Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Applying bike tape on curved tubes
  • richg
    Free Member

hi all,

Just got a new bike and want to keep it looking that way. I’ve used heli/biketape (www.biketape.co.uk) before but only on straight tubes. Does anyone have any handy hints for applying it to curved down/top tubes?

Cheers,

Rich

RealMan
    Free Member

Cut it so its curved as well, then stick it on, heat up a flat screwdriver in a flame (use a lighter), and press it on firmly.

timmys

A hairdryer is your friend.

clubber
    Free Member

Use a hair drier to get the tape and the frame nice and hot and then stick it on. Oh and clean with meths or similar before.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Just got a new bike and want to keep it looking that way

Don’t ride it?

Have seen a good video demonstrating the wet it and use credit card method somewhere.

richg
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, i’ll give the bike a good blow dry. Does application of heat shrink the tape to get rid of bubbles, or just help it bond better?

applying to 3d curves could be tricky…

Looks like the wet application method may be worth a try first.

thanks all!

wwaswas

if they are curved in both directions then cutting narrow v’s out of the material so it’ll go over the frame without getting creases in it.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Heat and smooth. Heat and smooth…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Could we have a “vanity” forum for threads like this, those on coloured gear cables etc?

Would help minimise confusion to those of us whose bikes are muddy from having been ridden, on the rare occasions when they are going slow enough to be studied.

wwaswas

I must confess I covered the majority of the downtube on my carbon456 in helicopter tape – not for cosmetic reasons, just to help protect it from flying flints.

Vanity or just being practical?

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Cynic-al in being Cynic-al shocker…

seanodav
    Free Member

Use this stuff and apply it the way he shows you in the video.
    http://www.biketart.com/products/biketape

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Applying bike tape on curved tubes’ is closed to new replies.