Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Appreciating Classic. One careful owner.
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

All this talk of soul and the only car i’m even remotely interested in us this badboy….

http://www.tomhartleyjnr.com/used/1982/classic/renault/1982-classic-renault-moira-swadlincote-for-sale-000611

wwaswas

There’s me thinking “who’s moira swadlincote?” in the url and it turns out it’s a place.

Very Agatha Christie!

tomhoward

Oh sweet Jesus….the sold list…

And that’s just what Jnr has sold. Snr has been at it for decades and built the original buisness up, from what I’ve seen in interviews and documentaries, he’s a man you could never tire of punching in the face.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    P-Jay
    Free Member

And that’s just what Jnr has sold. Snr has been at it for decades and built the original buisness up, from what I’ve seen in interviews and documentaries, he’s a man you could never tire of punching in the face.

Jnr is worse than Snr, when we dealt with them we thankfully dealt with their Sales Guy who was a decent bloke (Aussie bloke, I forget the name) but the few times we couldn’t…

tomhoward

Who would have thought the offspring of a bellend self made multimillionaire second hand car dealer, who inherited the family business, would turn out to be a prick too eh 😆

Speeder

The yellow F1 is a ****ing unicorn! It simply can’t be compared to any other car because there’s no other car like it**. It’s BNWT, it’s a delivery mileage 250GTO, it’s a private collection Mona Lisa, it’s unique, even McLaren don’t have one like it.*
    Because it hasn’t been driven, it can’t be driven. If you can afford it, you can afford another one to actually drive. I’m pretty much certain that it will never do any more than roll from dehumidified garage to saleroom to dehumidified garage for the rest of history.

* Having said that there may well turn out to be something similar in a garage in Dubai where someone has bought 2 or 3, they were only £650k (or thereabouts) new anyway.

** It is a horrible colour

joshvegas
    Free Member

It simply can’t be compared to any other car

It can.

You would look a right bellend driving around in that.

You would not look a right bellend driving a golf/fiesta etc.

Simples.

tomhoward

they were only £650k (or thereabouts) new anyway.

Iirc it was the first million dollar production car…

At a time where the supercar market was in the toilet, and ‘only’ £650k, is 1.2mil adjusted for inflation in today’s money. Can only think of a handful of cars that top that now and those are such limited numbers that the manufacturer chooses the buyer, and I bet none of them will be speculators.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The 220 was unveiled in 1988, with four wheel drive and a pukka V12. Investors reacted well to it, but Jaguar had to sub out construction and design to TWR, hence the 2wd and Metro 6R4 engine. Some of the interior bits were lifted straight out of the Ford parts bin at a time when Ford weren’t known for soft touch plastic that wasn’t grey.

Every few years there’s a cyclical trend of asset prices going high, before the bottom falls out of the market. I remember the madness during the late 1980s when people paid a fortune for anything with a Ferrari badge, only to discover that they were fragile and rust prone and unless you had an air-conditioned garage and a deep pockets, then you’d quickly end up with an unsalable pup.

I had a colleague who went to Europe in the late 1990s and returned with an LHD Testarossa for hot hatch money!

bodgy
    Free Member

I’m just not sure about the colour.

Yellow car no returns!

IGMC

jimjam
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member

At a time where the supercar market was in the toilet, and ‘only’ £650k, is 1.2mil adjusted for inflation in today’s money. Can only think of a handful of cars that top that now and those are such limited numbers that the manufacturer chooses the buyer, and I bet none of them will be speculators.

That’s where it gets interesting. LaFerrari, Porsche 918, McLaren P1 have all sold far more units than the F1. All the LaFerraris were spoken for several times over before they came out so of course they can choose who gets them but many of all of the above have popped up on the second hand marker. Same for Pagani, Koenigsegg, Buggatti etc with their million pound plus cars.

The more supercars of a given marque you have the better chance you’ll get of being given the opportunity of buying the next one and spec it as you see fit. Thats about it though as far as I can see and that was the gist I got from the owner of Ireland’s largest Ferrari collection (he has all the toys).

jambalaya
    Free Member

@njee that’s a great PH thread.

I had a colleague who bought one, raced it at Le Mans ! Rohan Atkinson certainly drove and crashed his. Still sold it for £6m (?). There was a lightly driven one in California which sold for $20m I think.

£650k in early 1990’s would have bought a property in London which would be worth what £5m now ? £650k spent on a car certainly got our attention in the office.

As for the owner here, well it’s his car and money but not driving the car is a great shame imho.

TheDTs
    Free Member

One aspect to remember about classic car investments is that they are not taxed in the same way as other investments.
    PWC Classic Car Tax Info

So better than shares in Apple and other investments like property which would get a CGT of 28% for a high rate tax payer.

Houns

Sold!

jimjam
    Free Member

And how much…….?

Houns

I can’t tell you, don’t like discussing my financial matters in public

Straightliner

Apparently the seller has two other F1’s that they use, the yellow one remained unused.

jimjam
    Free Member

You know you’re bbbbbbb ballin’ out of control when you’ve got a spare McLaren F1 just lying around.

tomhoward

I can’t tell you, don’t like discussing my financial matters in public

BiL lease it for you?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Appreciating Classic. One careful owner.’ is closed to new replies.