• This topic has 156 replies, 69 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mt.
Viewing 37 posts - 121 through 157 (of 157 total)
  • appropriateness of the battle of britain flypast.
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

zokes – Member

As it clearly wasn’t a draw (not even in the Monty Python’s Black Night sense of the word), presumably as one side (Britain) won the BoB, the other side (Germany) must have lost? Unless you live in a parallel universe in which both opposing sides won?

Indeed zokes, so perhaps you can explain why you felt the need to emphasise that Germany had lost, after I had pointed out that Britain had won the Battle of Britain.

As you say, unless you live in a parallel universe in which both opposing sides won why would anyone want to say that ? What was the point which you were trying to make ?

mrmo
    Free Member

and back to the original question, is it appropriate to celebrate beating one of your major trading partners 70 years later, when the coronation happened 60 years ago and thus isn’t directly relevant to the battle of britain. BoB at remembrance day, air shows, VE day etc fine. but for the celebration of the coronation or other even more tenuous events?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

and back to the original question, is it appropriate to celebrate beating one of your major trading partners 70 years later

yes – the queen grew up during the war, she was clearly pleased to see the fly past, plus germany ‘dragged’ us into two wars last century, and war is a terrible thing and people should be reminded of this and the huge cost regularly…

Klunk
    Free Member

the queen grew up during the war, she was clearly pleased to see the fly past, plus germany the Queens Great Uncle ‘dragged’ us into two wars last century WWI leading to WWII,

FIFY

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

is it appropriate to celebrate beating one of your major trading partners 70 years later

Of course it is. Specially when the consequences of your major trading partner beating you, invading you, and occupying you, would have been so horrendous. Remember there are very good examples of this major trading partner doing precisely that to other major trading partners. I can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t want to celebrate.

duckman

Unless you live in a parallel universe in which both opposing sides won?

Strange; given your previous,I thought you would have been keen to claim WW11 as a British victory, while claiming that as England had the biggest population,it is only fair that England got most of the credit….While suggesting any campaign for Scottish independence is an ungrateful slap in the face for all the dead of every major conflict ever….Rather than suggest Germany lost it, which is the emphasis you put. (as noted by others)

And back to the original question; Yes a flypast is entirely appropriate.

grum
    Free Member

As I said in the thread about favourite sounds. I find it a bit weird/unsettling the way so many people (well blokes actually) seem to have such a hard-on for military planes etc. Yes I enjoyed playing with model spitfires etc when I was a kid, but I grew out of it – and anyway was always taught that glorifying war wasn’t something to be proud of.

Yeah you can argue it’s just about remembrance and celebrating our engineering history etc – but I don’t think that’s the whole story for many people.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I find it a bit weird/unsettling the way so many people (well blokes actually) seem to have such a hard-on for military planes etc.

+1

But STW has helped me greatly in understanding this kind of thing to be fair.

but I don’t think that’s the whole story for many people.

Clearly, it isn’t. For some, for sure, it is. For others it’s a pile of jingoistic shite. But it’s not going to stop anytime soon. There are plenty in the country who still like to do the more formal version of singing “two world wars and one world cup”.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I find it a bit weird/unsettling the way so many people (well blokes actually) seem to have such a hard-on for military planes etc. Yes I enjoyed playing with model spitfires etc when I was a kid, but I grew out of it

And I find a bit weird and unsettling that anyone should equate an appreciation of the Spitfire and the role it played with sexual arousal.

Still I guess it takes all sorts………it’s a funny ol’world ain’t it ?

grum
    Free Member

And I find a bit weird and unsettling that anyone should equate an appreciation of the Spitfire and the role it played with sexual arousal.

It’s the way you lot talk about it. It’s quite clear you’re getting a little bit too excited about the idea of big engines, guns, explosions etc.

duckman

I love it when you talk dirty Grum.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s the way you lot talk about it. It’s quite clear you’re getting a little bit too excited about the idea of big engines, guns, explosions etc.

Do you sometimes wonder what we’re wearing ? As you imagine all these sexually aroused men.

scuzz
    Free Member

Still I guess it takes all sorts………it’s a funny ol’world ain’t it ?
    Psst… Wanna hear some Big Ol’ Diesel Train Engines starting up?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

grum
    Free Member

Do you sometimes wonder what we’re wearing ? As you imagine all these sexually aroused men.

I know exactly what you’re wearing.

mrmo
    Free Member

mind you the current Queen and her consort are Elizabeth Saxe-Coberg and Gotha and Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg….

duckman

mrmo – Member
    mind you the current Queen and her consort are Elizabeth Saxe-Coberg and Gotha and Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg….

Posted 3 minutes ago # Report-Post

And? We went to war with Queen Vicky’s Grandson, 😀 and we would do it again.Especially if we had democracy to uphold/WMD to protect ourselves from.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Some forget just how old the queen is. The Queen would have probably been killed during the war if it wasn’t for the RAF scuppering the plans for Operation Sealion.

