Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Architects of the forum
  • thered

I’m planning an extension and would like an Architect to plan it to ensure I get the best use of space.

We’ve had a couple round and there are 2 that we’ve decided we could work with but the process doesn’t make sense to me, they want us to appoint them before they will show us what their plans are for our house, this sounds remarkably arse about face to me.

If this is an industry recognised process, how do I get a good understanding of what their thoughts are?

Additionally is it normal to see a huge disparity between the price of an independent architect and a large firm?

lesgrandepotato

The way we did it (albeit on a slightly larger scale) was we wrote a brief on what we wanted to achieve e.g light, flow to the garden, family space etc. The architects then surveyed the house as is to determine real sizes and then prepped a set of initial ideas. We then worked these though for 4-5 iterations and then got on with planning

jimdubleyou

Is the house of a particularly unique or special design?

If not, I suggest you have a look on the local council planning department. You can download all the plans from other peoples applications – we’ve got some good ideas from other people’s architects 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Best advice I’ve had was not to draw what you think you need but to write the architect a brief, describing what you want the extension to do for you. Include mood boards to give an idea of the look but let them draw the plan.

mikey74
    Free Member

they want us to appoint them before they will show us what their plans are for our house, this sounds remarkably arse about face to me.

Look at this from their point-of-view: You want them to do work for free, before you even consider which Architect to go for? Now that is ridiculous, and sums up everything wrong with people’s attitudes towards Architects. No one expects Solicitors, Engineers, window cleaners etc to do work for free, so why the hell should Architects?

My advice, from someone who works for an Architects practice, is: unless it’s a large extension > (£200K) then go to either a local independent Arch. technician or a one-man-band Architect. That sort of work will be too small for most reasonably-sized Architects practices and will end up costing you a disproportionate amount. Either that, or steal ideas from the local planning website, as above :mrgreen:

lesgrandepotato

Adding to my above, most architects have a ‘style’ you are looking for one that matches your aspirations / desires so you get the right feel. From my viewpoint it’s worth spending on design as it’s a fractional cost of the overall. But it is very noticeable if it’s lacking…

Yak

Small practice only for that kind of work imo. Again, as above it is unreasonable to expect work for free in your selection process. Just get them round to your house and have a chat over your aspirations. It will be obvious who has the right kind of approach for you. Also look for recommendations and have a look at previous work.

Globalti has a good approach too. ^

I am an architect. I frequently work with a mate (1 man practice) who covers your area. PM me if interested.

thered

I’m not expecting free work. The architects tell me they will come up with proposals after initial meetings, I’d expect to be able to see those proposals.

You don’t agree to buy a car before the test drive.

lesgrandepotato

So you’ve been quoted the standard riba 4 stages? From memory. Document as is, development of plans, planning submission and then building regs drawings.
    Just sign up for what you want to start with?

mikey74
    Free Member

I’d expect to be able to see those proposals.

And you can, if you pay for them.

You don’t agree to buy a car before the test drive.

That is a completely different scenario. Architects practices do not have the resources of car companies, or even dealerships. Anyway, do you think the dealer would let you take that car down the road to another dealer and say: Can you give me a better deal on something similar?

ffej
    Free Member

I’m not expecting free work. The architects tell me they will come up with proposals after initial meetings, I’d expect to be able to see those proposals.

However imagine Architect A comes up with “great idea!” but quotes you £2k. Architect B has no such idea.. but quotes you £1k..

The risk is that you convey “great idea” to Architect B, save yourself 1k and Architect A has wasted time he could have spent on a paying job..

J

lesgrandepotato

Perhaps the bit missing here is that the proposal is actually what you are buying. That and the documentation of it. But basically the idea is the product

Yak

The analogy is wrong as a car is a product. You are looking to appoint an architect to provide a service, not supply a product.

Don’t look for the solution at this stage. Look to appoint someone who you are happy to work with, you are happy with their other works, and someone who you feel best understands your aspirations.

gray

Whereabouts in the country are we talking? I’m in Oxford and might be looking for some architecty services soonish. Any recommendations?

(Sorry for the hijack!)

Stevet1
    Free Member

Give womp a call, his technical architecture drawings are knockout
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/can-my-neighbour-build-this

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Architects of the forum’ is closed to new replies.