Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Applying decals on powder coated frames
  • gonetothehills
    Free Member

Is it possible to apply decals over a powder coated paint finish and then lacquer on top? I’m interested in getting a frame that’s a bit tatty done but wondered if it’s possible as the powder coaters I’ve approached don’t seem to do it themselves. Sorry if it’s a numpty question but if you’ve got any pics of finished jobs, that would be a real help.

cheers 🙂

timc
    Free Member

It is possible to lacquer on top of powder coat, I sore a lovely klein which had been powder coated & lacquered when I got my soul Powder coated.

However it was explained to me that this was a glitter effect lacquer and was purely cosmetic & normally they dont do this because its not required, Powder coat being a good enough finish!

I simply put the decals on top of the powder coat on mine, works a treat!

bungie
    Free Member

I’ve put decals on a couple of powder coated frames and they were just fine. I certainly wouldn’t try applying lacquer though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice so far – much appreciated. I think the lacquers they do are as you say – part of the decorative finish, but my fear with just putting decals on top is that they’ll look as “good” and last as long as the ones on my old Cove Stiffee from a few years back…! Did yours adhere well then?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

You will struggle to get a laquer to bond to powder coat unless the surface is lightly rubbed down,to give the laquer something to grip on to

timc
    Free Member

Yer mine stuck fine,i think you will be pleasently surprised how good it comes up! just go for PC & decals Id say! 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks nicolaisam & timc – again it makes a lot of sense. Have you any pics of your finished frame, Tim?

Frankers
    Free Member

Sam is right, lacquer won’t adhere unless surface roughed

timc
    Free Member

Just off to London but will mail you come at weekend! 🙂

mccett
    Free Member

Coincidentally had 2 Coves powdercoated then just applied the stickers over it. One was a flat Kawasaki green colour which did not need the lacquer, the other was done using some leftovers from a custom chopper in pearlescent black which did need lacquer to get the best out of the finish.

Mate has just used same powdercoating place for a great BRG colour on an old Inbred and got replacement stickers off ebay – looks spot on.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Cheers, Tim. I’ll look forward to seeing them. In the meantime, has anyone else got any pics of decals that they’ve applied onto a powder coat finish? I’d also be interested in seeing any of the candy and pearl finishes that a few of the companies seem to offer. The company I’m looking at using (J Wilkinson near Crewe – who seem to have some bike experience) offer fades as well… Not sure what they’d be like though…?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

can certainly recommend this lot

£35 for a standard colour. like this

Not that i have any great experience but I was certainly pleased with the results..

gonetothehills
    Free Member

^^ that looks like a nice finish, and I think I’ve heard a few recommend them too.

Is it a plain white or a pearl? Did you put any decals back on it as well?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

That was a “standard” plain white. No decals yet but I was pointed in the direction of someone down Yorkshire way for those.

I got as far as fitting the headset cups and bottom bracket before the subzero temperatures forced me from the garage.

When i went to drop the frame off Uphill Jnr. was very excited about some of the candy/flake/metallic finishes they had on display. Made me promise to have his Beinn 20 done in the new year.

mccett
    Free Member

gonetothehills…. Wilkinsons in Shavington are the place i have used too. V quick turnaround, good finish. Threads on BB needed chasing out but i expected to do a little tidying up of the frame afterwards. The powdercoat itself was bombproof – YZ 250 i had done the paint was awful and rubbed off in one meeting, powdercoat did 2 seasons with hardly a mark and thats having rocks and stone chucked at it every week. Had the Coves done, the YZ250 frame a few years back and a set of wheels on a Fireblade done by them, good guys and excellent finish.

mccett
    Free Member

Forgot to say – Wilkinsons will advise on the lacquer – they do a clear or a pearlescent/glitter which some colours benefit from having over the base colour – others dont need it (usually flat non-metallic colours).

