Viewing 10 posts - 161 through 170 (of 170 total)
  • Apple? where and why did it all go wrong??
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Graham

That’s just the thing though, it doesn’t. I can open it in the browser but there was no option to save (now installed iBooks so need to see if that’s changed). Seriously, I tried every possible way and everything describes the process exactly as you have but I (and seemingly a lot of other folk from what I’ve read) just don’t have those options. My Safari doesn’t look like that either (IOS 7.somethingorother). Hence my frustrations.

deviant
    Free Member

The S4 has been a terrible phone with nothing but issues, some stemming from the hardware, some stemming from base Android, and some stemming from Samsung’s Touchwiz shit they load over the top of Android.

I wanted to like Android, I really wanted to. I am a nerd. I build my own high end gaming PC’s and tinker with those to my hearts content so Android should be a match made in heaven?

It was a crap experience for me. The phone destroyed SD cards with no word from Samsung as to an official reason why. The OS freezes and crashes on a weekly basis, and apps freeze and crash on a daily basis.

The OS looks crap – which I believe is Samsung’s doing rather than base Android OS – but still. All the extra gimmicks have been turned off after week 1. The phone is made of plastic and feel cheap. App uninstall themselves and/or unlink from their shortcut regularly.

Sounds like you got a dud, it happens when millions of devices are manufactured.
    Apple arent immunne to it either….your post could have been written about my other half’s iPhone-5S which is unstable, freezes, crashes and loses apps….also has shocking battery life….her previous HTC and Samsung Galaxy didnt do that, they ‘just worked’.

Agree with the sentiment expressed by others re. Nexus devices….it is the only true Android install and worth hunting for, some manufacturers do some lovely stuff with Android (HTC’s version is always well executed for example) but Samsung take a beautiful OS and cover it with their own crap….most Android manufacturers are starting to move away from tweaking Android too much and a lot now offer ‘Google’ versions of their phones that run stock Android.

My contract is up early next year and seeing as pretty much all phones from Android, to Apple to Windows now do the same things it will come down to battery life for me, that is the killer for me now…i use the phone a lot during the day and i’m not always near charging points so getting one to last a full 12 hr shift isnt easy….with both Apple and Android i can kill the phone in under 8 hrs….just not acceptable these days.

GrahamS

That’s just the thing though, it doesn’t. I can open it in the browser but there was no option to save

Hmm.. that’s a bit odd. The “Open In” menu does hide itself once the PDF is fully loaded but it should re-appear if you tap on it.

Here’s what I see (in IOS8.1.1) when I look at this Hope PDF in Safari on my iPhone:

If you’re not getting that “Open In” menu at all then the best I can suggest is go see a “Genius” and see what they say.

my other half’s iPhone-5S which is unstable, freezes, crashes and loses apps….also has shocking battery life

That sounds like it could be hardware, possibly dodgy flash memory. If doing a full restore (via iTunes) doesn’t fix it then take it into an Apple Store. They may well replace it on the spot.

jambalaya
    Free Member

FWIW the IT bod here at work changes the batteries on his (non Apple) phones once a year, is his opinion that’s the expected life for reasonable performance. My iPhone 6 will go two days of normal usage on 1 charge, my old 4S with a cheap replacement battery did about 3/4 of a day. I use the phone a lot for web and messaging but very few calls.

moshimonster
    Free Member

FWIW the IT bod here at work changes the batteries on his (non Apple) phones once a year, is his opinion that’s the expected life for reasonable performance.

Well my 5 year old iPhone 3S battery is still going strong. It’s probably slightly down on its performance when new, but still lasts a full day. Don’t remember it lasting any longer to be honest. Certainly never thought about changing it.

nemesis
    Free Member

So what we’ve established is the Apple and everyone else have rather hit and miss products.

Or more likely they’ve all got to the point where for most people they do the job fairly well but in some instances they do go wrong and people are understandably unhappy. Most of them just work but there will always be people who like to validate their choices most vehemently as the only true way.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Most of them just work but there will always be people who like to validate their choices most vehemently as the only true way.

Yeah, usually people stating that Apple products are shit / expensive because they’ve chosen something else.

jfletch
    Free Member

Hmm.. that’s a bit odd. The “Open In” menu does hide itself once the PDF is fully loaded but it should re-appear if you tap on it.

If you don’t have any apps that support the “open in” functionality for the file type then I don’t think the option appears.

iBooks hasn’t always been a factory installed app so on an old version of the OS there wasn’t a pre-installed app that would let you “open in” PDFs.

That changes in either iOS 8 (I think) and now iBooks is there by default so the option to save a PDF is available to all.

The lack of a file manager is one of the best things about iOS IMO. if you have been brought up on windows it can be a little frustraiting but once you get used to it the it’s just better way of doing things.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Apple where did it all go wrong ? Well the international investment community think things are looking pretty good.

Apple is first company ever to pass a market capitalisation of $700bn, its value is close to double that of Microsoft and Google.

kelvin

no need to be a patronising twunt

I very much felt the need.

Viewing 10 posts - 161 through 170 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘Apple? where and why did it all go wrong??’ is closed to new replies.