• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by drlex.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Apple watch + biking.
  • batman11
    Free Member

So as above looking to my be pull the plug on an apple watch as I have the phone/iPad etc, and was wondering who has and what the general opinion was regards there use as a training tool, logging when out on mountain bikes.
    Or even just use in general for day to day data, fitness and step counts.
    Bats.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

I think you mean pull the trigger

rs
    Free Member

I have one, used to wear it all the time first month or so, now I really only wear it on the bike, right now its not much good as a training tool, as no other apps can read the HR data, this will change when OS2 comes out soon and it will become way more useful.

Right now I use it for starting and stopping strava while my phone stays in my pack. I run strava and the apple exercise app at the same time so I can at least see my HR while out. How they thought this was acceptable for launch I don’t know.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How they thought this was acceptable for launch I don’t know.

I’d imagine they thought, “People will buy this whatever it’s actually like in real life, so let’s get it out there sharpish and rake in the cash”. 🙂

Given how good Garmin and other bike specific ‘pooters are these days, I’m not sure what benefit a smartwatch could really bring to riding.

njee20
    Free Member

CFH +lots

Pulling the plug sounds like the best bet.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I use a Suunto Ambit3 Peak and its fantastically robust etc. I can’t imagine the Apple watch coping well in a downpour or if you have a stack (I have lots of those).

If you want fancy colours then the Garmin Fenix 3 looks interesting…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

CFH + lots more.

Pulling the (cough) plug seems like an event only you and your partner should do, together.

HTH

batman11
    Free Member

Thanks so far for the corrections and advice I’ll check the fennix out now cheers mike.
    Any idea when os2 is due out?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Batman

I would possibly hold out for the Ambit4 as that might get colour too. The Fenix isn’t as reliable from what I’ve gathered.

Depends what you’re after though I suppose.

Superficial
    Free Member

What does the strava app achieve? I just leave strava on for the whole ride.

I’d love to find a use for an apple watch. But they seem kinda pointless…

andylc
    Free Member

I like it for Viewranger – set a route to follow, leave phone in pack or on Quadlock mount and the watch gives you really clear directions.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Given how good Garmin

Close but no cigar. Garmin so often manages to screw up on the software they are ripe to be deposed as my preferred kit. Connect was never been brilliant but the latest update has made it pretty hard work for me to use.

batman11
    Free Member

As I’ve no computer I’m kinda stuck with just phone and iPad based connective products.
    Use wise I’ve spent the last 12 months getting myself back together after a few bad years at a bad job, now work is sorted and I’ve been riding at least twice a week with a few trips to Wales etc I want to start pushing my fitness/ weight loss goals more.
    and as I’m old

drlex
    Free Member

I like it for Viewranger – set a route to follow, leave phone in pack or on Quadlock mount and the watch gives you really clear directions.

I alternate it with the exercise app, so I can enjoy the frisson of danger when checking descending speed.
    CFH, you might like the ECB app’s wicket notification coupled with the haptic feedback; for the first innings on the last Test, it was like a taste of Parkinson’s…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Apple watch + biking.’ is closed to new replies.