Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Applied for a new job
  • toby1

How do you stop yourself planning out your new commute and just assuming it’s a given that you’ll get it even though all you’ve done is submit a CV to apply for it?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Positive thinking is no bad thing. Good luck! 🙂

uwe-r
    Free Member

I’m currently working my notice (3 months notice – so a long wait). I have been in the process of finding a new job for about 3 years. Finding 1 job and applying is not really making progress, it is like an alcoholic thinking that they should slow down as they crack open the 10th can of special brew of the day. You might get lucky and get it but if you really want to move on you have to make a bit of industry of it and work at it.

Good luck.

PS my new commute will be worse and it looks like i will have to ditch the bike commute! The job is worth it though.

toby1

Cheers BD.

uwe – I ditched the commute by bike at the start of the year, for a very long train commute, this new job would mean getting back on the bike again. So I’m thinking a new bike would be in order, overly wishful thinking no doubt, but the job description fits me well so I hold out a hope of an interview at least.

Must stop working out which bike I need for it though and actually do some work at the current day job!

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

Positive thinking is good.

As I am about to start looking for new work having finished a temporary contract a week ago I could do with some of that.

Good luck with the application.

jekkyl

you’ll defo need a new bike for the commute and if you don’t get it at least you’ll still have a new bike 💡

langley
    Free Member

Been applying for new jobs, have looked at roues to work etc but it has ended up coming to nothing.

Just keep applying for many jobs and do not expect those fabulous agency folk to call you, chase them and hound them to give up to date info.

Its a grind but it will pay off

Sundayjumper

…do not expect those fabulous agency folk to call you

My current job came about from an agency finding my CV online and calling me out of the blue. It does happen sometimes !

FuzzyWuzzy

You’ll stop after the 5th or 6th rejection 😉

uwe-r
    Free Member

“…do not expect those fabulous agency folk to call you”

My current job came about from an agency finding my CV online and calling me out of the blue. It does happen sometimes !

Same hear, although via Linkedin. And that was after years of staying close to all sorts of industry types and contacts / ex colleagues etc.

You can’t help getting carried away. I was close to joining a sweedish firm some time ago, i’d put a wadrobe full of polar neck jumpers, deposit on a Volvo and was thinking of naming my next child Bjorn only to not get it.

toby1

Last couple of jobs have been through people I know as opposed to agency, I also know someone at the place I have just applied for. When moving to this job I only made 3 applications, interviewed for all 3 jobs and only got 1 out of the 3.

I’m pretty lazy at changing jobs, almost surprised myself by applying for this new position, but I think long commutes are not for me in the long run. If I don’t get this and have to stay where I am for a while then I can live with it, it’s actually a good place to work, it’s just too far from home.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I had a few job applications like that. Mainly I was trying to work out if I could come up with a train-bike commute to justify a brompton.

After several years of half hearted looking o finally did get a new job this year, and spent absolutely no time thinking about my commute as part of the process. mainly because it’s next door to the old place! (This was actually a big plus point as my cycle commute was pretty much the highlight of my day at the time…)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Applied for a new job’ is closed to new replies.