So it was a fitting tribute.

Also, a lot of people here know a lot about aircraft. Low boost! :mrgreen: Not many people know about this sort of thing! IL2 Sturmovik nerds by any chance? :mrgreen:

Flying is better than sex, unfortunately not managed to fly a Speitfire yet. Sat in one but thats it. Almost got a backseat ride in a modified P51 at Duxford once. I’ve never been so gutted in my life after being informed I’d have been given a ride if I’d asked 2 hours earlier!

rkk01
    Free Member

As I said in the thread about favourite sounds. I find it a bit weird/unsettling the way so many people (well blokes actually) seem to have such a hard-on for military planes etc.

Genuinely interested in what is going on here. There can be no doubt (in my mind) that certain sounds trigger real, genuine emotional response. Too many people ar stirred by the sound of a Merlin powered aircraft for the response to be a peculiar male sexual peccadillo.

The “military” aspect is irrelevant. To me it is the pitch and volume, especially the Doppler effect that you get when an aircraft turns towards you. Hairs stand up on the neck – a classic fight or flight adrenaline response.

Same last week at the TT. There is a lot more to this. I don’t see how mal sexual fantasy play any part at all.

As for the OP. Yes, can see the point. Just think of it as a historic parade. Focus is on BoB purely because UK has been very short sighted about preserving (and maintaining) a wider and more representative selection…

bwaarp
    Free Member

Oh and Grums making rather wonderful misinformed opinions. People are not masturbating over war/killing, people just enjoy old aircraft in the same way they enjoy old steam trains and old racing cars etc. They have a lot of agricultural character that modern machines do not.

Notice most of the people that like them on here, are probably engineers.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZwJiK0fJ0[/video]

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

.Especially if we had …/WMD to protect ourselves from.

We don’t need real WMDs, imaginary ones are clearly enough justification, especially if you have God on your side as well.

grum
    Free Member

Too many people ar stirred by the sound of a Merlin powered aircraft for the response to be a peculiar male sexual peccadillo.

I wasn’t really claiming it was sexual, I just implied that in order to be slightly more insulting, and everyone picked up on that small part of my point for some reason. 😉

I just think it feeds into/forms part of a kind of macho, ‘I’m a man’s man’, gung-ho, mildly jingoistic characteristic – I bet Clarkson loves war plane noises. 😉

There’s lots of people (again, blokes) on here who love nothing more than to compete to prove how much they know about the latest missiles, aircraft carriers, fighter planes etc. We have a weird national obsession with the Spitfire, it’s become like some kind of religious symbol.

Yeah I’m sure it’s partly about the engineering etc (as I acknowledged ages ago), but it’s clearly not just that, otherwise why not the same fondness for other items of engineering history from the same era? Give me a nice tractor any day over a plane designed for killing people.

You all sound a bit like the WWII re-enactors who claim it’s just about the uniforms and being historically accurate then got secretly filmed professing their love for Hitler. 😛

bwaarp
    Free Member

Grum, there is LOADS of fondness for 1920’s trains and cars. See all the steam train rides and the Goodwood festival.

You’ll find soldiers who hate Clarkson types.

TBH I kind of agree with you to a point Grum, I **** hate airsofters and Clarkson types for example but don’t mind reenactment societies because they contribute to societies acknowledgement of our history, I have nothing against soldiers either. Usually the latter have an understanding of what violence actually entails and are never quite to willing to endorse war as the general public are.

Marin
    Free Member

What a long argument. Hurray for the fly past. Why not celebrate that as a nation we stood togethor instead of being our usual devisive selves and as a war it was about the only one really worth fighting. Waving a flag doesn’t always mean youre a right wing nut job and why not celebrate past history as it always repeats itself if only we weren’t too dumb or arrogant to listen.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I just think it feeds into/forms part of a kind of macho, ‘I’m a man’s man’, gung-ho…….

I bet Her Majesty loves the sight of a Spitfire flypast, despite her not being a man’s man who needs to feed into her macho. Whatever the **** that means.

We have a weird national obsession with the Spitfire…..

So you think. I think not understanding how or why the Spitfire has a special place in the collective heart of the nation is weird.

Funny that.

grum
    Free Member

Whatever the **** that means.

You know full well what it means. Did you leave off the word ‘characteristic’ from the quote to try and make it look like it doesn’t make sense? Clever.

So you think. I think not understanding how or why the Spitfire has a special place in the collective heart of the nation is weird.

I understand fine thanks, doesn’t mean I buy into it though. Given that many historians think the importance of the BoB (and the Spitfire) to the outcome of the war has been massively exaggerated, yes it’s weird – it forms part of jingoistic national myths about our superior engineering, skill and bravery over the evil inferior Germans.

