little expensive, Endura merino was very unimpressive (Gave it away to a mate within a month or two, despite the expense), and took a chance on a Talus cheapie from The Mountain Warehouse. Best base-layer i’ve had,available in collar/zip, and crew-neck, and regularly on special offers, as lots of MW kit often is. £12.99 each at the moment, often seen at 50% off, or 2 for 1, and often get offered knock down kit at the counter when purchasing.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

HH lifa’s my fav, I’ve found for the last few years the antibacterial stuff is lots better and mine dont stink like the old ones.
    If you search around they can be found pretty cheap also.

For me Lifa with a thin shell down to around 0Deg (maybe with a SS jersey over) and anything below I use a lifa Ice

weeksy

Decathlon had/have some merino type, not sure on the material, but DAMN they’re warm and toasty, only a Fiver too…. They’re my new go-to. If they smell after a few months, i’ll bin and buy another couple.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I know some folk who buy £10 synthetic tops each year and are content to chuck them out when they get whiffy.

They should try washing them occasionally 🙂

Most modern fabrics are pretty good IME.

Best ones I’ve got are home-made from some random fabric my wife found on sale – not sure what it is though. Quite a few years old now, very comfortable in use and haven’t picked up a smell at all. The old Helly Hansen used to absolutely reek but I doubt they are the same these days.

dragon
    Free Member

Washing your HH at a higher temp will help remove the smell IME.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve got a few of these Planet X compression base layers

Good for adding some warmth to a summer top in autumn and winter. Quite thick so can hold a bit of sweat BUT don’t seem to small – the “Siltex prolen: antibacterial protection” seems to work remarkably well. Not sure why more brands don’t use it (whatever it is?)

DezB
    Free Member

I find merino a better temperature regulator than polyester, so even though I do “run hot”, decent merino is better for me. Ones I wear most are Super Natural 140g which is a blend of some sort (from Sport Pursuit).
    I don’t pretend to know what works better for other people.

hainman
    Free Member

Aldi got their Merino in on Thursday
    I have one from last year which is ok
    Best top I have is a layer from Aldi/Lidl years ago
    Bit heavier than the usual Lycra style but very good in cold mornings/night rides
    Think it was actually a ski base layer but hey it does the job

braddersrm
    Free Member

Ice Breaker merino base layers are amazing. Comfortable, breathable and warm. I would use an alternative though if running in the rain, something like the HH Lifa tops.

http://uk.icebreaker.com/en/mens-baselayers

If looking for budget, check out your nearest Uniqlo store, it’s a fashion store with merino products. Missus got a top and bottoms, and me bottoms for our Iceland trip last winter and couldn’t fault them. Think we paid something £20 an item.

dti

Howies merino – wait for the sale.
    Lightweight ones last for years. 200g ones even longer.

aP
    Free Member

I quite like Uniqlo heat-tech tops – they come in different weights and work well and last well too.
    Strangely I know the family that set up Lifa before eventually selling it to HH.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Are all base layers created equal?’ is closed to new replies.