Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Architech Fees
  • bash
    Free Member

I’m looking at putting a double storey extension on the side of my house and possibly wrapping it around the back too. I’ve spoken to a local builder who quoted a rough guide of £1k per sq m but said it would be best to get in an architech and send the plans out for costings.

Any idea how much this would cost? Extension would be approx 8m x 1.5m , just enough to make the existing rooms on that sideof the house larger. The back would consist of adding a second floor above the existing kitchen.

Any other input would be appreciated, never done anything like this before so don’t know where to start!

Cheers,

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What’s an architech?

wwaswas

You probably ‘only’ need an architectural technician (or whatever they’re called). It’s more a case of making sure that whatever you do meets building regs and ‘works’ than needing a full on architect?

Certainly cheaper to go for the former.

nickjb
    Free Member

Depends on what you are building. If it is simple, ie you know where all the rooms and openings are going as there is little choice, then an architectural technician will be best. They will just turn your rough plan in proper drawings. If you need some design and clever ideas to make it all work then an architect will be better (and more expensive)

bash
    Free Member

I’ve got a rough idea of where I want everything but clever ideas may come in useful! Any ideas of costs to get an Architect in, ballpark would be fine 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

What’s an architech?

I think he means artichoke.

footflaps

They normally charge a percentage of the total build cost (5-10%), so are not cheap.

The-Beard

It will depend on what you want the architect to do as to how much they’ll charge. Best thing to do is approach a small local firm and ask them for some advice, they’ll be happy to talk to through the services they can offer. All this talk about technicians being cheaper is not necessarily true.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Got these from RIBA guidelines for architects fees.
    The figures are for a class 5 works (Alterations to residential houses and flats for individuals).

Build cost Fee
    20k 16.5%
    50k 14.4%
    100k 13.25%
    200k 12.4%

Your project will probably be a Class 5 ‘works to existing buildings’, so if your build costs are £75000 (for example), the fee charge would be just under 14%. Therefore, £75,000 x 14% = £10,500.

We are looking at a build of a similar scale, but with a redesign of the downstairs living space. We have chosen to go with an architectural technician, but know of his previous work and are happy to go with him.
    The costs are considerably less.

Don’t forget the VAT, which is added to the figures too (unless you pay cash 😉 )
    Good luck.

jfletch
    Free Member

Architects may charge by the hour as well. £50 + per hour.

I reckon you’d be looking at at least £3k for an extension of that size to get you the ideas, the drawings, some work on the costings with you builder and through building regs/planning.

You may need to pay for a structural engineer on top if you need any steels (which you probably will if you are making existing rooms larger and putting a second storey on a existing first) which will be £300-500.

Depends where you live on actual cost but buildings regs will probably be another £350 and planning permission £150.

Not cheap to do things properly. You could probably get someone just to draw the plans and get you through planning and buildings regs for around £1k.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Also make sure that you get a quote for their full service to completion, not just up to a point. Costs could escalate unexpectedly if not.
    Make sure the quote includes a reasonable number design revisions. You will not get the design right in a couple of goes generally.

marcus7
    Free Member

Blimey, sounds like my house…., To get through planning youll be looking at around, £1K plus VAT then if needed another £1K for a structural engineer. Building control again then a proper set of drawings which depends on how far you want to go. Its not cheap but if you want to try early stages of rate my brickie then cutting corners and costs at this stage is risky. If you know your stuff on regs etc or want to do it then go for it but in past experience the phrase “its not on the drawing so will cost more” will send shivers down your spine!.

buzz1024
    Free Member

just been through this with a 2 storey 6m x 6m extension – total fees including structural engineer were just under £5k for a job that will be around £75k. I feel the money was well spent on an architect rather than a technician as the job was more involved than just drawing up plans which I could have done myself.
    make sure you get to see some other stuff that the Architect has done and you’ll get a better rate from someone who has just branched out on his own.

aP
    Free Member

You could agree a fixed fee lump sum with your artichoke for each of the Stages of Work. It gives you a clear definition of what they will do and gives cost certainty.
    I do almost all of my work based on this method of costing jobs.
    Not resi admittedly.

cchris2lou

For a 60k extension we paid £900 for the architect, 300 for drawings, 300 to get through planning, 300 for final sets of drawings .
    Structural engineer was 700 on top.

