Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 532 total)
  • Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@Curious people are already queuing, have been since he announcement. I read Apple are introducing a new digital line ticket so you know your place in the queue without having to camp out on the street.

andytherocketeer

many of those camping (even before the announcements) are actually paid to camp by various media etc. organisations. not sure they’d all get quite the same exposure if it were a digital queue.

cozz
    Free Member

64 gb ordered

was going to find a good 64gb 5s, but they are still fetching good money, so rather get the 6

waiting to see when lifeproof cases get their case sorted for the 6

jam-bo

Ordered a 128Gb six via O2 upgrades earlier. Showing delivery at the moment for next week.

CountZero

dragon – Member
    18-karat gold that our metallurgists have developed to be up to twice as hard as standard gold.
    Pure marketing bullsh*t, what is ‘standard’ gold, do they mean pure if so then 18 carat could easily be harder if alloyed properly.

‘Standard gold’ is 9ct. There is 11, but that’s continental, IIRC, and 18 is too soft for everyday use. Pure is 24.
    If you want to see just how complicated this subject is, try wading through this lot…
    https://standardsdevelopment.bsigroup.com/Home/Committee/50001489
    http://www.jewelry.com/education-goldkarat.shtml
    http://www.jewellerycatalogue.co.uk/gold_jewellery2/gold_alloys.php
    Unless you’re a trained metallurgist, or a goldsmith, and you have detailed knowledge of what it is Apple have done regarding the gold alloy they’re using, I’d avoid using terms like ‘marketing bullshit’: Apple are very good at finding people who do obscure work on esoteric materials, I’m just disappointed LiquidMetal hasn’t been used in the iPhone or Watch frame and case; that’s some very exotic alloy work going on there!

dragon
    Free Member

All the karat value tells you is how much gold is present it gives no guide to hardness as that depends on what you alloy it with and other factors. So it is marketing rubbish.

Jamie
    Free Member

So it is marketing rubbish.

Of course it is, it’s Apple.

CountZero

dragon – Member
    All the karat value tells you is how much gold is present it gives no guide to hardness as that depends on what you alloy it with and other factors. So it is marketing rubbish.

Hardness in gold is quantifiable and measurable, with an internationally recognised set of figures. Advertising a knife as having a Rockwell Hardness figure of such-and-such isn’t marketing rubbish, it’s a figure that can be compared to other makes.
    The same goes for this, sure, the Karat/Carat figure is specifically referring to the percentage of gold in the alloy, but it’s the other metals used that will profoundly affect the hardness of the finished item. This is precisely why you’ll very rarely see certain colours of gold used in decorative jewellery, because they’re too hard to work easily, they lack the ductibility and malleability of ‘standard’ 9/10/11/14/18ct gold. White French gold is very springy, useful for certain fine work but not good for rings or stone mounts. Blue and purple gold are hardly ever seen, because the other metals in the alloy make them far too hard to work easily; blue uses iron, and purple uses aluminium!
    A watch case is a smooth, single piece of injection or cast metal, and the harder it can be made, reducing scratching and denting the better, but the colour needs to be kept, so if Apple have spent money developing a yellow, 18ct gold, with a much harder, less easily marked structure, that’s a good thing that will enhance the long-term value.
    It may well be marketing, but it’s certainly not rubbish; plenty of other watch manufacturers are going to be very keenly interested in what Apple have developed.
    I would never consider a gold cased watch, I have a stainless steel watch that’s forty-odd years old, and the case was very battered through general use, a gold one would look really crap.
    I’ve managed to polish most of the marks out now, but some were surprisingly deep, and that’s on steel.

wallop

Does one need a larger data package with 4G than with 3G?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

wallop – Member
    Does one need a larger data package with 4G than with 3G?

No, but yes, but no, but yes

Strictly speaking no, however I am worried that having super fast 4G will be addictive and just guzzle data

Im currently using 100MB per hour to stream Spotify on 3G on its mid quality setting
    If I had 4G (I dont) it would be ramped up to the max and on all day

And then theres video etc etc etc
    I dont really bother with phone vids on 3G but at a million times the speed and quality Id expect this to change too

Not to mention all the ads on this site 🙂

Imagine you went from a Ford Fiesta to Ferrari but only had the same amount of petrol?
    Not sure thats a good analogy, but anyway………………

wallop

I understand. Just trying to decide whether to get 2GB or 5GB!

Edit – thanks for the good explanation!

bol

Just ordered a 6 in silver/white 4g contract with 10gig of data for £42 per month and no upfront payment. Only compromise is that it’s 16gig, but with cloud and the addition of free spotify it should be alright.

I’d promised myself I wouldn’t be such a sheep this time, but I’m weak.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A day late and a dollar short as usual, only just ordered and 3-4 weeks for delivery (no student discounts on phones so I could have ordered Friday) 😥

Apple has sold 4 million already, double the amount for the launch of the 5 which was prior best seller on release.

@bol that contract seems pretty good.

