Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Applying Heli Tape
  • dave32
    Free Member

Bought the stuff now time to apply,any tricks to it or just cut to size and stick it on and for when I balls it up does it remove easy?
    Also I take it you can stick it to carbon the same way?
    Cheers guys

sharkattack

Don’t do it in a freezing cold garage. A hair dryer helps to warm your frame up and make the tape more pliable.

Apart from that yes, just cut to shape and get stuck in. It is easy to remove when you balls it up but you can’t reapply it once you pull it off.

It might sound tricky but it’s really easy to do a nice job. And totally worth the effort when your frame looks brand new whenever you decide to remove the tape.

scruff
    Free Member

I got full anal and made paper templates first when doing my DH frame. Used water sprayed on before applying as it gives you a bit of slippage.

Northwind

Hair dryer and isopropyl alcohol- get the frame perfectly clean but also wipe your fingers, the cleaner your skin the less likely you are to get fringerprinty. Hairdryer makes everything better, get it hot and you can bend and stretch tape onto just about anything, which helps it stick too. And if there’s bubbles you can pop them with a pin or scalpel.

amplebrew

I use a bit of mild soapy water when fitting heli tape.

Put a few drops of baby bath in a small spray bottle, spray some onto the frame where the tape is going to go and then some onto the sticky side of the tape itself.

It gives you the chance to move the tape around and get it perfect.

Once on the frame, hold you finger down at one end so the glue sticks and then slowly run your fingers along the tape working out any water or air trapped underneath.

A good tip is to make sure you spray some of the water onto your fingers so you don’t leave finger prints on the sticky side of the tape.

EDIT – I’ve just heli taped a brand new frame using this method and it’s actually quite therapeutic 😀

spawnofyorkshire

Whereabouts do you buy your helitape from?
    What do i need to order to do the downtube, underside of BB and TT of an 18″ slackline?

amplebrew

I’ve just used the Biketart tape, but I’ve also used the JRA stuff which is also great.

Edit – The 10cm wide tape will easily cover a large down tube like on a Five or similar. If it’s a steel frame then the 7.5cm wide tape is spot on.

dave32
    Free Member

Just got mine off flea bay,by recommendation of the shop I bought my bike..basically they said it was nice and easy and sounds it..was gonna do it at work today but no hair drier so will bring the wife’s in tomorrow and do it then…It’s ok to apply to carbon as well then,same principle?

Milkie
    Free Member

Paper templates
    Clean area with IPA
    Soapy water
    Credit card type thing to squeeze out air
    Hair dryer so it really sticks

It’s fine on Carbon. If you have a matt frame, go for the matt tape 😉

amplebrew

dave32 – Member
    Just got mine off flea bay,by recommendation of the shop I bought my bike..basically they said it was nice and easy and sounds it..was gonna do it at work today but no hair drier so will bring the wife’s in tomorrow and do it then…It’s ok to apply to carbon as well then,same principle?

I’ve not personally used the wet method on carbon, but I wouldn’t have thought the frame material would be an issue. The soapy water just gives you time to adjust the tape and get it perfect.

I’d fit the tape somewhere quiet, away from any distractions and don’t rush it.

spawnofyorkshire

thanks Amplebrew 🙂

amplebrew

spawnofyorkshire – Member
    thanks Amplebrew

No worries, thats cool 8)

You only need to use a tiny amount of baby bath, just a few drops.

IA

Done a carbon frame before, didn’t bother about wetting it (but it can help) but I did heat the frame and the tape with a hairdryer (and work fast before it cools.

The only extra thing about carbon is the frames tend to be more swoopy and curve in more than one axis at once, so it’s more important the tape is hot and malleable.

Northwind

The only difference carbon ever made to mine was when it was shite On One carbon that wasn’t compatible with helicopter tape. Otherwise should be fine.

amplebrew

Don’t forget to keep you fingers wet when handling the tape, makes it much easier to handle.

dave32
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice…less distractions at work than the 2 crazy kids at home!! lol

spawnofyorkshire

Some (i hope) really good advice here folks, thank you.
    I’ve ordered 2m x 7.5cm from ebay for a tenner. That should sort me out

deluded
    Free Member

I found the JRA tape too thick, not very adhesive and hard to apply. It was conspicuous on the frame and had a yellow tinge! I’m beginning to think I had a duff roll or I’d not adequately prepped the frame, or been patient enough – given that so many others like it.

Has anyone any experience of Sports Cover Bike Shield?

karlsbug
    Free Member

I used clear gorilla tape, seems to be holding up well.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Applying Heli Tape’ is closed to new replies.