Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Applying for the same job twice
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

A job I interviewed for 6 months ago has come up again. Would you use the same application letter?

I feel like I ought to change it at least a bit so as not to look lazy…but the last one worked!

Jamie
    Free Member

Change the font?

nickdavies

Yeah, why not. If they recognise anything it’ll be the information you won’t change IE name address. If you make a few changes it’ll still be broadly the same if they compare them anyway.

Make it a bit special, I had one a while ago with imprinted flowers on the envelope and the paper was scented. 😯

Although if the last one worked are you not applying for your own job? 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good point Jamie, everyone loves comic sans.

Maybe point out you won’t get bored in 6 months or ask why the last person only lasted 6 months or less

thecaptain
    Free Member

I wouldn’t hold out much hope. If they were prepared to give you the job, they would probably have already got in touch.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a publicly funded job so I guess they have to re advertise. Last guy moved over from Sweden for it (having done an identical job prior to that, which I haven’t) and doesn’t like it here.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Use a different name. Something go-getting like “Max Power” should clinch it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Al Coconuts.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Positive and upbeat Al?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Al Do It

Jamie
    Free Member

Al Ways-Lovyew

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Loy-Al

Jamie
    Free Member

Al Bebak

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Al I Barber?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Know-it Al(l)

bearnecessities

Al owagain.

scotroutes

Al bymyself

Jamie
    Free Member

Al Qaeda

MrSmith
    Free Member

cyclical cv al

bearnecessities

Employab Al

cynic-al
    Free Member

Al lairn ye’s

Merak

If you didn’t get it the first time I would think applying again is a bit of a long shot.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Do keep up. He’s going to change his name to Max Power or Employab Al by deedpoll.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Merak – Member
    If you didn’t get it the first time I would think applying again is a bit of a long shot.

This..

cynic-al
    Free Member

No point trying again?

What if I was 2nd last time?

MrSmith
    Free Member

unless you have done any training/development in those 6 months i would be surprised if they would look at any applicant differently than before, unesss that person was on a shortlist of possibles first time round.

footflaps

You have nothing to lose except the cost of a stamp, so you’d be daft not to re-apply.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers, it’s by email 😛

rene59
    Free Member

Reapply, make sure you make reference to first time around, how you were disappointed to miss out so closely, and would love to try again, what you have done in the time since to further your skills etc.

Then bombard them with a ton of made up cv’s and shite applications to make yours look better!

scotroutes

Did you get through to the interview stage last time?

but the last one worked

If so, I’d have thought the same application would be fine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Did you get through to the interview stage last time?

Yes (see OP 😛 )

righog
    Free Member

Edit : rene just said it ! Reapply tell them you really want the job.

I remember years ago my uncle telling me he gave a job to the only person who was interviewed who said they really wanted the job.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well based on my own (limited) experience of recruitment and employers, the first thing I’d do if a recent recruit failed would be to look at the previous short-listed applicants and get back in touch with any I liked. That’s true even if the job has to be re-advertised for bureacratic or legal reasons. In fact given the time it generally takes to get someone in post, I’d say it is quite possible they failed to employ anyone at all first time round.

OTOH, at least the ad presumably doesn’t actually say “previous applicants need not apply” which I have seen in the past…

No harm in applying, but like I said, I wouldn’t get excited.

Jamie
    Free Member

…. what you have done in the time since to further your skills etc.

Since I applied for the job last time, I have been working hard to improve my skill set. I don’t know if you know, but I happen to be quite a big wheel over at the SingleTrackWorld forums. Nobody hits bigger.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jamie, “Singletrackworld.com co-founding Big Hitter” is top of my cv.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Applying for the same job twice’ is closed to new replies.