Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • Ard'Rock – Oddities
  • survivor

So like most I’m waiting for Friday for entries to open but I can’t be the only one wondering on the new format am I?

Not only is it a tenner more than last year for the enduro but the days have changed. Or you could do the same race on the Sunday for last years price but it’s got sport in the title! Was any reason given for these odd changes and price increase? I can’t get my head round it.

I’d rather do the Sunday as it’s cheaper and the same distance but the others I’ll be riding with will want to do the ‘enduro’. Feel like I’m being a bit ripped off.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They only changed them round a few weeks back, it is a bit odd. Only things I can think is more people will go early on the Friday, so more money through the shop/cafe/local places, and then if folks have the big race out of the way on the Saturday, they can party a bit harder and spend more on beer on the Saturday night.

I’m doing both anyway, and will be down on Friday aft for a bit of practice.

Simon

To be honest I hadn’t noticed that, I just intended to enter the Saturday “Enduro”. I assumed the Sport event would be only three stages like this year.

Having read the blurb it’s hard to see what the difference is!

orena45

I’m struggling to tell the difference too but going to sign up for the sport one as I’m just going for fun with mates.

No obvious difference other than the more competitive option has some Friday practice it seems

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had a look there, they’ve changed it again! I’m sure just last week the sport enduro was 35k and 3 stages?.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Having read the blurb it’s hard to see what the difference is!

saturday there will be a queue for the stages, sunday there won’t

thats what i got

is Sunday not just like last years AM Challenge, but goes through all 5 stages, unlike 3 last year?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Saturday, 5 timed stages (as in a enduro race). Sunday timed loop (one start, one finish).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

‘The same course and Timed stages As the Ard Rock enduro’. Still timed stages on the Sunday Darren.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Both days are a 45k loop with 5 timed stages. The idea is that the more serious riders do the saturday and the sunday is slightly more relaxed. No timed loop start to finish.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

5-6 stages, not finalised yet by the looks of it.

sl80
    Free Member

darrenspink – Member
    Sunday timed loop (one start, one finish).

The Sport enduro on Sunday is exactly the same as Saturday, 6 stages each individually timed. The only difference is its more of a laid back race, less focus on timings more of a ride out with mates.

The AM challenge (one start, one finish) as it was named previous years has been dropped.

bigjim

So the Sunday will actually be the more frantic race with all the trophy hunters then 😈

sl80
    Free Member

It’s bound to be 6 stages next time round too, they dropped a big hint a while back on Facebook……….

6 stages?

lapierrelady

Only diff to me seems to be prize categories- Sunday has only I female category, Saturday 3. Think I’ll do the Saturday so I can get pissed without consequences! (or do the wiggle sportive on the Sunday)

survivor

So the extra tenner is for the practice compared to no practice for the sport.

Still not impressed to be honest. Doesn’t justify price increase over last year.

I’m seeing the opportunity for more to ride the full course but I’m also seeing filthy capatilism at work.

lapierrelady

Having come from triathlon, it doesn’t seem so expensive to me. But if you’re doing lots of races it does add up!

sl80
    Free Member

Where’s the extra £10 coming from survivor?

I wasn’t planning on entering this year but have done the previous two full enduros and IIRC they cost £52 and £56. I’ve just checked and the enduro is £58 this time round.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So the extra tenner is for the practice compared to no practice for the sport.

Still not impressed to be honest. Doesn’t justify price increase over last year.

I’m seeing the opportunity for more to ride the full course but I’m also seeing filthy capatilism at work.

Yawn.

survivor

Had 49 in my head from last year for some reason. Cheers for the correction.

darrenspink
    Free Member

darrenspink – Member
    Sunday timed loop (one start, one finish).
    The Sport enduro on Sunday is exactly the same as Saturday, 6 stages each individually timed. The only difference is its more of a laid back race, less focus on timings more of a ride out with mates.
    The AM challenge (one start, one finish) as it was named previous years has been dropped.

Now im confused.

Anyway, Saturday still for me. I like the format and it also means party time that evening.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Quite happy to pay the entry at the moment but not sure i’d want to pay much more. I suppose one bonus is the flat fee of £5 for camping.

mark88

I was hoping to ride the AM challenge in 2016 after not making it there this year, shame it’s been dropped. Maybe it’ll appear as a standalone event?

Hard to justify the travel for me to ride sport if no practice is included and the early start restricts beer tent time on Saturday evening.

sandwicheater

Anyone know if we can sort out camping later/on the day or if you have to book at the same time?

rhid

I’m disappointed that they dropped the All Mountain Challenge. My bike is not expensive enough to do a proper Enduro!

karlwoof
    Free Member

Sandwicheater: You just pay a fiver when you turn up at the field for camping. Dead easy.

nosedive
    Free Member

I’m struggling to understand this, so the proper racing is saturday as that’s the only day when there is control over when people enter stages, but then you can just ride it as a loop on sunday. Is that right?

so if I want to enter and it be like a race I’ve either got to take the Friday off to practice or race it blind on the saturday

why not make the saturday bimble \ practice day and sunday proper race conditions?

sandwicheater

@karlwoof – Cheers dude.

Simon

You can’t practice the whole thing on Friday so everyone’s going to racing blind to some extent.

Kahurangi

so the proper racing is saturday as that’s the only day when there is control over when people enter stages, but then you can just ride it as a loop on sunday. Is that right?

It’s been explained to me by folks more literate than I, than the stages on sunday are still timed, but with a more relaxed approach to the 15 second gap between riders.

why not make the saturday bimble \ practice day and sunday proper race conditions?

Presumably because there was so much demand they thought it better to have twice as many racers spread over 2 days.

I think people racing on both days may have missed the point.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think people racing on both days may have missed the point

Nope, I think you’ve missed the point.

I think the route is excellent, and want to ride it twice as I enjoy it, and I can’t ride it at any other time of the year, as it goes through about 15 different land owners. I’ve also met some really great folks every time I’ve ridden the event, really enjoyed the vibe and had a great nights entertainment on the saturday.

Now, what was your point again?.

Kahurangi

Now, what was your point again?.

That the Sunday is more relaxed and less competitive. I totally understand wanting to ride the route a second time, it ought to be worth it 🙂

If the Sport Enduro was Sat and the Race Enduro, Saturday would be full of folk using it as a practice day and fewer people (total) would get to ride one day or the other!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get your alarms set for the big gun going off folks!.

beano68
    Free Member

Yeeehaaaa ! I’m in 😆 lets hope I don’t have another face plant on S5 next year ! 😉

qtip

I’m in too. Now back to bed!

woody2000

Me too, though not coming back to bed with you 🙂

Simon

In for Saturday,looks like it’s sold out now!

bspoked
    Free Member

I was there at 6:31. Saturday unavailable. Did I miss it?

DrP

In for Saturday too…

DrP

bspoked
    Free Member

Yep. 1 came back up at 6:42 and I missed that too! Jeez

wrightyson
    Free Member

Jeesus has it sold out that quick!! I got two of us in for the saturday using the link from yesterdays email.
    Its on, gonna be tough trying to beat last years placing if people are that keen 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Ard'Rock – Oddities’ is closed to new replies.