Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Araldite on Carbon frame
  • storck69
    Free Member

As you will all be technically more proficient in making trail side repairs compared to this skinny legged roadie I thought this would be the better forum to ask advice.

I made a small nick on my seat stay (near cassette and rear drop-out) when chain dropped while on rollers last night. It looks to have taken all the paint off and first layer of carbon frame (but I reckon no deeper that 1/2 mm in total) about 1cm long (and about 2mm wide).

Would it be ok to apply Araldite over gash or should I get something special? I don’t think I need to worry about carbon strength as the seat stay of bike (Storck) are massive and should be OK.

Your thoughts appreciated (as I have always found good advice here).

wwaswas

one of those carbon fibre cable rub patches you can get from halfords to just cover it cosmetically?

nedrapier

The resin used for Carbon fibre composite is Epoxy, same(ish) as Araldite.

I’d have thought it would be perfect.

I am not a composites engineer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s only a cosmetic filler, so it should work fine.

You can overfill then sand & polish afterwards.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Make sure it won’t effect the carbon resin. Trek recommend using Gorillas Glue for sticking on their seat stay protectors on carbon frames, but that probably won’t help your issues….

storck69
    Free Member

Thanks all. Looking at it closer (and with a very bright light) it is purely the paint (many layers) and not into carbon. Have applied Araldite as I don’t want the paint to chip of more. I will get a patch to cover. This is the first time chain has dropped (just put on new shifters and cables). Even shifting is sweet I will check stops (I think I dropped it when trying to do to many shifts down at once).

tonyplym
    Free Member

If you use Araldite Clear then you could leave the repair slightly proud – the hardened epoxy is almost invisible, and if the chain drops again it’ll only hit the raised repair, not the surrounding carbon.

storck69
    Free Member

Yes a thickened bit around the seat stay/chain stay on drive side would make sense. Surprised manufacturers don’t stick a patch there (as the do on chain stay by front derailleur).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Araldite on Carbon frame’ is closed to new replies.