Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Apple TV questions.
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Currently get TV through NowTV box.

Use it for iPlayer/4oD/ITV player etc. And the NowTV bit for SkyTV stuff.
    All our TV consumption is streamed, we don’t have an aerial or dish to connect to.

The only problem is that the box is getting really slow “crazy” recently, and looking at alternatives.

We have two IPhones and two IPads in the house, so AppleTV seems like a logical move.
    Although I’ve never seen it, and not sure what it does.

What can it do, and is it suitable for me, based on the above ?

nickdavies

I player and Netflix is great on Apple TV. Have no tv at home apart from Apple TV so use Netflix the most.

Itv player is crap, you have to mirror it from iPad and 4od won’t work through Apple TV. Red bull app for bike and outdoors stuff.

For the £40 they are now give one a go.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I use it for all of that Neal – has all of those on it, Netflix too.
    The only “issue” is that Amazon won’t let you stream to it from their app “due to copyright” – odd as **** as they have the app on smart tv’s.
    Redbull TV, Vimeo, VIVO and loads more on the current one and the new one has touch remote and Siri on it.

nealglover
    Free Member

4od won’t work ?

Not even mirrored from iPad or iPhone ?

m360
    Free Member

You do know that you’ll have to stream most of the stuff you want from your iphone/ipad, and some of it won’t stream?

use it for all of that Neal – has all of those on it, Netflix too.

Really? You sure your Apple TV has iPlayer, 4OD, itv player on it? Don’t think so.

I’m happy with mine but will be upgrading as soon as I know what Apps will be available on the new one. I find mirroring/streaming from my iPhone or MacBook a bit of a clunky system (despite how well it actually works) when I just want to put the TV on and watch something.

I’d wait for the new one to come out and see if the services you want are directly available as Apps on the new tvOS. Or just buy a new Now TV box for £10-£15?

grum
    Free Member

I don’t find streaming from my phone for Iplayer etc clunky at all. I normally use the phone as a remote anyway as it’s much easier to type searches etc. It’s correct that 4od won’t work but the adverts and player are so annoying anyway it’s no great loss. Never use the ITV player.

Not sure why someone said the Amazon app won’t stream to it, I’m watching Gomorrah streaming off my phone on it right now.

skids
    Free Member

Apple TV is kind of shit, no apps for UK. not even iPlayer. You have to use a phone of ipad to do anything with it. I would get a fire TV stick or a games console

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m not too fussed if I have to use iPad/iPhone really.

There are always 2 of each in the room when we are watching tv anyway 🙂

Is it worth waiting till Nov and paying the extra for the new version ?

Don’t know how much extra it will be though ?

Superficial
    Free Member

The new Apple TV will be about £150 I think. The cheap version is $199 in the USA. I agree that the ATV is a bit rubbish in terms of the content at the moment in the UK. Netflix works fine on ATV but it’s a reasonably clunky interface on Apple TV. AirPlay from other devices works brilliantly but you can’t stream everything (it only really likes iTunes content). I’ve got an Apple laptop, iPad and phone and they all play pretty nicely. If you don’t have these things then I don’t really know why you’d bother. It also pisses me off that you can’t AirPlay from some apps (NowTV, ITV player etc).

I’ve been using an AppleTV for Netflix for ages but more recently the NowTV with Plex “sideloaded” into it which opens up a lot of streaming options. The new (black) NowTV is much faster than the old one. If you want to try the NowTV subscriptions then it’s a no-brainer – the box is basically free. However if I was buying a unit now I’d look at a Roku box. Basically these are the same hardware as NowTV but many more options as it’s not tied to Sky, albeit more expensive.

See also: Chromecast, Amazon Fire thingy.

grum
    Free Member

StreamToMe will play just about anything and convert on the fly. I use it to stream stuff off my computer HD.

I really don’t see why it’s ‘shit’ not to have a native app for stuff like Iplayer when the phone/iPad basically works as a really good interactive remote. Each to their own.

Netflix app interface isn’t the best but the streaming quality is great and it’s super-reliable, better than on my PS3.

They do keep adding a load of irrelevant American apps like NFL etc which is a bit annoying but you can hide them in the preferences.

grilla
    Free Member

Xbox One is great for Netflix, iPlayer, Amazon and NowTV as it has plenty of power, get a media remote etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We use Apple TV (ATV) and as per you OP we have no TV ariel. Stand alone the device is ok where it’s string impaired with a phone / iPad for mirroring. We’ve been watching all the Rugby from ITV via the ATV mirroring and do the same for Chanel 4 too. Not all apps you’d find on a smart TVs are on Apple, not least BBC iPlayer you have to stream onto the phone and then mirror. We do this all the time and it’s pretty easy. Native ATV apps for Vimeo and YouTube are pretty useful too, as per post above I watch a lot of biking and skiing on Red Bull TV. As I type we are getting ready to rent a movie through iTunes. If you have movies on your PC/Mac you can stream those to the ATV too (they may need converting in order to load into iTunes first but that’s pretty easy)

Finally we often take the ATV on holiday if we know there is a tv and wifi, often pre-loading some films or BBC iPlayer content we want (you can download iPlayer content to iPad in UK then watch it abroad)

nealglover
    Free Member

Ok. So I’m perfectly happy to stream stuff from the iPad and mirror it to the Apple TV as that sounds reliable from what people are saying. And we have a 50meg connection so no problems there.

