• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Architect or not?
  • andyl
    Free Member

We are embarking on a self build barn conversion + outbuildings and trying to do it on a budget so we can have a very small mortgage and originally I was planning on tacking the planners myself and doing all the design and then getting in with various professionals and trades when needed. But I am now torn on whether or not to use an architect after meeting one at a sustainable build event and getting a quote.

As I write this I am coming to the conclusion it makes sense to use an architect but some opinions would be good for both sides.

A few things on my mind:

We are going for permitted development as this is imperative both for a more likely outcome and to save £50-60k in a legal clause and then hopefully extending with planning permission (house designed with the extension and then removed and will function fine without but be A LOT nicer with it).

I am not looking forward to all the building regs stuff

Even though I have made an outline design I am under no illusions that an architect will easily add little tweaks here and there that make all the difference

I also suspect they will pretty much pay for themselves in terms of saving my mistakes and suggesting better ways to do something.

On the flip side there is an just an irrational sense of me not doing it all myself and the cost is 10% of our build budget for the house and 20% of the outbuildings which come later.

tekp2
    Free Member

Working with an architect made a massive positive difference to the outcome of our previous renovation project. Just engaged the same chap to start work on our new house. YMMV I guess, but our experience was very good and worth the cost several times over.

fionap

I’m an architect so I’m slightly biased but I think you will save money in the long run if you employ a professional. You should be able to find someone who will work with you and incorporate your ideas (and also tell you if they’re rubbish).

You can do building regulations on a notice so you don’t need full plans but you will need drawings & calcs from a structural engineer.

By permitted development do you mean class MB rights to convert from agricultural to residential? If so, watch out, it’s not straightforward. Have a read of http://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1330471/barn-storm-why-councils-refused-half-agricultural-to-residential-permitted-development

andyl
    Free Member

yeah under no illusions about the difficulties of getting type Q PD. But if we went full planning route then they would be able to use the “unsustainable location” reason to refuse which they should not do for PD as barns are pretty much always in remote locations.

We are also building a combined workshop, office and car port (tractor, trailers, hay and lambing) which will replace and expand on an existing metal shed. The architect are quoting for full detail design on that which I was not expecting but may well take them up on it as we did want them to originally do the planning section and the detail and regs side is another £3k so not a huge amount.

Total fees will be in the region of £11k + vat for both buildings.

We can claim back the VAT on materials and labour for the house but not the professional fees or on the workshop/office which will help and save us about £10k.

sandwicheater

Thought this post was going to be like knifey spoony.

Is disappointed.

br
    Free Member

We’re in the process of converting an outbuilding to a granny annex.

While I knew exactly what we wanted to do, and had created the plans in Visio this was so far from what was actually needed for planning/building control etc that he’s more than earned his money. And that is without including the negotiating with both Planning and Building Control, management of the Engineers and working with our main contractor.

Consequently I’m glad that we chose him based upon his local knowledge and general approach. Design-wise he’s not really ‘created’ anything, more put my plans into reality.

Also glad that he went VAT-free last year 🙂

Do not underestimate the faff with the Council, and don’t make my mistake of assuming that once we’d planning that was it over with – as Building Control is a whole new world.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Architect or not?’ is closed to new replies.