• This topic has 104 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by SirHC.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Ard Rock Enduro tyre choice
  • neenan1
    Free Member

Hi all

Any recommendations on tyre choice for Ard Rock, assuming conditions on the day are dry.

Thinking if it’s wet think I’ll be options for MM front and minion rear.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Ran specialized butcher and purgutary grids last year. Both tubeless with no issues.

niksnr
    Free Member

I ran Minion front EXO 3c and a HR2 EXO 60a rear. Just make sure you increase usual pressure(s), particularly in rear. Bloke on Maxxis stand said no less than 30psi in rear. Was a bit dubious at first, having never ridden there before. It’s bloody rocky! Wasn’t running tubes, didn’t puncture.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SirHC

Dry: Minion/Minion SS
    Wet: Minion/Minion (packing a shorty if its biblical rain)

20psi front/24 rear, plenty of rock and racing blind means line choice is what it is and rocks will be smacked into!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My usual rear tyre – a bombproof trail boss tough fast, upfront either a Mary or a DHF, dependant on mankiness levels.

Canny wait, best event in the calendar.

russyh
    Free Member

Still in the same predicament myself as what to bring. ultimately i think it will end up being Minion DHF Exo front and DHR2 Exo rear. But worse case i will stick with what i have – Magic Mary Trailstar snakeskin front and Ibex 55a rear

flange
    Free Member

I ran a hr2 front and an ardent in the rear. Both tubeless (at the start)

Needless to say, I punctured on 3 stages including the first. All rear tyre related. I’ve never been so happy to throw a tyre in the bin!

andybrad

i ran hans damphs last year and was happy with them. Swapped the rear for a nobby nic (still same front) and its not as good. (better in mud though of which there is little)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t think tread pattern is the important part of the choice process at Ard rock, the way it is at the likes of tweed valley enduros, when a bit of rain can make so much of a difference.

IMO a fast rolling, yet very robust rear is the main consideration. It’s all pretty gravelly and grassy (and bugger all grips well on wet grass).

darrenspink
    Free Member

1st year Hans damphs
    2nd year MM on the front and Rock razor on the back
    Last year Minions

Missed the magic mary really, think it just gives you that bit more confidence and bulldozer type feel going through the rocks.

Phil_H

Ones with nice thick sidewalls on the rear.
    I sliced open a brand new folding maxxis minion about 10 yards into stage 1 last year.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tick

neenan1
    Free Member

Anyone considering the Aggressor for the rear?

Stock levels in shops for Minions isn’t helping either.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just delivered and about to get thrown at the bike is a Maxxis Aggressor 27.5×2.3″ dual compound double down for the rear and a Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5×2.5″ Wide Trail Exo 3C MaxxTerra for the front.

Slightly concerned that the Aggressor doesn’t quite have the volume I’d like but the Minion on the back isn’t available in double down with a durable enough compound.

Getting hold of that DHF WT was a Labour of love though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll be fitting a nice new Mary supergravity on the front, slaughter grid on the back.

Canny wait…

russyh
    Free Member

So after painstakingly panicking and over thinking it. I have plumped for Mary front with either super gravity Razor (if it’s dry) or Hans dampf (if it’s wet)

My buddy is running an aggressor for the event, but exo……

submarined
    Free Member

I’m running a DHF 2.5 3c MaxxTerra on the front, and Slaughter Grid on the back. Taking a HR2 Exo for the rear for if it’s wet, just because it’s all I’ve got!

vincienup
    Free Member

Tough casings, high volume front and fast rolling rear of choice.

Ardrock is quite a tough one to call tyres on, the stages are mostly sharp rocks apart from an inevitable final stage riding down wet grass, but there’s a lot of pedalling and even tarmac road climbing in between. It really would punish someone on a bike set up for ultimate descending.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Last year Mary front and HR2 rear .. this year different bike same tire choice ..Mary is the only thing id run upfront ground anchor !

mark88

Is there an idiots guide to Maxxis tyres anywhere? Can’t see anything on their website that explains the different compounds

tish
    Free Member

There is this, from 2015 though and don’t know if it helps.
    Merlin explain maxxis

beano68
    Free Member

DHF 2.5 WT front and Aggressor DD Rear 😉

dans160
    Free Member

Whatever happens to be on the bike when I get it out of the shed. Which means what is on it at the moment.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Dans160, my intent was to do the same but my rear TRS+ is pretty much slick right now.

