• This topic has 54 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mtbel.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Are all 650b bikes sluggish compared to 26” ?
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Just going to leave these here.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhS1HfvBeYA&app=desktop[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxfrykeSNCE[/video]

roverpig

I recently swapped the Fox 32 RLC forks on my (26″) Five for a set of Pikes and that has really opened my eyes to the importance of suspension. It feels (to me) like a totally different bike.

I’m sure some people can see past this better than me and still get a feel for how the underlying bike works. But I do wonder how much of our perception of a bike (particularly on a test ride) is down to how well the suspension is set up for us and the terrain we are on.

As for 29ers not being able to climb; it doesn’t seem to worry all those XC racing folk.

kimbers

trailofdestruction – Member
    Just going to leave these here.

again? i thought itd been concluded that it was a worthless experiment!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Must have missed that. Remind me again why it was worthless ?

leftyboy
    Free Member

My Whyte T-130 Works is 650b and is one of those bikes that just wants to go fast everywhere. the main thing that is making it feel a bit sluggish is the Maxxis Shortys I’m currently running, with the original Ardent/Ardent Race combo it was easy to get up to speed and easy to carry way more speed than my 26″ (very XC) HT

kimbers

trailofdestruction – Member
    Must have missed that. Remind me again why it was worthless ?

to sum up, the author of the study himself admitted that the results werent statistically significant plus the terrain chosen was a bit naff
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-size-wheel-hopefully-this-will-end-it

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

There’s little actual weight difference in the frame between Bronson and Solo. The forks etc being smaller so the Solo is lighter.

I have a Bronson and my old 2010 714 Zesty, both 1 x 11. I still ride both, the Bronson is faster overall. Both are mediums but the Zesty is the same size as a large Bronson. I like the smaller frame on the Bronson its simply more manoeuvrable and the suspension is better. 650 tyres provide more grip patch contact with the ground which I like for technical climbs.

When I went out to replace the Zesty I developed the wish list from my Zesty geometry which I liked. I discounted bikes that were massively outside the geometry. My heart was set on a new Zesty which I demoed. Then I got a demo on the Bronson. I knew it was the bike for me.

If someone beats you up a hill – its because their fitness is better than yours (given the bikes are roughly the same weight).

Also its not all about the speed up. Alomg and down is just as important, which bike overall did you like best? Choose that one.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I forgot I had started this thread.

I ended up ordering a new Nomad CC frame. After trying my mates 26″ version and loving it and reading how good the new one is I thought I would give one a go. I’m still not happy about being forced down the 650b route but a good bike will be a good bike regardless. I have ordered some light bicycle carbon rims to try and get the wheels as light as possible whilst hopefully still being durable.
    Annoyingly I have to wait a few weeks for the frame and ??? weeks for the rims.

ade9933
    Free Member

Could it be a compatibility issue?

Did you make sure to drive to your ride in an Audi? I think the silver A4 estate works best.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Is it hard work being such a knob?

ade9933 – Member
    Could it be a compatibility issue?

Did you make sure to drive to your ride in an Audi? I think the silver A4 estate works best.

dans160
    Free Member

What’s the deal with Audis, they’re great? Mine has 19inch rims. I’d like to try one with 18inch rims to see which one is fastest, most comfortable etc. But on looks alone the bigger wheels look best! Going up hills I find a lower gear helps and I don’t have any issues in keeping up with Fords or Volvos or even those pesky BMWs. Out on the flat cornering and ‘making progress’is excellent but the downs require the use of the brakes to keep the speed in check. I’m not sure wheel size will really come into it. Surely you just get the one that you like and can afford?

Wrong thread?

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

“Are all 650b bikes sluggish compared to 26” ?”

Having only ever ridden 26ers I can say with complete confidence that 26ers are faster 😉

@trailofdestruction, thanks for the video links, I enjoyed that. Looks like the industry have pulled a fast one with 650b … glad I stayed with 26″ wheels and wasn’t bitten by the 650b bug.

andyrm
    Free Member

I don’t think one test (in a very specific set of circumstances with just one rider) can be taken as “evidence” – whether that’s evidence of performance gain/loss or the lizard rulers of the earth forcing you to buy a 650B bike.

I’m now on a 650B bike of the same travel as my old 26″ – it’s faster on the clock when pushed hard, and seems to carry speed better once up to speed. It does seem slightly slower to accelerate, but that might be a relative gearing thing, a rotating mass thing, or suspension kinematics. Or it may be in my mind.

globalti
    Free Member

If anybody’s got some 650b wheels and tyres they don’t want I’ll take them off your hands, they would fill the frame and forks on my old hardtail and look better than the 26″ wheels.

mtbel
    Free Member

same way some bikes feel lighter than they are

I absolutely HATE this stupid over used statement. it’s utter bollocks and I can only assume it’s regurgitated by riders who have a far from dynamic riding style.

750b is horrible Vs 26″ though.. not so much to do with acceleration just the simple physics of gyroscopic direction change and a taller axle height 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Are all 650b bikes sluggish compared to 26” ?’ is closed to new replies.