Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • applecross
  • robido

going to applecross on friday for five days anyone got any ideas wher to ride. thinking of torridon. any help will be great thanks

Cheezpleez

Lucky swine – you’re going to the most beautiful place on earth IMHO. Hope you get good weather.

Can’t be much help with riding ideas, I’m afraid, as I’ve never managed to get up there with a bike but do a search on the forum – it’s been discussed lots before.

Marko
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Applecross is quite isolated (but gets very, very busy) from anywhere else and you will be driving for quite a while to get to riding.

Beautiful place, but not sure I would want to spend all week there.

birky
    Free Member

Never done it but there’s a track/path from Applecross to Kenmore
    http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=32

robgarrioch

A couple of threads relevant to the area –

1st one
    2nd one

I remember coastkid recommending the Applecross – Kenmore track too, somewhere.
    Torridon is a strong ‘must-do’ contender. If you’ve no problems driving out a bit, a great out-n-back track leads to Craig youth hostel from Diabaig, on the north side of Loch Torridon, covered in thread 2 there (go no further than the youth hostel though, pretty much all soft hike-a-bike to Red Point)

coastkid
    Free Member

Applecross is deft worth the drive, esp if also riding at Torridon 🙂
    The trail mentioned from Applecross – Kenmore is one of the most underated rides in the Highlands, serious buffed singletrack that undulates with climbs and descents which make it a good out and back from Applecross. Mid week you will be lucky to meet anyone on the route before August, you will really feel “out there”… take good clothing as weather can turn and cloud comes down, but trail is very defined.
    There is also the short coastal trail to the beach where Monty did the first “Great Escape” BBC series 😀

I did a film a few years back, half way through the film is the trail from Kenmore back to Applecross. I only had a fat bike as had just returned via Skye from Harris/Lewis west coast beaches but the film will give you an idea.

Take a nice hardtail and enjoy some classic Mountainbiking, oh and check out the Sea Kayaking day trip if it is still run beside the campsite 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lEmI3f-fD9o[/video]

robido

thanks for that looks good. were stoping at glentress on our way home just hope the weathers ok

nikk
    Free Member

Whatever you do, do NOT take the right hand fork on the Applecross – Kenmore trail. Going up is ok (but mostly pushing), but at the summit, the trail disappears, then lower down reappears as a 2 hour downhill push carry slog over the roughest boulder path I have ever seen in my life 😳

gusamc
    Free Member

I did this W to E

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=174390&y=848780&z=120&sv=174390,848780&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=719&ax=174390&ay=848780&lm=0

N at first fork, N at second fork, you can (I didn’t do this so don’t know track or conditions) then go S road/tracks and retrun via loop st the second fork S option, however the bit I did was mainly rideable.

I did this as it was pissing wet, 30mph W wind and no viz for Annat trails, ho hum.

nice shortie – Kinloch Damph along E side of Loch Damh (could possibly add via Glasnock to S) river is a wade by the way

FOG

Never mind the riding , make sure you spend time in the Applecross Inn.
    Great food , beer and a good crack.
    I was in a few years ago and started chatting to a local sat near. ‘Did you have the scallops?’ he asks. I said yes and how superb they were.
    ‘I dived for them this morning’. You don’t get that in Wetherspoons!

jsync

When I was in Applecross 2 years ago I found an excellent route from the bedrooms in the Applecross Inn down the stairs to the bar. Make sure you have the crab salad, amazing!

Oh, the Walled Garden down the road does a beautiful steak too.

Enjoy!

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Report back after going…I’m up there later on

robido

its looking goodthanks for the help. ill think of you while im having a pint. cheers

acehtn
    Free Member

was there 2 weeks ago in the sun.

Sea kayaks are on the loch side. I grabbed some fuel on the way over and was surprised to find an automated credit/debit card fuel station there, 2 small pumps, £1.49.9 then for petrol (did find it dearer elsewhere) public toilets, nice pub, few miles down the road is a small village shop, carrying camping gas etc etc, campsite looked nice. Only stopped for a few hours, but fairplay to the bloke who rode up over the steep side of the pass and back down to Applecross on a knackered hardtail 🙂
    Really nice spot, will have to go back.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’m in this place now… its ace.

did the route to kenmore and back, thoroughly enjoyed it. was a fair bit harder than I imagined it would be… took my dad, he didn’t enjoy it.

robido

back home now looking out at the rain wishing i was still there.the route to kenmore and back was so good we did it twice. coastal path to sand is nice to. it was a hot day so laid on the beach for a while before heading back for a pint. rode the torridon loop. it was a long ride but worth it for the decent to annat. looking forward to going again

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Is it worth doing the Kenmore singletrack in both directions or just go up the road to Kenmore and back off road?

coastkid
    Free Member

Do the trail from Applecross to Kenmore out and back Steven, then the shorter coastal trail to Sand as a half day ride with a spot of beach time 🙂

billyboy
    Free Member

Applecross to Kenmore is good. Applecross to Sands for a short jaunt. Coulags in Glen Carron to Annat in Torridon is good. The Cuilin Pass. And the Bealach na Baa….even if you do it on an mtb….branch off at the top for the mast….something to say you’ve done!!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘applecross’ is closed to new replies.