Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • applying for a non advertised vacancy
  • mrmo
    Free Member

It has been mentioned to me by one of our suppliers that a company near by is looking for staff doing a similar thing to what i do. I haven’t seen any advertisement or anything formal.

If i send a speculative CV should i mention in anyway how i have heard a job may exist? should i be vague? should i be generic and say i am looking for a job this is my skill set?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

if your sending a CV and covering letter what else are you putting in the covering letter other than Hi, employ me please?

wouldnt mention who exactly told you about the job as it may be they dont want advertising.

I hear through a mutual business associate that you are looking for new XYX’s…………….

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

In my experience you get a hell of a lot further by having the balls to pick up the phone and asking to speak to whoever is in charge. Explain your interest and be open and honest about where you got the info from. Why would it be kept secret?

I am in my current job (Got made redundant in NOV) because someone gave me a headsup. I called and was fobbed off by the receptionist. I made a few calls to get the name of the person i NEEDED to speak to and they nearly bit my arm off. If you show the nounce to push yourself i would say you would be half way there if there is a job available.

mrmo
    Free Member

Very out of practice with job hunting, like 11 years since i last looked seriously, I will be made redundant or relocate sometime soonish… Sometime in the next 2-18? months…

So trying to start the looking now, but concerned that jumping might not be as good an option as waiting till the pay off….

theflatboy
    Free Member

just ring them, ask to speak to whoever deals with whatever it is and explain why you’re calling, freestyle from there. they’ll probably ask you to send your credentials over, and there’s the basis of the covering letter sorted.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ringing up and speaking to somebody seconded here, otherwise your application is at the mercy of their internal admin system – and may never make it to the desk of the person you want.

Call and ask to speak to HR or the manager of the department involved, try to have a friendly chat.

Don’t be Mr Mysterious, just say “I hear you might be looking for somebody…”.

itchy
    Free Member

Just been to a workshop this morning about CV’s and how to write covering/speculative letters etc. Can forward the details/documents over if you want to have a look. Not looked myself yet but they were very positive and it gee’d me up somewhat.

mrmo
    Free Member

itchy, if you wouldn’t mind, email in profile

TheDoctor
    Free Member

itchy, I’d quite like that as well is you wouldn’t mind. email in profile.

Cheers

itchy
    Free Member

Will do it later this evening mate – just on way back from job interview! I’ll see what else they have mailed through and send them all if you want. Some of it looks a bit ‘beneath me’, without trying to sound snobbish, but it is worth having a look at. what sort of business are you in, they have also given me a list of sites to register my CV on the internet, and a couple not to as well!

itchy
    Free Member

E-mailed bounced back Mrmo? I’ll try again mate.

itchy
    Free Member

Bounced back again 🙁

mrmo
    Free Member

moloughlin@gmail.com

itchy
    Free Member

Got it mate – the one in your profile has an ‘e’ at the end of your name! Will mail again in the next hour or so.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Call and ask to speak to HR or the manager of the department involved, try to have a friendly chat.

I’m not sure whether I’d want to speak to the HR department first as they may not know that another department need a vacancy filled. Try (surreptitiously at first) to find out who you would actually be working for then engineer a reason to call them direct and feel them out. Ask whether they would like to see your CV and send it direct – you should be able to get a feel for what he/she is looking for and can re-write your CV to fit. You also have a (brief!) connection with the hiring manager.

HR departments are more than likely to fob you off or just tell you to send the CV without having any idea what the hiring manager wants…

ronjeremy
    Free Member

hi itchy, could i possibly have the info as well tat would be most appeciaited mail to

nicetrigger(at)hotmail(dot)com

cheers mate

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘applying for a non advertised vacancy’ is closed to new replies.