Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Are 26er bits worth anything now or are they scrap?
  • celticdragon

Just had a look though fleabay and there are plenty of 26er wheels on there with 0 bids, even the likes of DT Swiss etc, which I find suprising. Does everyone now ride 29ers.

I’ve been paring down my spares bin and have 3 Hope Enduro rims to get rid of, and it seems they’re consigned to the scrapman, which is a shame as they have barely 500 miles on them. One is brand new.

chestrockwell

They are worth some cash and will find a buyer if you start at 99p and offer postage. Whether they sell for what you expect is a different matter.

celticdragon

What’s a reasonable figure? I was thinking about £20 a rim.

kayak23

The market has shrunk but folks will still buy it.

What about trying a stealth ad?

backinireland
    Free Member

Maybe get a better price locally on Facebook?

PiknMix
    Free Member

What about trying a stealth ad?

😆

kerley
    Free Member

Second hand rims don’t sell for much, and second hand 26 inch rims sell for even less.

As above, 99p start and see what you get.

celticdragon

I could see why you cynical bunch would see this as a stealth ad, but a quick look in my post history would already see them listed in the for sale section. meh.

They were genuine questions.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Start with low expectations and you won’t be disappointed. Just let a set of hope/flow wheels with tyres for about 100 quid.

TimP
    Free Member

I nearly ended up with some King hub’ed wheels for about £150 a few weeks ago as they were 26″

I am still on small wheels and possibly looking for some rims. Hadn’t seen your real advert though, I’ll go have a look…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just bought an ibis mojo hd in 26″ flavour..

So clearly some idiots still buy 26″ stuff…..but it was cheeeap

chilled76
    Free Member

Rims wont sell well most of the time anyway. Generally only people who will build their own wheels will be buying rims.

Most other people tend to buy complete wheels.

When a decent set of used 26 wheels sell for about £120 a set these days trying to get £30 a rim is a tall order. A set of spokes is £35 and then cost to have it laced up.

Not many people looking for just 26 rims.

Other 26 stuff still sells ok, lower price than new kit, but a lot of that is super inflated prices these days anyway.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Rims just dont sell. I have been trying to shift a pair of wtb 650b rims for months. They are “only” 23mm wide so no interest to the enduro lot and too heavy for xc mincers. They are 60 each new and i couldnt get 20 for them as a pair. Think i am going to give them to the local recyke a bike.

mehr
    Free Member

Good condition 1 1/8 lyriks and 36s can go for a decent price on ebay

drewd

As others said there is a market, but it’s not massive. Decent condition 26er forks fetch reasonable money, it took me a while to get some Rebas at a cheap price. Wheels do sell, but some go for beer money and others a fair bit more. Many of the wheels on eBay have dings or broken spokes etc. The Stans with Hope wheelsets I had been watching go from anywhere between £70 and £150. I’d imagine scrap value would be pennies, so as others have said try 99p start auctions and see what they go for?

the-muffin-man

Where is all this cheap 26″ stuff!

Everything I look at on eBay still goes for silly money.

2nd hand rims have never fetched much though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

2nd hand rims have never fetched much though.

Indeed. I wouldn’t give anyone any more than £10 for any used rim TBH. OP want’s £50 for 3. It’s too much.

Junkyard
    Free Member

agreed just seen £150 asked for some 1 1/8 forks described t as

Used, works fine but needs service. There is some wear on stanchions so the fork surely needs some oil.

so very well used 10 year old knackered forks for £150 anyone?

VanHalen

I just bought a pair of 26er rims and front hub from crc for 60quid new. your second hand kit needs to be priced accordingly or it won’t sell as you might as well buy new.

I bought a pair of 26 flow ex mk 2 second hand for 30quid or thereabouts a year ago.

Forks seem to be holding their value ok.

celticdragon

Cheers for the input all, will bear it in mind.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Forks are still pricey….New ones anyway. Was thinking of getting a new set for my 07 stumpy “winter bike” but was amazed at the price tag. Just bought a near new second had meta 3 instead, much better value for money!

antennae
    Free Member

If it comes to the point where you’re binning functioning parts, look to see if there’s a local charity bike recycling project that might benefit. I donated a pile of 26″ rims and tyres last time I had a clearout.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Like someone above, I recently bought an Ibis Mojo HD (frame and shock) from eBay. Just over £300.

And a set of wheels for my son’s bike – superstar hubs on Mavic £40

This was to go with his 2012\13 Orange Five frame – £100.

So bargains out there

Might not be the current flavour du jour but it’s still great kit

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Are 26er bits worth anything now or are they scrap?’ is closed to new replies.