Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Arch EX or Grail rims for CX
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I’m building some new wheels for the crosser and the iron crosses I had my mind set on are now gone so am left with grails (or iron cross at normal price) but have spotted some arch ex which weigh the same and are 1mm wider, any reason not to? Max pressures don’t seem to be an issue

EDIT: Or is there anything else I should be looking at?

kiwijohn

Alpha 400?
    Use them on my Singular & they’ve been bombproof.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Did look at those but heard bad things about them and tubeless cx tyres, plus can’t get them as cheap

cp

I use WTB frequency i19, which work great. CRC have them

jonk

If you want to run road tyres get the grail, if not crest, arch and iron cross.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Grails popular amongst my CX mates.

Race & Offroad sportive Gravel stuff..

chrishc777
    Free Member

I was looking at those WTBs as well, cheap with BC discount and the lightest option, apart from spending twice as much on Iron Cross to save 20g.

How about Crests?

I’ll be running cx tyres only on these, tubeless as I’ll be selling the road bike and getting a separate set of wheels for road tyres on the crosser

BadlyWiredDog

How about Crests?

I run a set of Hope Hoops Crest 29ers on mine set up with tubeless cross tyres from 33 up to 38 depending on the tyre and they’ve been great with good tyre profiles. I suspect all the Stan’s options will do the job just fine.

firestarter
    Free Member

I had crests but now have grails they feel nicer tbh

BadlyWiredDog

I had crests but now have grails they feel nicer tbh

In what way do they feel ‘nicer’? Just wondering. The Crests feel fine to me, but I don’t have any direct comparison for perspective. Quicker? More supple? More precise? Better tyre profile?

firestarter
    Free Member

They feel stiffer and the tyre profile is better. The crests didn’t feel bad it just feels different with the grails. Certainly feel a better rim for the tyres I’m using

honourablegeorge

What CX tyres are working on Crests for you chaps? (Tubeless)

BadlyWiredDog

So the internal width difference of 0.7mm gives a noticeable different tyre profile, 20.3mm on the Grail versus 21mm on the Crest? I hadn’t realised that such a small difference could have such an obvious impact. Interesting… what tyres are you using btw?

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve run both TR and non-TR versions of the Bontrager CX0 (sort of semi-slickish) – from 33 to 38 – tubeless on Crests and the WTB Cross Boss, which I think is TR by default, on the same rims. All work well for me.

firestarter
    Free Member

It does strangely enough but maybe it’s the 35mm and 32mm tyres I’m using. Or perhaps due to the rim wall height it’s on optical illusion but the bit that physically holds the Bead on is a different size, shape and profile iirc. They are defo stiffer

honourablegeorge

Ta, BWD. Have some awful wire Contis at the moment that sit crooked and are impossible to fit or remove.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve been using arch ex rims on my cx for several years now with no issues. I’ve used 33 and 35mm tyres. Max pressure ice done is 60 which is over the 55 stated max. It’s worth noting that I only managed that pressure with stans cx tyres. Others blew off by 55 (messy!).

I usually run 40-45psi which seems about right for off road cx (rather than cx racing). I’m pretty heavy though

fasthaggis

What are the Grails like if you wanted to use 25/28s on them?

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve not tried tbh

simondbarnes

Currently using Spesh Terra Pro and have previously used Vittoria XG Pro TNT. Both have worked very well but prefer the Terra.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Arch EX or Grail rims for CX’ is closed to new replies.