Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • applying in the Staes for a job…. Am or Brit English?
  • alpin
    Free Member

the GF is applying for a job in the States. as a non-native English speaker shoud she use American or British English?

m0rk
    Free Member

American.

underthethumb
    Free Member

Espanol

alpin
    Free Member

obviously she’ll be using spell check after me having written it… 😉

Cougar

My OH wrote some articles for a US audience and was encouraged to use US English. However, I just asked her what she thought and for a job app they know she’s British, she suggests stick with British English.

alpin
    Free Member

cheers, Cougar… but she’s not British… German, in fact. but i’ve taught her proper like… she even talks with a cockney twang, innit.

Moses

Use American. Most Septics don’t realise there’s an alternative, so they’ll assume she can’t spell if she uses UK English.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d ask what the job is, who it’s with and where it is.

An international looking role for a coastal company? Fine to use English. A domestic only role for an inland company? WHOOO YAY! EWE ESS AY! EWE ESS AY! etc.

America is a funny old place. I work for an American company and they love, and make use of, the fact that I use English rather than American.

alpin
    Free Member

West coast, kinda outside-the-box, free/forward thinking design mob.

phinbob

Is she a US Citizen? How is she going to work there?

alpin
    Free Member

i have no idea… presume they would sort that out. bigger question, how am i going to go with her? together for 12 years, but she is still just my girlfriend. stop over in las vegas?

phinbob

Right – if you are serious about this you need to get across to http://www.britishexpats.com and read this post

A lot of US employers know nothing about immigration law – make sure you and your GF are fully clued up on what kind of visa they would sponsor her for.

If you are not married, and in most cases, even if you were, you would not be able to work without getting your own visa.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

i have no idea… presume they would sort that out. bigger question, how am i going to go with her? together for 12 years, but she is still just my girlfriend. stop over in las vegas?

Marry her, spousal visa should allow you to work there. My other half might get a J1 visa soon so I might be going over on a J2.

PeteT

Marry her, spousal visa should allow you to work there. My other half might get a J1 visa soon so I might be going over on a J2.

It’s not as simple as that — the J1 is relatively unusual in that regard. Most of the common visas (e.g. H1B) will let your spouse enter the country, but won’t let them work. This page gives a very good over-view of the different types of visas and their various trade-offs: http://blog.sourcing.io/visa-guide

Are you planning to stay in the US long term? If so make sure you read the bit about ‘dual intent’ — getting the wrong type of visa could make getting a green card impossible. The J2, for example, isn’t dual intent, so you can’t file an application for a green card while you’re on it.

konabunny
    Free Member

American

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It’s not as simple as that — the J1 is relatively unusual in that regard. Most of the common visas (e.g. H1B) will let your spouse enter the country, but won’t let them work. This page gives a very good over-view of the different types of visas and their various trade-offs: http://blog.sourcing.io/visa-guide

Are you planning to stay in the US long term? If so make sure you read the bit about ‘dual intent’ — getting the wrong type of visa could make getting a green card impossible. The J2, for example, isn’t dual intent, so you can’t file an application for a green card while you’re on it.

Arghh, **** daft yanks.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘applying in the Staes for a job…. Am or Brit English?’ is closed to new replies.