Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Architectual abandoned gems- Manchester (urban investigation content)
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

AFAIK, The Castle on Oldham St still hasn’t reopened yet (it shut down late last year and is due to reopen any time now if it hasn’t already); but yeah, i’m told it has a great selection of beers there. i’ve played several gigs in the back room there too, it’s a real dump (holes in the ceiling, wires hanging out of the walls etc!) but still the only bar i’m comfortable going in on Oldham St these days…

hora
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    Are we having a Manc’s night out then?

More on Mayfield… It may become Manchester’s EuroStar terminal!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Mayfield_railway_station

Wow. I love the Eurostar as well. Wow, its of course pie in the sky but still, to dream…

Abit far out but there is a cracking pub in Elland, I think its been in constant use as a pub since 1300’something. Its floor is all angled/windown frames sunk etc but it still serves booze….mostly to local chav’s mind but they dont bother you.

GrahamS

You never know what you’ll find:

hora
    Free Member

Whats that? Where is it? You dont have any shreddies on either? 😕

xherbivorex
    Free Member

that’s moss side leisure centre, isn’t it?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

LOL!

GrahamS

Not me I hasten to add. It one of those weirdos on the 28dayslater forum:

Read the Page 3 Lovelies….rarrr!!! probably nsfw thread.

(which is fairly safe for work provided your boss doen’t mind you looking at nekkid weirdos in disused buildings).

snowslave

Someone’s mentioned the Victoria Baths on Hathersage Road – they’re flippin awesome. They have open days every now and then actually. Well worth a visit…

Harry_the_Spider

That picture looks like The Edge Of Darkness meets Noel’s House Party.

hora
    Free Member

snowslave- last Sunday of the month. There was an identical one in Hudds (Cambridgeroad baths) that was collosal that I used to visit as a kid- they even had HUGE cast iron free-standing baths side by side still in use for people to have a bath in (probably poor victorians as a treat)- it was stunning but guess what? Hudds council didnt list it and knocked it down to save money. After all, we have the lovely concrete breeze-block swimming baths at the bottom of town. ****.

Harry_the_Spider

The big house in Philips Park (Whitefield, North Manchester) got pulled down in thew 50’s when the family died out and the local council couldn’t afford to maintain it.

Wouldn’t happen now.

snowslave

Yeah – the geezers trying to restore Victoria Baths are saints. I remember them before they closed, but they were quite knackered by then.

I think they’re planning to turn bits of it into flats or something cos they don’t have the dosh to do the lot, and the money they get from the lottery, TV comps etc only serve to patch things up really. Shame, it’d be great to see them back and fully functioning. We could all bin our bathrooms and go there like in the good old days. And the scallies would be restricted to the third class pool.

mrchrispy

great thread but did someone mention booze?
    🙂

Harry_the_Spider

I think we should have a Friday night in a couple of weeks. For architectural reasons obviously.

hora
    Free Member

I’m in. 🙂

fatblokeattheback
    Free Member

Who mentioned beer?

crazy-legs

NBT posted a link to me a few days ago about the air raid shelters underneath Stockport (well, it’s sort of Manchester…)
    The guy does loads of photography of abandoned buildings etc, his pics are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31449088@N08/sets/

Some amazing stuff in there, well worth half an hour to look through.

hora
    Free Member

Who mentioned beer?

Beer + a city excursion into a possible subterranean or Maryfield station anyone?

Maryfield would be great for impromptu beer cans etc 😉

fatblokeattheback
    Free Member

Might be up for that if work doesn’t get in the way 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ll be well up for this..

My mate has built a website about London like this..

http://www.derelictlondon.com/

It would be ace to do a local one here in Manchester..

Times and dates- I’ll be there… 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Architectual abandoned gems- Manchester (urban investigation content)’ is closed to new replies.