Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Architects pre-consultation fees
  • jimmy

If I wanted to take a building on for a certain purpose, would an architect charge to give it a quick once over and opinion; or not, on the basis that they would be in with a strong chance of getting the full job if it came to it?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Given the current economic climate, they might not charge initially, especially if a visit isn't needed, ie they could work off photos and/or drawings.

jimmy

its more to do with whether the building was structurally suitable rather than do any drawings. would that actually be an architect?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

You'll need a structural engineer then.

aP
    Free Member

If you're asking for professional advice and then making a decision based on it then you'll almost cetainly have to pay for it, unless you're willing to sign up to a document that states that "This advice was given without prejudice or reward".

mikey74
    Free Member

As someone who works for an architects, I would say that an initial opinion would not attract a fee. Following the initial opinion and exchange of ideas, the architect would then most likely give you a fee proposal to do a feasability study, depending on the size of project of course.

The architects could do a condition survey of the building, which they would charge for, but I would advise getting the structure checked out by a structural engineer if there are any concerns.

fenboy

as an architect

we wouldn't charge you for an initial visit/assessment but would advise without prejudice or reward based on the suitability of the building for your purpose, advice on change of use, planning, etc, etc. and would hope you'd appoint us to take job forward. would also advise on need for other consultants ie structural survey/comments if required.

if you wanted something written or report for finance/business case then a fee would/might come into it.

although as we're all cutting each others throats at the moment you will get lots of differing advice and as always you end up getting what you pay for. my advice would be to approach architects with experience in the type of project you're looking at and then see what they say, most will do a no obligation first assessment.

meeeee
    Free Member

whats the significance / purpoese of this 'without prejudice or reward' statment?

aP
    Free Member

If as a professional you ask for, and I give advice, then you can claim against me for any mistake that I make in giving that advice – even though you haven't paid me for it.

VanHalen

aP – Our consultancy has been adviused we are legally liable to get shafted regardless of any written statement or agreement.

aP
    Free Member

Well, yes there is that, so its better to agree a scope of works, use a contract and agree a fee!

Squirrel

Or get your advice right…….

aP
    Free Member

If you ain't payin', I ain't givin' it 😛

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

I work closely with Architects and Mikey74 and Fenboy are up the alley you want.

The fancier the firm though the more likely that they will want upfront fees.

giantjason
    Free Member

you would have to agree a schedule of services and contract and then pay for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Architects pre-consultation fees’ is closed to new replies.