Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • aquaponics of sorts
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I have a fish pond next to the house, it’s about 2.5mx3mx50cm deep. It has various fish in it that look like koi carp or golfdish.

It is covered over by the stairs, that lead up to the bedrooms and office upstairs – odd setup, apparantely called Bali style.

I’ve mused with the idea of setting up a hydroponics garden, possibly using the fish pond as the nutrient source, there are certainly enough fish shitting in it.

Initially plans were to build the setup in the fishpond itself, until last night I realised that it got no direct sunlight. So with that plan scuppered it will be built beside it.

Blue PVC piping is readily available, it will be kept simple for now maybe three rows of 1.5m each.

Two questions of the technically minded.

1. Will it work.

2. When I build the frame out of pvc pipe and feeders, should I feed the water in at the top through a submerged pump, and let gravity do the work of returning it to the pond.

I’m assuming a drop of 1m or so will be enough to push the water up and over the ledge into the pond.

or should it be pumped from the bottom up and let gravity do it’s work on returning it to the pond?

I had planned on having water moving through the whole frame, but I think that is pointless now.

Xylene
    Free Member

Red dots are outlet pipes for my wife to lose fish through, pond is behind it. Arrow up has a small area a tank could be placed, but it is 3m above ground level.

Plans would be to set it up in front of the pond where it gets sunlight from 10am onward.

Any reason it wouldn’t work other than I don’t really know what I am doing?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘aquaponics of sorts’ is closed to new replies.