So I suppose All I need to know now… Is it worth waiting (and paying £100+ extra) for the new version ?

What does it do that the old one doesn’t.

jambalaya
    Free Member

That’s more difficult. New version is quite a step up, it’s more of a computer in its own right whereas the older model is more like a “dumb mirroring device”. The new version has ability to have its own apps, this could be significant but we don’t really know what will be developed yet. The old one with a phone/iPad can do a lot, he new one should be more stand alone.

grum
    Free Member

Sounds like it will let you play games and has a slicker interface and better remote. Also has a HD so presumably will let you download stuff to it. If you can really get a current one for £40 just give that a go and see what you think IMO.

nealglover
    Free Member

Sounds like a current one will do everything I need from it.
    Thanks for the advice.

Not seen one anywhere for £40 so far. But at £59 from the Apple Store down the road, it’s still not too bad.

nickdavies

I could have sworn they were £39 from Apple, refurbished. £49 is the current price by looks of it – buy a refurb it’s a new device, they’re in stock. You need decent wifi to mirror the likes of Internet tv, I’ve got a 5g n spec router and I can’t get the rugby to mirror off itv properly. Apps that let you bounce stuff to the Apple TV are fine but you can’t do that with either 4od or itv so you have to mirror which really slows things down. 4od you can’t even mirror, not sure if you can watch through safari and mirror I’ve never tried cos I know it will be rubbish.

batfink
    Free Member

crikey – there is some proper b*llocks on here.

WAIT for the new one to come out. It’s launching in a week or so. The old one will still be available once the new one launches, so you are not gaining anything by rushing out to buy one now.

The new device will include an app-store that allows 3rd parties (BBC etc) to develop native apps for it. The current model only has a few apps that are a) really US-centric, and b) quite poorly implemented (eg: netflix). Hopefully the new app store will result in a better range and greater quality of apps.

Importantly, the current generation will not support the app store.

The new one has a wizzy remote: it’s bluetooth (no line of sight required), and integrates siri support – meaning that you can search for content via speech – which should be very useful when you have got 5 or 6 apps all providing content.

The only reasons to buy an old one:
    A bit cheaper
    Has an optical out (the new one only has HDMI)

nealglover
    Free Member

Which bits and why ?

Just want to make sure I’m not following the wrong advice.

As the new one will be three (or four) times the price of the current version, and might not provide anything that’s particularly relevant to what I need (see first post)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@batfink, that’s a bit harsh and dare I say it incorrect. We don’t know what apps will be developed and it’s trivial to stream BBC iPlayer to ATV from your phone /iPad. There’s an app called “remote” which allows you to control the ATV from the phone too. The new one is 3 or 4 times the price.

OP I agree with @grum give the current one a go, depending how your wifi is you can consider connecting the ATV to your router with an Ethernet cable direct or via something like a PowerLine – we’ve done that from time to time. Our BT router wifi and Internet (normal 14mps service) does drop out occasionally interrupting streaming, it’s one reason where if we can we download BBC iPlayer programmes to phone / tablet rather than stream and to use the Ethernet cable just trying to cut down potential interruptions.

grum
    Free Member

WAIT for the new one to come out. It’s launching in a week or so. The old one will still be available once the new one launches, so you are not gaining anything by rushing out to buy one now.

The new device will include an app-store that allows 3rd parties (BBC etc) to develop native apps for it. The current model only has a few apps that are a) really US-centric, and b) quite poorly implemented (eg: netflix).

Yes there is isn’t there.

Have you ever used Netflix on a computer? The interface is quite poor on there also – it’s slightly better on the PS3 but only slightly. I’m not sure what you’re expecting from the new Netflix app but I suggest you manage your expectations.

AppleTV would be a bad idea if you didn’t already own an iPhone/iPad, but if you do it’s a great deal for £40-£50 IMO. I guess you might as well wait for the new one but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be buying one as the extra features don’t sound worth the money for me.

The new one has a wizzy remote: it’s bluetooth (no line of sight required), and integrates siri support – meaning that you can search for content via speech – which should be very useful when you have got 5 or 6 apps all providing content.

The old one has a wizzy remote, it’s called my phone or my iPad. I can’t see myself talking to my TV remote but each to their own.

nealglover
    Free Member

As far as broadband/wifi is concerned, we are having fibre broadband (50meg) installed this week, and the router will be next to the TV.

I guess that means I’m OK on that score.

As for the remote, the last thing I want is another remote to be honest, my phone is always there so that will be what I would use anyway.

If I can stream/mirror stuff from the apps on my iPhone/iPad without problems, I can’t see the need to pay four times the price for the new one ?

Does anyone know if mirroring/AirPlay works from SkyGo ?

grum
    Free Member

Does anyone know if mirroring/AirPlay works from SkyGo ?