I could go on about how the Hurricane was probably more important anyway, but then I’d start to sound like one of those people who spaff over military hardware. 😉

TuckerUK
    Free Member

…evil inferior Germans.

Strange, I don’t know anyone that thinks the Germans were evil or inferior. In fact, most agree they were far superior where it mattered, hence out nations justifiable pride at having defeated them (even with tons of luck, for want of a better word).

TuckerUK
    Free Member

FFS, not the old Hurricane vs Spitfire diatribe…again.

The facts.

Yes, the Hurricane was available earlier, in greater numbers, and was easier to fly and repair. Yes, the majority of aircraft shot down by an RAF fighter were shot down by a Hurricane. However, the Hurricane was quickly outclassed by German fighters, and later in WWII was relegated to second line duties such as ground attack. Could we have won the BoB with unlimited numbers of Hurricanes and experienced pilots? NO!

The Spitfire was nearly a generation ahead of the Hurricane (which was little more than a biplane with one wing taken off). It was the only fighter aircraft of any side to be built throughout WWII. It was also the only aircraft to see front line service in every theatre of operations in WWII. Its design enabled it to be developed through numerous models keeping pace with aircraft of the opposition. Could we have won the BoB with unlimited numbers of Spitfires and experienced pilots?? UNDOUBTEDLY!

grum
    Free Member

but then I’d start to sound like one of those people who spaff over military hardware.

😛

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did you leave off the word ‘characteristic’ from the quote to try and make it look like it doesn’t make sense? Clever.

No, I left a few other words out as well as that one – it was just an arbitrary decision where to stop the quote.

It still doesn’t make much sense though, unless of course you think Her Majesty couldn’t possibly have enjoyed the flypast, nor any other women for that matter.

Presumably if it feeds into/forms part of a kind of macho, ‘I’m a man’s man’, gung-ho, mildly jingoistic characteristic, then it has no appeal to women.

BTW I’m sure Clarkson would hugely approve of your sexist stereotyping.

zokes
    Free Member

It strikes me that Grum is the only one here who keeps bringing up the topic of masturbation…

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/9756706.Germans_horrified_by_Nazi_uniforms_at_Haworth_1940s_festival/?ref=rss

A delegation of German visitors was left shocked after being greeted by the sight of revellers dressed in Nazi SS officer uniforms at a wartime festival.

Members of the 30-strong party from Bradford’s twin town, Hamm, reacted in horror after people donned swastikas and other Nazi regalia during Haworth’s latest 1940s-style celebration.

Well – They started it 😀

transapp
    Free Member

Edit, days ago and i can’t be arsed

CountZero

I wasn’t really claiming it was sexual, I just implied that in order to be slightly more insulting, and everyone picked up on that small part of my point for some reason.

I just think it feeds into/forms part of a kind of macho, ‘I’m a man’s man’, gung-ho, mildly jingoistic characteristic – I bet Clarkson loves war plane noises.

There’s lots of people (again, blokes) on here who love nothing more than to compete to prove how much they know about the latest missiles, aircraft carriers, fighter planes etc. We have a weird national obsession with the Spitfire, it’s become like some kind of religious symbol.
    Funny, that. I know a good number of women who love the sound of piston-engined aircraft, and several who love fast jets, too.
    If you want to make out it’s a macho love of killing machines, well, possibly you’re right, but it’s a fact that fighter aircraft are sleek because of the need for manoeuvrability and speed, in exactly the same way that a falcon, a dragonfly, a dolphin, a marlin, a shark or a cheetah are sleek and beautiful. Form follows function. A beautiful object or creature is beautiful because of its form, which derives from its function. Divorce it from the function, and you still have an inherently beautiful object.

I just implied that in order to be slightly more insulting, and everyone picked up on that small part of my point for some reason.

Now, I wonder why that would be? Because you were trying to be “slightly more insulting”? Nah, couldn’t be…

airtragic
    Free Member

I remember being harangued at uni by a young lady on the phallic symbolism of missiles, aircraft etc. As CountZero says, it’s actually about minimising drag and resistance. Come to think of it, I pointed out, that’s why a phallus is that shape too. Not one of my more successful chat up lines. 😀

oliverd1981
    Free Member

So on the basis of time available, what matters? the Romans, Angles, William the Conqueror/Bastard, Magna Carta,Tudors/Bloody Mary, Lady Jane, the Cromwellian civil war, William and Mary, the Stuarts, georgians, victoria, the rise and fall of empire

Can’t neatly sum up all this with a flypast though can you?

Although arguably we were a lot more successful up until this point.

mt
    Free Member

What about the float by, that had boats from our other great victory at Dunkirk. Should they have been there for Queeny to wave at?

Viewing 37 posts - 121 through 157 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘appropriateness of the battle of britain flypast.’ is closed to new replies.