People talk about how brutal the course is on tyres but I can’t imagine it being that much different to the dark peak or verbier.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Its no different to a lakes ride or any other off trail excursion. Just ride whatever you have and have fun.

danbo
    Free Member

Magic Mary and Hans Dampf supergravitys for me last year. Worked superbly

Unfortunately my legs were not working quite as well 😉

vincienup
    Free Member

It’s much sharper than the Dark Peak. Scree, lots of loose, sharp rock that can slice sidewalls and lots of rough rocky terrain that can lead to trouble if not unweighting appropriately. I wouldn’t mind betting this accounts for a lot of the events’ reputation for killing rear tyres. There’s a bit of rooty muddy in there now too to mix it up a bit. I’ve seen plenty worse, but it’s a long way from coiffed Trail centre and has caught people out on that basis before.

It’s the 30+ km of transitioning and the big uphill road slog between the first cluster of stages and the second half that are the real killer though, you really do need to compromise bombproof DH and peddlability.

AlexSimon

I ran a Minion SS EXO rear Minion DHF EXO 3C front last year when it was dry.
    It was great for grip/speed, but finished the last stage with a soft tyre (didn’t notice on the stage) and limped back to the campsite.

I would happily run an HRII out back, but now that they are £50 I can’t bring myself to do it. £35 is my max so I may switch to Specialized Grid.

bedfordrd

Last year on the Trance: Rock Razor Pacestar, Nobby Nic Trailstar – both standard Evo SnakeSkin and run tubeless – didn’t have any issues with that setup.

This year on the Jeffsy: Magic Mary Evo Snake Skin Trailstar on the front, with the bike’s original Onza Ibex on the back, pumped up hard!! For my level of riding, it’ll be fine. Again, tubeless.

If it’s wet, I’ll swap the rear for a Super Gravity Magic Mary Trailstar, but I’m hoping it’ll stay dry as I really don’t want to push that thing round!

dans160
    Free Member

Onzadog – Part worn 2.3 Minion DHF exo thingies front and rear. I don’t usually ride rocky terrain (Aston Hill has some but not prolonged) so plenty of life in them to ruin during this ridiculous race I have been persuaded to enter. My legs, knees, toes, arse etc. are aching just thinking about it.

andybrad

more importantly does anyone have any thoughts about this extra stage they have added?

Kahurangi

Haven’t heard anything about a new stage… tell us more. Is it 6 stages now? Or one in, one out?

p.s. I have my tyre combo from last year (27.5 WTB Vigilante Tough/High Grip & Trail Boss Tough/Fast) for sale, can deliver them in time for the Friday practice 😉

andybrad

yea 6 now

dans160
    Free Member

…joy.

simon80
    Free Member

Conti Baron Projekts.
    I have had a love/hate relationship with these over the past year.
    They are definitely not fast rolling (though the rear is much better now it’s worn).
    They ALWAYS leak sealant through the sidewalls, but once set up tubeless stay up.
    They wear well (especially the side knobs compared to dhf & dhr2 3c).
    They do that horrible thing on roads where you can hear them sucking down onto the tarmac.
    However they grip almost everywhere, and seem to shrug off the Dales rocks with ease.
    I’ve done 2 recent rides around Reeth to test my fitness and tyre pressures. First ride was at 25/29 psi and was fine. Second ride I forgot to let out any air after pumping up the tyres and pressure was somewhere in the low 30s. It was a pingy, horrible ride.
    I am going to try 24/28 on Thursday, I would go lower but the transitions have scared me a little…..
    Semi slicks have crossed my mind – I’ve found Maxxis DD Minion SS in 26 ” but the thought of trying to brake on sheep shorn , damp grass has kept me away so far.
    I’m seeing if I can stay off the coward levers on the next ride, if I find any way of enlarging my testicles I may plump for the above option….

andybrad

surely a 2.1 semi slick is the way forward?

stewbaccason

I’m thinking of running a Magic Mary up front and a HRII on the back.

Need to get the magic mary ordered and convert to tubeless! 🙄
    That’s this weekend planned.

simon80
    Free Member

Just rode last night around Reeth.
    It was extremely wet…
    If you’re thinking of running a semi slick with the upcoming weather, I hope you like going sideways 😆

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ll be running a Minion DHF / SS combo. Both exo jobbies but will be bringing my Slaughter DH tyre from the Demo just in case…

If the weather is shit, I’ll pop on my DHR II.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If the weather’s shit, I might go home.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Ard Rock Enduro tyre choice’ is closed to new replies.