Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Arborists…. (And garden owners)
  • Kryton57

So, We have a tree in our garden which overhangs next door. The chap from next wanted the overhanging (about 10″thick) branch removed at removed at the Junction. I’ve been diplomatic because as far as I understand he could have asked us to pay for it, but is doing so himself.

I met with the Arb guys this morning to give them permission, on the basis they were removing the limb and keeping the “shape” of the tree. The Arb guy agree’d because making it one sided would cause it to lean/fall in high winds into our garden.

But we’ve ended up with this (the purple one);

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nKH7Tm]Untitled[/url]

Now, thats half a tree right? I expected the top of the crown to retain its shape, and as you can see the view from Kryton Jnr’s window is now exposed to the properties at the back. The building at the end of the Garden is our garage btw.

What to do? It can’t be put back so:

a) I feel I’m almost force to pay for the other side of the tree to be thinned
    b) I could rant
    c) Anything else?

I doesn’t sit right with me but I did get out of the wrong said of the bed this morning…. Or am I being precious?

Yak

a) You gave him permission to do this. Anything else done to the tree has to be done by you.

It is a bit of a whopper, so maybe getting the same arb guy to thin out the other side would be good. Is he still there? I’d reduce the height too if possible. Then pay your proportion.

Kryton57

I gave him permission to remove the limb and by his own expert opinion not leave it one sided so as to avoid it leaning and to keep the shape. It doesn’t look like it’s been left that way.

Plus I’m skint. But it looks like I need to budget for a thin next year

Yak

Ok – he was meant to even it up as part of the costs to you neighbour then? Get back onto the phone to him if he’s been paid already for this.

BillMC

Trees and neighbours do not sit comfortably. I would get rid if I were you. If you hack it about it’ll look monstrous if you leave it it will be a source of irritation and possibly conflict. Looks to me like you could do it incrementally yourself and save the money.

Kryton57

Actually I’m calming down a bit after going down to have a proper look.

The three main vertical spurs of the trunk remain, and there’s no huge limb on our side so apart from the foliage – which sudden visual impact of being removed perhaps led to my annoyance – the structure of the tree is very central.

I’m now wondering why he went so high. Next door is rented and as you can see laste year the landlord cut the garden in half. I hope he’s not thinking of building / placing anything monstrously high in the bottom half…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I had the same issue a couple of years ago. My neighbour too mentioned my overhanging tree, so I got a local Gardener in to sort it, simple instruction to a thin trim taking the overhang away from next door. Came home to no tree.
    😕

sharkbait
    Free Member

Shame, it’s a nice tree that’s been there for much longer than the neighbours house 🙁
    Personally I wouldn’t rush into anything. If you take much off your side then it ‘could’ look even more stupid. Live with it for 12 months and then decide.
    Next doors ‘garden’ now looks like a car park.

Kryton57

Shame, it’s a nice tree that’s been there for much longer than the neighbours house
    Personally I wouldn’t rush into anything. If you take much off your side then it ‘could’ look even more stupid. Live with it for 12 months and then decide.

Very wise – Me and Mrs K had that discision and hour or so ago – when the new growth appears next year it may not look so bad.

Next doors ‘garden’ now looks like a car park.

Yep 😕 Typically created by someone that doesn’t live here and have to put up with the view. I appreciate you can’t see the gardens next door but one and further, but they are all nicely kept row of victorian houses by long time residents…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Arborists…. (And garden owners)’ is closed to new replies.