Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Applying for new job in South Wales
  • Conan257
    Free Member

Blackwood area to be precise, about 40 minutes north of Cardiff by car…

Think the wife will need a little convincing, but to be fair it’s quite similar to where we used to live in Scotland…

Anyone around that area? Think it’s half way between Afan and Cwmcarn so has got to be maybe slightly better riding than Lincoln?!

PhilO
    Free Member

Put it this way: I live 10 minutes drive from Cwmcarn, and rarely ride there because I prefer the local bridleways. 😀 I don’t really know the Blackwood area too well, but I can’t imagine it’s anything other than better.

Coincidentally, I moved to Newport from the Lincolnshire borderlands (actually Newark, so just over the border in Notts) and haven’t regretted it for a second.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I live in ayrshire, and spent a bit of time working in SW working this year – between Cardiff and Caerphilly. Pretty good area, lots of stuff nearby. Cardiff is a cracking city, quite similar to Glasgow actually, and not far from Bristol too. Go for it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Conan257
    Free Member

We’d not be far from Pontypool/Pontypryth etc…

Given that I’m 3 miles from Lincoln itself, anywhere would be better for riding I reckon…

Would like to move closer to family, but they’ll still be 3 hours away so could be worse…

Is it bad around the area when the snow comes in?

houndlegs
    Free Member

Blackwoods not a bad place(I’m about 10 miles from it). I wouldn’t worry bout snow,it may be a bit worse than lower lying areas but its not the end of the world.
    Cwmcarn is close,the m4 is close,Brecon beacons is close.
    There are far worse places in S Wales you could live.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Snow isn’t a problem. All but the most minor roads were clear during snowrmageddon. Nice place to live. Cheap too.

cubemeup
    Free Member

I’m from blackwood fella, got any questions I might have the answers!! Haha plenty of riding around here we have built so top trails

hambl90
    Free Member

I’m pretty local to that area , some great riding in that area both natural and trail centre . Cwmcarn will have a new trail by the end of the year and there’s a friendly mtb club ( halfway up mtb ) very near Blackwood .

cubemeup
    Free Member

Plus u will hardly ride cwmcarn after finding the local trails. Wot part of blackwood u moving to

rickon
    Free Member

I used to live that way, and just moved to Scotland. So reverse of you!

Where in Scotland did you live? I can’t think of many places that are like Blackwood in Scotland to be honest.

I have a feeling I know where you’ll be working, and know a couple of chaps that work there and ride a lot too. The halfwayup crowd are great fun too 🙂

br
    Free Member

There are far worse places in S Wales you could live.

My in-laws are from SW, and that’s not a very reassuring statement…

rickon
    Free Member

The Gurnos. ‘Nuff said, butt.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Nuff said indeed butt 😛

badllama
    Free Member

Spent 2 years living in Abergavenny and bloody loved it, everyone really friendly (once you got to know the accent) I’m from Manc so took some getting used too 😀

The women were **** nutters and great fun I was in my late teens at the time though and single. Nothing quiet like waking up early doors looking out of the window and thinking which **** valley have I ended up in this morning 😉 Oh skip this bit you married 😀

Overall nice part of the world bet there is some great riding down there but was not into the bikes at the time 🙄

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Applying for new job in South Wales’ is closed to new replies.