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Heres mine just after I put the decals on, then I just covered the full frame with heli-tape, worked a treat…. 😆

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sticker-decal-help-required

Tracey

We just stick them on, they seem to last

SD-253
    Free Member

gonetothehills – Member
    Is it possible to apply decals over a powder coated paint finish and then lacquer on top? I’m interested in getting a frame that’s a bit tatty done but wondered if it’s possible as the powder coaters I’ve approached don’t seem to do it themselves

Now gonetothehills I know this is not really an answer to your question but have you thought of just leaving it as is. I bought a frame of Ebay looking at the picture on eBay it had no decals. When I bought it the seller asked which decals I wanted. I told him none for 2 reasons.
    1 as I used to live in Manchester and the thieving scum had stolen previous bikes and I was unable to describe the decals to the police. No decals are easier to describe? And are rare.
    2nd the frame was a beautiful silver one which looked a lot better without them (I am guessing as I never had them on)…are you sure they will look better with them?

PS you should photograph your bike as a back up for the police anyway.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Cheers again for all the advice – really helpful.

mccett – great to hear that Wilkinsons are worth a look. They certainly were helpful when I called in a while back. Would love to see some pics if you’ve got any…? Now you’ve mentioned it, they described that lacquer as well – I think I’ll pay them another visit.

whos_daddy – that RL looks fantastic, especially with the original decals like that. Great job – you must be pleased with it.

Tracey – so glad you’ve spotted the thread as I’d hoped you might be able to advise a bit, what with you being one of the foremost powder coaters on here! 🙂 Your fleet of bikes always looks great – and you’re right, the decals seem to work fine don’t they?

brandeberryj – thanks for the advice but my bikes are either between my legs, on the roof of the car or locked inside and alarmed and quadruple bolted garage! It’s a recent frame and I like the look of it with the decals on, and they’ll be an integral part of how it’s finished. I have had a number of plain frames and they work ok but a bit of detail is nice now and then.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Just stick them over the newly painted job. Don’t bother lacquering, it’s more trouble than it’s worth! Have a look at my 29er. Better than new, but the colour may upset some.
    ON ONE SCANDAL 29ER 001

binners

I’ve just laquered the stickers onto my freshly powder coated frame. Mainly as the stickers were a bit thin (consisting only of an outline) and I thought they wouldn’t last five minutes.

May I suggest you employ the following technique for the best results:

1. Place powder coated frame just outside the back door
    2. Pop outside and give it a thin coat of lacquer all over
    3. walk back through kitchen door, grabbing a beer from fridge on the way past
    4. Sit and watch telly with a beer, scratching your arse and farting
    5. Finish beer and think you could do with another
    6. repeat stages 2-5 until you fall over

Works a treat :). Oh… prior to falling over, you should probably bring it indoors.

I’ll post some piccies up of the finished article up shortly

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Lol! Cheers binners. It’s exactly that kind of in-depth technical advice that STW lacks these days! 😀

Looking forward to the pics when you’ve got up from watching the telly!

binners

Glad to be of assistance 😀

Seriously though, I did precisely that and my frame has come up an absolute treat. I reckon the paintjob will be absolutely bomb-proof too. Its a win/win

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Seriously though, I did precisely that and my frame has come up an absolute treat. I reckon the paintjob will be absolutely bomb-proof too. Its a win/win

Yeah – I did that on one of the first homemade paintjob I attempted on SS hack a few years ago. I went ultra high tech though and instead of leaving it outside the back door, decided to make a spray booth in the garage (throw tarps over all other bikes and go for it) though it did get a but ‘high’ in there 😯 so still had to go running outside to breathe. The bog standard Halfords lacquer seemed to be rock hard and did seal the decals nicely. I’d just hate to mess up a beautiful pro paint job though, having zero confidence in my ability to avoid making a cock up!

Anyone else got any pics of their decalled up powder coated frames, or any with a fade job that they’ve had done? Cheers.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Would love to see pics if anyone’s got any more powder coated frames with decals applied please… 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Applying decals on powder coated frames’ is closed to new replies.