Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Arch ex 29er help
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Agh! Had an epic fail trying to get 2 different type of tyres onto my new hoops 🙁
    Geax Sagauaro and a Michi.

I can’t get the last 30cm or so on for love nor money. I have never had a drama like this before!!!
    Is there a black art to these rims??

scotroutes

Learn to fit tyres properly?

Fit the tyre into the bead opposite the valve first and make sure it stays in the bead all the way round. The last bit (just at the valve) should just pop on with a flick of the thumbs.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Geax…on a stans…..no chance?
    I tried everything to get my TNT saguaro on a stans rim,
    I failed

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’ve never had an issue with any other rim/tyre combo before. The tyres popped on non Stan’s rims fine.

velomanic
    Free Member

I can sympathise, tried to get some tyres on Crest 29er rims, couldn’t get X-Kings or Rapid Robs on, finally got some WTB’s to fit. My thumbs are still hurting…

rickon
    Free Member

Geax…on a stans…..no chance

This.

If they’re the TNT ones, it just wont work.

Stans rims have a large ERD, so they make non-tubeless tyres fit tight, so they don’t blow off the rim or burp when riding. The problem is, tyre manufacturers also try to solve this problem by making their tyre’s ETRTO small (the internal tyre diameter), so when both the rim maker and an tyre maker try to solve the same problem – they give the customer a problem.

I wouldn’t recommend forcing them on, as they’ll be too tight and eventually the bead will bend, and the tyre will blow off the rim. You’ll have a broken tyre, and a spooged over wall, at best.

rickon
    Free Member

My thumbs are still hurting…

tyre levers 😉 (and patience)

robarnold
    Free Member

Never had problems with Arch Ex rims but maybe I was lucky with my choice of tyres. Crests, on the other hand are an absolute nightmare, it’s no secret.

I ran Hans Dampfs and Bontrager XR4s on my Arch EX 29ers and could get them on and off with my hands simply.

I now run Flow EX 29ers which are easier still and are bombproof.

It may not be what you want to hear but maybe try different tyres? He’ll of a lot cheaper than swapping rims

velomanic
    Free Member

tyre levers (and patience)

…both snapped at the same time!

wwaswas

I got GEAX Suguaranananooos onto my Crests with no trouble.

As long as the beads were dropped into the well they were fine.

traildog
    Free Member

As long as the beads were dropped into the well they were fine.

IME people start relying on tyre levers and brute force too much and should really be checking the above.

Having said that, I’ve just mounted a road tubeless tyre and it took me two days of swearing.

mccraque

I’ve got a set of Arch EX in 29 and crests in 26. I also run a set of full on proper USTs.

From my experience – anything that is UST or similar to UST (Geax)…just forget it on stans.

Tubeless ready beads – Conti Protection series, Racesport series, Schwalbes, Bonty, Specialized….work an absolute treat. All go on and off with fingers if you seat the bead in the centre of the rim initially (in the deepest part of the rim).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Arch ex 29er help’ is closed to new replies.