Viewing 29 posts - 201 through 229 (of 229 total)
  • Ard Rock '17 Debrief
  • mark88

Seems you pushed hard, beyond your ability , and crashed

Yes, it seems I did. What’s your point?
    My initial point about people being beyond their ability was aimed those who couldn’t ride down the trails. We’re talking about very different things.

Would never work,according to majority of these posts everyone on STW rates themselves as Riding Gods

Presume you’re aiming that at me? I’ve done a few southern rounds, think I put myself at 3 or 4 (with 5 being slowest). I generally finish in the top half, so if anything I rank myself too low.

doubledunter
    Free Member

I know some will call me an overly competitive elitist prick, but it’s just a case of people riding at the correct level.

Yet these people probably all finished in under 50 mins 🙄

Your clearly missing the point, doesnt matter how many punctures you get, how many mechanicals you get, your time is your time, its all part of racing.

Presume you’re aiming that at me

Not aimed at you btw, just in general

submarined
    Free Member

Pretty sure it’s already been seaid, but TBH I think the main problem with Sunday is that although it’s supposedly more relaxed, the reality is it’s got some riders in who wanted that experience, but it’s also got a large number of people in it who wanted to race but couldn’t get tickets for the saturday.

I’m not really sure there’s any way around that.

Anyways, my first ever ‘big’ race, and the first race I’ve done in 18 years, and I thought that the organisation couldn’t really have been much better.
    Let’s not get caught up in moaning, because at the end of the day, we’re bloody lucky events like this exist. It must be an absolute mare to organise when you’re talking liaisons with lots of groups of people who are traditionally quite tricky to please!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spot on Submarined. Feel priveledged to ride those trails every year, it’s been brilliant for 4 years now.

Mugboo

Having previously enjoyed last year’s Saturday Enduro and this year taken my wife and boy along to lend support/heckle, Submarined has nailed it.
    In fact next year, leave your bike at home and give others a chance. Try marshalling instead.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure if you’re not there to win you’re not racing so really, you’re just getting in the way.

Utter shite.

fifeandy
    Free Member

+1 @nobeer.

If people only raced to win, there’d be a lot of very lonely races on the calendar as only 5 people would turn up.

jonnym92

Pretty sure it’s already been seaid, but TBH I think the main problem with Sunday is that although it’s supposedly more relaxed, the reality is it’s got some riders in who wanted that experience, but it’s also got a large number of people in it who wanted to race but couldn’t get tickets for the saturday.

Yeah exactly. If you were riding Sunday you just had to accept that I think, pretty much everyone is in the same boat. But equally I think there were some riders in the Saturday race that should have been in the Sunday Sport category, it seems.
    All good fun though, I really enjoyed it.

Having not been previous years, do they just re-use the same trails with slight changes? How much is ride-able outside of the event, if any?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stage 2 is the only one that’s changed much since the first race 4 years ago, rest of them have only had minor adaptations.

I don’t think you can ride any of the stages outside the event, but happy to be corrected!.

submarined
    Free Member

I’m staying in Reeeth all week and was hoping for some similar local trails, so I popped into Dales Cycle Centre and while I was there asked about the stages and if any were rideable outside of the event. The guy very sternly stated that none were. I suspect that riding them any other time could cause a massive headache for the organisers and seriously jeopardise the future of the event.

As a result I’ve spent the rest of the week riding pretty dull bridleways and fireroad grinds, as I’m erring on the side of caution!

lowey

Yep they are all on private land. I dont mind riding cheeky, but would not entertain riding these stages as it would jeopardise the future running of a fabulous event.

Let’s not get caught up in moaning, because at the end of the day, we’re bloody lucky events like this exist. It must be an absolute mare to organise when you’re talking liaisons with lots of groups of people who are traditionally quite tricky to please!

Spot on mate.

Kahurangi

How about I go between 2 slower riders… I leave a 30 second gap to the person in front, the person behind me leaves IMMEDIATELY after me, and we’re all happy…

Just what me and the Mrs do when we’re racing together 😀 (except she gets the big gap behind her instead of in front of me) We’ve rarely had marshals object to this as we’re still keeping riders flowing through.

Anyway, we all agree that there needs to be some tweaking to the format/entries to allow the more competitive riders to be grouped together and away from the newbies, to keep the newbies from being knocked off by the racers, to dim the church bells at night.

Cracking fun as always though. Last year I thought would be my last as it’s just getting really busy but I enjoyed it so much again, I may just be back 😀

Great fun and a privilege to ride those trails with like-minded folk. Guys and girls who know they won’t be on the podium but are going to pin it and send it for mid-pack mediocrity 8)

submarined- the shop ought to be able to sell/give you some maps of where the local good stuff is. OK, the stuff we pay to race on is better but there are some decent singletrack descents around. The BW from Hurst to Storthwaite Hall being one (was used on the climb from S4 to S5 😆 )

chakaping
    Free Member

the Sunday Sport category

😯

Isn’t that one just for people who have sex with post boxes or poo down chimneys?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Isn’t that one just for people who have sex with post boxes or poo down chimneys?

It’s all about the upskirt shots…

joemmo
    Free Member

Re: self-seeding – Ive entered the Ard Moors sprint and the form asked you to rate yourself 1-5 from something like ‘EWS pro’ to ‘just hoping to finish’. Was this not the same in Ard Rock?

Maybe the answer is to provide better information such as video and photos of the kind of terrain riders will be expected to ride so people can make a more honest appraisal of their level.

andybrad

quite agree.

Still bloody brill though.

So next year all the Sunday hecklers agreed we would just meet up with a box of beer and heckle away. Proper fun 🙂 I was more knackered from shouting than riding (i pushed a lot) 🙂

submarined
    Free Member

This is the most glorious photo I’ve seen of racing for a long while.

https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/2321874

Or it might be this one
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/2321875

😀

EDIT: I’m not laughing at you, rider, Hope you’re OK! The photo timing is perfect.

jamesoz

Here’s a pic of me looking a little tense. Looks like I’m trying to snap my bars or have a big poo.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/A5Hbwvoa9AM[/video]

Great vid.

postierich
    Free Member

Good to meet lots of folks off STW 🙂
    39 pics of me!!!!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Wo8Ut3]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Onzadog
    Free Member

That pic seems to have been a good spot. Lots of people sharing their version of that one.

andybrad

hey look that tire is still inflated 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

hey look that tire is still inflated

4 years, never had a puncture there yet… :mrgreen:

andybrad

No but i think rich had a couple. He didn’t seem impressed on stage 3 when i minced pass him.

🙂

postierich
    Free Member

Andy was it you on the fat bike?

unklehomered
    Free Member

This is the most glorious photo I’ve seen of racing for a long while.

https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/2321874

Or it might be this one
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/2321875

EDIT: I’m not laughing at you, rider, Hope you’re OK! The photo timing is perfect.

But why is the evil jedi woman flinging him into the rocks? what did he do?

andybrad

no i was the one screaming
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/2318894

woody2000

At least you weren’t walking Andy! 🙂

https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/2334027

andybrad

Look at the state of that!!!!

still you nearly bet me and i didnt walk!!!

Viewing 29 posts - 201 through 229 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘Ard Rock '17 Debrief’ is closed to new replies.