Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Arch Mk 3 rim…. can't get tyres on!!
  • Mbnut
    Free Member

So I have a set of the Arch Mk3 rims. They look great and the guy that built them said they were a joy to build… so all good right??

Wrong.

I am trying to mount Schawlbe tyres on them….. 3 hours of blood, sweat (lots of sweat!) and not so much tears as moments of maniacal rage and I get one on… of course in the melee I forgot to put any jollop in there.

Two hours later and I still can’t get the damn thing off enough to add some.

So has anyone got some of these rims? What tyres are you running and how was it getting them on?

My concern is that if I get a problem out on the trail i’m fubarred!!

Cheers

otsdr
    Free Member

Just remove the valve core and use a syringe.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Thanks but I guess the question is what brand of tyres goes onto these rims easily?

I now have the jallop in but I am more concerned with how I would deal with having to get a tyre off on the hill.

khani
    Free Member

Don’t take the tyre off, use the anchovie repair thingys

joshvegas
    Free Member
    ad3000
    Free Member

I know what you are going through…but don’t despair. Maxxis folding tyres fit fine, I have fitted crossmarks and beavers without any issue. Started opposite the valve and used washing up liquid to get them to bed in. I could get nowheere near with schwalbes.

Nextdaytyres have some good prices on maxxis at the mo.

dirtydog
    Free Member

As above, start opposite the valve…if tyres are new mount them on another set of wheels using tubes, inflate to maximum recommended pressure and leave overnight, then try again on the Stans.

frogstomp

Taking them off: start at the valve, making sure the rest of the bead is pushed down into the rim well.

Putting them on: start opposite the bead and again make sure the bead is pushed down in the rim well to give you extra slack by the time you get to the valve.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Thanks AD, so Maxxis will go on.

Thanks all,it turns out that Scwalbe tyres, especially Super Gravity won’t go on without a massive struggle… then getting them off is even harder.

I now have them on and jollop in, they are also Procored as I am setting the bike up for a month in the Alps.

There is no way I am taking them off till one gives up now but I will grab some Maxxis to take with me…. bit gutted as I bought 6 blooming tyres to see me through the next year or so!!

Now to figure out what Maxxis to get.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

That’s a bit of a turn off if you can’t mount Schwalbes on em . 😐

Mbnut
    Free Member

Yeah… it was a SG so wondering if it might have been a bit easier with a SS.

You know I am no lightweight, literally 5 hours of serious toil, a pretty good workout!!

Hoping that the fact they are SG and Procore means they will just stay on the bike till the end of August with no issues.

barbs
    Free Member

I had no problems getting my Schwalbes (albeit used ones) onto new mk3 flows………

gelert
    Free Member

I got a set of SG tyres on my mk3 arches no problem, as difficult as the flow ex they replaced which is to say no problem. Haven’t ridden them though due to crashing just before their maiden ride. So brand new re-build on my hope hubs sat ready to go and nobody to ride them 🙁 gutted.

Hand built by the awesome Llandegla boys on DT Swiss spokes. Look awesome.

frogstomp

The Procore will make it harder as it is taking up the rim well.

transition1
    Free Member

watch the pro core video…..

chrissyharding
    Free Member

I spent about 16 hours in total trying.
    A HR2 went on, wouldn’t sit properly on the rim. It wouldn’t fit evenly across the rim. Ran like a bad buckle. Nor would it seal properly. I broke a really robust tyre lever trying to remove it. Ended up using a really blunt flat screwdriver to remove it.
    tried on and off 3 times.
    Went to WTB Vigilante similar difficulty. Wouldn’t seal, nor sit evenly. Eventually gave up. Went to LBS, bought a new back wheel Alex rim assembled in England. Got it home set it up tubeless in about 25 mins.
    Stans Arch was hung up in shed and sworn at.

gelert
    Free Member

I have an old Crest 21mm rim which is really difficult to get tyres on. One of the most difficult rims to mount tyres on but once on they seal up fine. You really do have to get the bead into the centre channel with them.

Was the Arch in question @chrissyharding the Mark 3 26mm wide internal or the older 21mm one? I suspect it was the older one which is very similar looking to the old Crest.

Flow EX (25.5mm internal) has always been really nice to work with and the new Arch Mk3 2016 seems to be no different. It looks suitably side at 26mm internal and the new rim profile looks really nice.

I’m still yet to ride the Arch Mk3 Hope Hub wheels due to injury! 5th week off the bike 🙁 Argh!

Good little write up on PB about Stans. I didn’t know they were such a small company. They certainly seem a lot bigger. They make great wheels so good on them. Would love me a set of their Bravo Carbon wheels one day.

Gotama
    Free Member

Given by your own admission you’re a big lad, an Arch EX is a strange choice for pro-core and a month in the alps isn’t it? Or have they got tougher since the Mk2 Arch?

andybrad

using flows and crest here. No issue with hans damfs at all. Unless you use gorilla tape which makes them a little more tricky.

johnnystorm

Oooh. It’s 2012 all over again with Schwalbes not going on Stans! 😆

Mbnut
    Free Member

A little update.

So the Arch Mk 3 rims with Procore have just done a month in the Alps including the Trans Savoie…

No punctures and just one quick tweak to 2 spokes.

Happy man.

steel4real
    Free Member

Excellent – but what tyres did you use ???

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Arch Mk 3 rim…. can't get tyres on!!’ is closed to new replies.