Nope. Sky have disabled it.

I’ve managed to get it working through a Mac laptop running AirParrot but it was a bit jerky.

nealglover
    Free Member

Fair enough, hardly ever use it anyway. NowTV and BBC iPlayer are my main sources.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@grum can they actually disable it if you don’t go full screen or if you use Safari rather than an app ? Seems so given what you’ve posted.

@neal, I wondered about getting a new model but I came to the conclusion than until we know what apps it will actually have developed for it the original was just as good in practice and even if I had £100-150 premium to spend over the ATV I’d be more tempted to spend that on a phone/ipad upgrade. Might I suggest as router is next to TV you pop a short ethernet cable between the two, peace of mind.

As a totally irrelevant aside the Mrs is watching the movie we rented last night again on the ATV now.

nealglover
    Free Member

Might I suggest as router is next to TV you pop a short ethernet cable between the two, peace of mind.

That was my thoughts, although wasn’t sure if it would make a difference if screen mirroring ?

Is the iPad “sending” the image via wifi, or telling the ATV what to get via the cabled connection (if that makes sense)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@neal my belief is the communication is via the router (i.e. iPad -> router -> atv but not totally sure) the cable will help for streaming from the web definitely and reduce the wifi reliance for the iPad streaming (I think). I have found many times when streaming movies direct from internet that the cable works better than wifi only. You may also want to switch off the screen sleep when streaming from phone/ipad Ive never worked out exactly why sometimes the phone sleeps and thus cuts streaming whilst other times it doesn’t. iPad seems less prone to that.

garlic
    Free Member

Your iPad/iPhone talks to the Apple TV via the wifi router. Any limitations in speed is down to your router, not the Apple TV.

I’ve had my Apple TV for 4 years and it’s been brilliant. I use it in quite a limited way; just the Netflix app, also streaming BBC iPlayer from my phone and streaming movies from my laptop using the Beamer OSX app. It’s been effortless and bugless.

robdob
    Free Member

I quite like my Apple TV. Good for looking at pics I’ve taken either direct from phone or via iCloud, which is what I bought it for. Red bull tv is good and the Netflix is pretty good.
    Would be nice to have an iplayer app but mirroring from iPhone works really well so not a deal at all for me. 4OD works well too in the same way.

nealglover
    Free Member

So it seems like 4OD will work for some, but others say it doesn’t work.

Anyone know why that is. Is there a trick to it, different hardware or software versions maybe ?

nickdavies

4od never worked. New all 4 app does, just looked at this myself didn’t realise they’d got a new app as I haven’t bothered with it for ages.

nealglover
    Free Member

Picked up the current version ATV from the Apple Store today.

Working perfectly streaming from iPhone/iPad on BBC iPlayer, All4 (4od), ITV player, NOW TV, Catchup TV, Redbull TV apps.

And the installed Now TV, Redbull TV and Netfilx apps all working perfectly.

Nice bit of kit, very happy with it.

Thanks for all the advice.

jambalaya
    Free Member

😀

OP I like to use it with my Vimeo and YouTube accounts, watching my saved channels, recommended or “watch later” videos – great for STW mini movies, click watch later from phone or computer then run through them direct from ATV

MrNutt
    Free Member

tempted by the Munster ZT8…. anyone got one?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The ATV is like most things Apple, you really get the best out of it when used in conjunction with other Apple devices/stuff. If you’re not invested in the Apple thing then there are few if any advantages over any other similar device out there. But I have Netflix on my SMART TV, my ‘SMART Blu Ray player’ and a few other devices, but Netflix via Apple TV by far works, and provides the best picture quality for some reason (probably because it’s a dedicated device ratehr than something else with SMART capability), so if the app is avaiable on ATV then that is my go to device for playing it.

pjbarton
    Free Member

Batfink is right – there’s no iplayer on current Apple TV but you can stream from iOS pretty easily. If you’re an iOS family get an Apple TV, but wait for the new one – You can buy it now for £130, delivered in a week or so. BBC have announced they’ll support it.

We use a sony ‘smart’ device for iPlayer, it has ITV and 4OD but they’re so bad it’s not worth trying.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Guys the thread has been resurrected with a specific question about the “Munster” which is a great divice name btw

bikebouy
    Free Member

Theres been a lot of call on the new ATV and I’ve just had a delay postage until next week (ordered last week)

Still, first time using it so no bother.

zilog6128

the “Munster” which is a great divice name btw

True. Never heard of it though.

Back on topic, just about to order up a new Apple TV! Sounds like there’s a lot Apple need to add/fix but that’s all software – hardware sounds like it’s solid.

Also I’ve just read MicroMachines is coming to iOS (and tvOS!) this year which could potentially be very awesome – unfortunately it’s being done by Codemasters/Chillingo so fingers crossed they don’t make an utter balls up of it or turn it into some freemium nightmare.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yay!
    Just got mine setup and it was painless and is all up and running now.
    How utterly fabulous.

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Apple TV questions.’ is closed to new replies.