Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Are all 142mm x 12mm hubs equal?
  • dizcostix
    Free Member

Bought a new frame that has a direct post brake mount for a 180mm rotor. When i put my wheel (with rotor) in the frame the caliper is 2-3mm away from being centred.

Because my caliper cannot be moved closer to the rotor (max adjusted towards the rotor) it appears i need to space my rotor from the hub by 2mm.

I thought the 142mm axle was a standard??

Does anyone have any measured dimensions of their hubs from edge of axle to the rotor surface mount on their hub for my comparison pleasE?

scotroutes

Within tolerances it should all fit. It could be that the mount has been welded in the wrong place though. What frame is it?

STATO
    Free Member

I thought the 142mm axle was a standard??

Its is. That’s the axle though, no one said nothing about cassette or rotor position 😆

Hope sell rotor spacers, funnily enough because they are usually the furthest away from a common location.

dizcostix
    Free Member

So is rotor shimming common practice for a lot of people??

I’ve tried searching on google briefly for hub dimsneions that show the distance from the edge of axle to the rotor position but am having no luck.

i just want to see if my industry nine hub dimension is different from other peoples!

STATO
    Free Member

There is a standard, no one follows it. Shimming the rotor is more common now frames are coming with integrated post mounts rather than adaptors. Most hubs and calipers set-ups fall within the adjustment range, some combinations dont.

cp

As already mentioned, the 142 axle is nothing in itself to do with disc rotor mounting face dimensions.

But there is huge variation in hub manufacturers on disc mount face relative to dropout adaptor face, in frame manufacturers position of the post mount holes and also disc caliper manufacturers have their variations on where they put the mounting holes relative to the theoretical disc position. That’s three lots of completely independent sources which all stack up.

Some frame/hubs/calipers are fine, others are out of fit. For ref. the hope disc spacers are good and available in a range of thicknesses.

otsdr
    Free Member

Syntace have some very nice stainless disc shims

STATO
    Free Member

Syntace have some very nice stainless disc shims…

I have some of those and they are good for getting 2 different hubs to the same alignment, but not cheap. £2 will get a hope 1 or 2mm spacer which is all you need if you only have one wheelset and just need to get the rotor into caliper adjustment range.

dizcostix
    Free Member

Thanks all, hadn’t realised that mounts were all over the shop. I’ll look at shimming up

scotroutes

dizcostix – Member
    Thanks all, hadn’t realised that mounts were all over the shop.

They shouldn’t be. What frame is it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Are all 142mm x 12mm hubs equal?’ is closed to new replies.