trail_rat
    Free Member

marcus7 has it …. theres also the “errr thats not actually possible in practice” that comes with some technicians and even architects drawings…….

paying mores no guarantee this wont happen but like most things if you can get a recomendation from someone you trust its a good start.

wonder how the fee structure above would work if it was DIY’d and homered and thus cost alot less 😉

jamesy01
    Free Member

Search your local Planning portal for extensions in your area and look at the plans to see who draughted them. Select 2/3 and get them round to give you a quote.
    You will also need to give consideration as to how far you want the Architect / Technician to go. Do you want a basic design service, post contract support or full project management?
    Another route is to speak with reputable builders in your area as they will have ‘pet’ Architect who feeds them work and vise verse. They may be able to provide a full service from design to completion.
    For what its worth I wouldn’t pay over £1K.

Might be an idea to reveal your location for STW recommendations!

bash
    Free Member

Jesus, prices ranging from £1k to £10k!!! Based in Manchester, most houses on our road have had extensions of varying degrees so I may go dook knocking to get some recommendations.

Actually got the idea for what I want from an Estate Agents floor plan as we don’t have enough width down the side of the house to just add a double storey extension to simply add another room or two that way 🙁

boxfish
    Free Member

We paid £800 plus VAT for initial drawings, building regs drawings and subsequent tweaks. Plus another £150 for steel calculations from another company. This was for a ground floor extension (35 sq m) and knock-through. Total cost of our build is ~ £50k

EDIT: We agreed architrave fees up front 😉

muddyground
    Free Member

Don’t make the assumption that any old architect will do either, as they are all professionals, aren’t they? Some are frankly rubbish and have no idea what goes into a building. Watch out for those who are just front men for a drawing company, or who sub all their drawing work out to a third party – they’ll just suck money out of you and any drawings will be as much use as a box of fudge. Check your architect out as you would the builder, and don’t accept anything at face value – qualifications are way, way different to actual knowledge.

ajc
    Free Member

1k sq m is at the bottom end of the price range for a build where you appoint a main contractor, and could easily head towards 1.5 sq m depending on spec and area of the country you are in. An architect is likely to cost from £400 a day. Planning drawings often cost in the region of £1500 with another £2000 – £3000 for all build reg drawings on this sort of job. If your only paying £800 all in the architect is either desperate or it was done by the work experience student.

tom199
    Free Member

I would quote (architectural technologist) about £750-900 to undertake survey, a few possible options, a set of planning drawings inc all associated forms and design and access statements etc. Then another £300-500 for building regulations drawings and submission.
    Ranges in price allow for complexity of proposals, any specific site requirements or constraints (conservation area etc)
    If you can find a local one man band type of structural engineer you can probably get him down to about £150-200 per beam again depending on the complexity and quantity. But make sure he has correct insurances in place
    Don’t forget to allow for local authority fees for planning and building regs.
    Also you may want to have a look on the planning portal at the permitted development section as there is a chance that yours may fall within it. But be sure to check the original planning permission document incase permitted development rights were removed from your property when it was granted. Hope this helps

boxelder

Any decent architect (like Mrs box) will come and have a look and give you some ideas/thoughts and then explain costs. This should be at no charge. They’ll then survey, draw up and send out to tender. Working drawings are another chunk.
    The wrap around bit sounds inefficient.

boxfish
    Free Member

If your only paying £800 all in the architect is either desperate or it was done by the work experience student.

How little you know of the circumstances surrounding our building work. Well done, anyway.

bash
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help, just out of curiosity why does the wrap around sound inefficient?

I’ll see who the people a few doors down used for their extension and ring a couple of local architects to see what they say too.

ajc
    Free Member

Box fish I work in the industry and know about 20 architects personally half of which are 1 man bands, and none of them would do a set of drawings for £800. If you want to charge a lower day rate than the trades that build your designs then well done you.

boxfish
    Free Member

Well, a combination of good industry connections allied to the fact that our development is part of a larger project meant that we got lucky and saved a few quid. An unusual set of circumstances, granted.

pjm84
    Free Member

If it is simple, ie you know where all the rooms and openings are going as there is little choice, then an architectural technician will be best

LMAO

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Architech Fees’ is closed to new replies.