Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Application Forms
  • mrmo
    Free Member

I hate application forms, i am crap at selling myself. Give me a job and i'll do it, (unless it is sales!)

such is life though, fill the form out try and match the job description to my skills, and come up with some crap about my experiences and what i learnt from them and why they should give me the job.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Me too. Haven't had to do one for a long time but the last one was for the prison service. OMFG. That was a book that took me a week to complete but it one of those things. If you cant fill in a form successfully, what employer would want to take you into its bossom. Somerfield maybe. Persevere.

trail_rat
    Free Member

application forms are the easy bit.

wait till you get the phone interview

my last one for weatherford went so bad im surprised i havnt seen it on youtube dubbed over some bad graphics yet ….

Waiting for the email to say "you have failed stage 2 of the application" will probably eat my hat if i get permission to proceed to stage 3 !

Keep in there something will come up !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fadda

It sounds a bit glib, but try to de-personalise it. Think of yourself as the "product" and all your skills experience etc as the "features". It's easier to be less modest when you approach it like that…
    And you say "not sales" but that's exactly what the whole process is – selling yourself (sorry, that bit might not help!)

JulianA
    Free Member

Application forms are crap. I look on JobServe, apply for the jobs and am really annoyed if a CV isn't sufficient. Works most of the time.

If I get a form through to fill in I wonder if the employer is the right one for me… (but I am what some people would call an IT geek…)

jonb
    Free Member

I did quite a few when I was looking for graduate jobs. If you do lots they're all the same so you know what to write. Doing the first one was tough though.

Take your time, plan out your answers so you can use different experiences from different jobs and aspects of your life. Don't be afraid to include none work things in there. I used to include my volunteer canoe coaching which always got talked about in interviews. Makes you a bit different and more interesting than the average.

Good luck. I'm glad I'm not doing it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

"Don't be afraid to include none work things in there. I used to include my volunteer canoe coaching which always got talked about in interviews. Makes you a bit different and more interesting than the average."

1 question i got asked in an interview – open ended question – what do you feel is your greatest achievement ?

I tried that being different approach and talked briefly about coming 11th solo at a national solo 24 hour mountain bike event – expecting as has happened in the past at interviews to be asked what it entails. instead i got laughed at and asked no a work related achievement – so i talked about working my way up from lad who popped in occasionally to workshop manager at my current work !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Application Forms’ is closed to new replies.