Jamie
    Free Member

iOS 8 is released shortly. For those who use iCloud to sync between applications on the iPhone and Mac, this might be worth a read.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2684105/don-t-pull-the-trigger-on-upgrading-to-icloud-drive-just-yet.html

Apple are proper iDiots sometimes.

GrahamS

Oh dear that’s a bit rubbish.

You’d think they’d know which Apple IDs and iClouds sync with Macs and be able to warn people when they try to download the update. Or even just make it backward compatible (really – how hard can it be? It’s just syncing files FFS. DropBox manage it across multiple platforms just fine)

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’ve been told at Work not to upgrade to iOS8 yet.. They’re a biT worriEd by iT.

😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Bit more info on TUAW.

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/16/be-aware-be-careful-be-prepared-for-icloud-drive/

Amazing Apple aren’t saying nuffin….but then they do sometimes adopt the finger in the ears, and going la-la-la-la, approach to this sort of thing.

footflaps

iCloud is still massively overpriced compared to Dropbox etc…..

Jamie
    Free Member

iCloud is still massively overpriced compared to Dropbox etc…..

They have dropped the price recently, not sure if it’s any good, tho.

Edit: Nope. Still £15 vs £8 for 1TB a month.

edd

Does anyone know when iOS8 will be issued? Thought it was today…

muggomagic

Today around 6pm for the UK

EDIT: expect to actually get the update sometime around midnight tonight judging by previous years.

edd

Thanks muggomagic.

Jamie
    Free Member

Embargo must have been lifted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/16/6155009/apple-iphone-6-plus-review

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/16/6154975/iphone-6-review

However, if anyone fancies having any goodwill to Apple products sucked out of them due a cracking display of sycophancy, then wrap yer eyeballs round this:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/17/-sp-stephen-fry-iphone-6-verdict-most-exquisite-mobile-ever-made

jambalaya
    Free Member

Guardian has various reviews also .. here is Stephen Fry’s

The most exquisite mobile ever made

Jamie
    Free Member

@jambalaya.

Look at the post above yours.

GrahamS

Have you seen Stephens Fry’s review though?

jam-bo

it was less of a review and more an ode.

footflaps

No yet, but may I just point out that Stephen Fry has a review as well?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Did you edit your post, I only saw the verge one (lame attempt to restore credibility)

I could edit mine and post a different Guardian link but that would only be digging myself a deeper hole 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

Did you edit your post,

15 minute edit window sez no.

Anyway, has anyone seen the Stephen Fry review?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is there a clutching at straws app ? Could be a good game title …

chambord
    Free Member

Anyway, has anyone seen the Stephen Fry review?

I got as far as this bit:

“We wanted to wait until we had the best smartphone multitasking system in the world,” Steve Jobs said on unveiling the iOS 4 operating system in 2010, and no one can doubt his team achieved that goal.

And decided he might be a bit biased.

GrahamS

Actually from a technical point of view I reckon that’s about right.

In terms of battery and resource use and overall performance the Apple model of controlled multi-tasking makes more sense. But it may not be what the consumer public want.

chambord
    Free Member

Isn’t that at odds with the normal Apple definition of “Best” which is that it’s the most intuitive to use?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Looking forward to iOS8 so I an use all my battery life trying to work out which apps are using all my battery !

Jamie
    Free Member

This will be the first iOS version I wont be able to install on launch.

Ah well…

GrahamS

Isn’t that at odds with the normal Apple definition of “Best” which is that it’s the most intuitive to use?

Not really – in this instance they decided that expecting people to go into a task manager and shut down background processes to get demanding games to run properly was less intuitive than just limiting what apps were allowed to do in the background.

At the iOS 4 launch they famously said:

Q: How do you close applications when multitasking?
    A: (Scott Forstall) You don’t have to. The user just uses things and doesn’t ever have to worry about it.
    A: (Steve Jobs) It’s like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager… they blew it. Users shouldn’t ever have to think about it.

Not sure it quite worked out like that, but it was a good theory.

muggomagic

This will be the first iOS version I wont be able to install.

Ah well…

For the 1st time it will be an iOS that I won’t be updating until the fuss has died down.
    I was really disappointed with iOS 8. I used the betas on my iPhone 5 and ipad and there really isn’t that much to get excited about.
    I think battery stats are a waste of time in iOS as apps don’t really run in the background like they do with android, so I already know what has been draining the battery, the widgets (if you can call them that) are a half arsed attempt, it’s just as quick for me to look at the weather app and get more detail than it is to swipe down and get the current weather. Quick response was the only change that was of any use, but it’s limited to certain apps, so if you like using the gmail app for your email for example you can’t use that to quick reply as you can only use the in built iOS app.

The new phones look great, but iOS 8 is a bit of a let down.

Jamie
    Free Member

the widgets (if you can call them that) are a half arsed attempt,

Sounds like Dashboard for OSX all over again…

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 532 total)

The topic ‘Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?’ is closed to new replies.