Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Arcade Fire
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

are ****

discuss

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d say 5 stars actually.

TheFopster
    Free Member

In my opinion, Funeral was a work of complete genius. Best album of the year, or most years thereabouts. All subsequent output has been a bit disappointing purely because Funeral was good. Go watch them do “Rebellion…Lies” on Jools Holland (available at a YouTube near you). If you can watch that and not be stopped in your tracks…. then you probably don’t like them. Maybe you knew that already?

DezB
    Free Member

Wouldn’t say they were ****, but never got into them myself.
    I liked the thing with the trees growing down my old road in Leigh Park, but none of their songs has made me do a Wow.

BigJohn

If you don’t like Arcade Fire you’ll hate Guillemots.

I like them both, but I really can’t understand the fuss about Mumford & Sons. They did ONE SONG with a swear in it about 3 years ago. That’s all.

TheFopster
    Free Member

May as well try this for size…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42g4T_tZPTA[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Ah thanks The Fopster. It must be because Spiritualized did it right before.

plumber
    Free Member

Absolutely bollox in every respect and that video confirms my seething hatred of them and their ilk

Q Dezb innit

Shackleton

They have done some good stuff, some less so. Certainly innovative and sometimes suit the mood completely.

At the end of the day no one said you have to like them!

DezB
    Free Member

Q Dezb innit

Wassatmean?

Lifer
    Free Member

It’s amazing how a band with so many members can produce such a bland sound.

Garry_Lager

Agree with the Fopster – Funeral is in a different league. Forgot I owned The Suburbs tbh, even though I liked it just fine it’s just not that memorable.

scaredypants

wot fopster said

I think they epitomise “not living up to early promise” or maybe even arguably sold out a bit – certainly haven’t progressed as I hoped

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Lifer + 1.

I’d heard about how good they were for ages before I finally got round to listening to them.

They are just boring.

scaredypants

It’s amazing how a band with so many members can produce such a bland sound

bit like committees getting nothing done when too many members ?

scottidog
    Free Member

Lifer + 1.

I’d heard about how good they were for ages before I finally got round to listening to them.

They are just boring.

WTF! Are you listening to the same band?

The first two albums are anything but boring and there are very few other bands out there producing anything anywhere near as original and innovative. Try listening to the neighbourhood tracks from Funeral- each is completely different but equally brilliant, tell me what’s boring about those? You may not like their music but to say they are boring is just ignorant. You must be listening to some pretty special stuff if Arcade Fire bore you.

For what it’s worth I love the Suburbs too, it takes a few proper listens which might be more than some can handle without writing it off as boring. It is much more subtle and does not have the same anthemic standout tracks but as a single cohesive work I think it just about beats the first two albums.

nicko74

Funeral – fantastic
    Neon Bible – pretty good, lost some of the magic
    Suburbs – just isn’t doing it for me, to be honest. It appears to be Arcade Fire by numbers, unfortunately.

Similarly, the first time I saw them (Brixton, Neon Bible tour) they were great; second time (Toronto, latest tour) they were a bit… well, not quite as good.

But that may just be me, rather than them.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGdyG_83nX4[/video]

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“to say they are boring is just ignorant”

scottidog – It’s just an honest opinion mate.

I listen to a lot of music. Compared to the NWA I was listening to yesterday, yes, Arcade Fire are extremely boring. 😉

And their two drummers are rubbish. I was expecting a bit of James Brown when I saw those two kits on stage. Instead I got James Blunt.

Lifer
    Free Member

I couldn’t tell you which album I’ve heard but it’s probably the more recent stuff. Will have a listen to Funeral tonight (if it’s on Spotify?)

DezB
    Free Member

original and innovative

Do I have to mention Spiritualized again?

scottidog
    Free Member

OK fair enough, NWA certainly grab your attention far more than Arcade Fire ever could!

Lifer I reckon Funeral should be on spotify, or youtube or somewhere- give it a shot!

atlaz
    Free Member

Off to see Spiritualized later this year (I think). At least he talks to the rest of the band now unlike in Spaceman 3.

Anyway, as for the use of the word “boring”. Perhaps the phrase you’re looking for is “Not really my sort of thing”?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Or I could just use “boring.”

😉

TheFopster
    Free Member

I have a Spiritualized album somewhere. Not bothered listening to it in years.

Unlike Arcade Fire. And Public Enemy.

Must dig out Staight Outta Compton again…

anagallis_arvensis

I loved the first album, but his voice seems very weak live.

Poor mans wonderstuff
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ[/video]

_tom_
    Free Member

Not a fan, I don’t really get this sort of music.

seosamh77
    Free Member

take themselves too seriously..they are rotten imo.

Raindog
    Free Member

I don’t understand the fuss – they sound like a Canadian version of the Levellers to me. I don’t like the Levellers either. Each to their own though.

CountZero

Spiritualized? I bought an album once, ‘cos all the critics went on about how great they were. Listened to it once, don’t even know where I put it. Dull, duller, dullest. Move along people, nothing happening here.
    Arcade Fire, on the other hand, I first heard on 6Music years ago before Funeral came out, and they started my love affair with Canadian music. Certainly one of the most exciting live bands I’ve ever seen, at Ally Pally on the Neon Bible tour there was a full-on mosh pit going on. Neon Bible wasn’t as good as Funeral, certainly but The Suburbs is up there with Funeral. Can’t wait for their Hyde Park gig, which, funnily enough, has Mumford & Son as support. Anyone calling them crap or rubbish or whatever is just being a prat; if you want rubbish listen to an hour or so of Radio 1. Incessant autotuned clones indistinguishable from the previous hour’s programming. Go back to rehashing the past with your Spiritualized comfort blankets, I’ll carry on enjoying music that’s current and invigorating.
    Doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy old stuff, I’ve got fifty years of music to fall back on, and forty years of gig going thank you, and more to look forward to.

RichPenny
    Free Member

WTF is the point of starting a thread about music you don’t like? All you’ll get is some people telling you you’re deaf, some agreeing with you and others recommending more music you won’t like 😀

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Yeah, but Arcade Fire are rubbish.

😀

kimbers

anyone here steve lamaq show on 6music earlier
    the panel flamed arcade fire

i agree with them

DezB
    Free Member

. Go back to rehashing the past with your Spiritualized comfort blankets, I’ll carry on enjoying music that’s current and invigorating

Excuse me while I piss myself 😆

TheFopster
    Free Member

. Go back to rehashing the past with your Spiritualized comfort blankets, I’ll carry on enjoying music that’s current and invigorating

Excuse me while I piss myself

They are dull though.

djglover
    Free Member

Middleclass dinner party music, just like Elbow.

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup, sorry – toss. I actually went and looked up that “Rebellion…Lies” vid before I saw it was linked to. My God – I’m very open minded when it comes to music and enjoy everything from Hendrix, DJ Shadow, Folk (old and new) right through to SOAD, Metallica and Mahler. But that, was toss.

spitspatspot
    Free Member

I’ve always viewed them as A Silver Mt. Zion for people who watch Hollyoaks

DezB
    Free Member

Do I really have to explain why I mentioned Spiritualized? Jeez, not cos they’re the be-all and end-all, not cos I even bleedin listen to them these days! Just all the Arcade Fire I’ve heard (admittedly not much), rather than being new and innovative, just seems to have derived from stuff Spiritualized have done in the past.
    MmmK?
    Disclaimer:
    I’m not always right about music, but I always have an opinion 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

I’ve got The Suburbs sitting on my desk [over there] haven’t listened to it yet, and weirdly although I went out and spent money on it, I’m not in a massive rush to listen to it either. 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Arcade Fire’ is closed to new replies.