Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Apple TV Kodi ….talk to me
  • womp
    Free Member

i have a mini PC running Kodi so im familiar with Kodi but my father would like a Kodi box so im thinking of one of the jailbroken apple boxes off ebay

Does anyone have any experience with these? price seem to vary from 150 > 300

zilog6128

Why not just get a new Raspberry Pi 2 for a fraction of the cost?

womp
    Free Member

Why not just get a new Raspberry Pi 2 for a fraction of the cost?

i dont know 😯

im after something that is simple to use with a remote and is quick

a friend of mine has an android box that is sluggish takes a life time to load artwork.

ive just been told that Kodi is no longer supporting apple TV in the next release but will still support Mac, i could get a mac mini which is £399 but is that overkill ?

chambord
    Free Member

Do as zilog suggests, you will save hundreds of pounds.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Pi is perfect for XBMC/Kodi, should work with most TV remotes over HDMI control

womp
    Free Member

cheers guys, any sellers links you could recommend ?

chambord
    Free Member

This place gets recommended here a lot. You may or may not need the starter kit depending on whether you have a spare microSD/microUSB power supply kicking around the house.

Then you can just install raspbmc, job’s a gooden.

tragically1969
    Free Member

PiHut or ModMyPi, sometimes cheaper on Amazon from the same seller too so worth checking there.

Milkie
    Free Member

Last time I used a Pi for XBMC is was completely shit (12 months ago), Jailbroken ATV was so much better, even running XBMC.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Last time I used a Pi for XBMC is was completely shit (12 months ago), Jailbroken ATV was so much better, even running XBMC.

Well that’s far from the general experience, care to share why ?

They have stopped developing the Apple version now I think……

chambord
    Free Member

They’ve been significantly upgraded since then…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Seems daft paying for a jail broken old Apple TV 2 £150-300 when a new ATV3 is £69 although it cannot do what you want. I run a 2009 Mac Mini connected to my TV it works very well but seems overkill for what you want and you need a keyboard and mouse

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well that’s far from the general experience

This. I’ve been using XBMC on a pi for about 18 months and it’s been rock solid – I also have a ATV v2 running XBMC and I see almost difference between them.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve been running Kodi on a Pi 1 and Pi 2- Pi 1 was acceptable, Pi 2 is a big step forwards in performance. I’d go for 2.

OOTB, it worked with my MCE remote as well. Its perfect, actually, and very cheap of course.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Another option, would be to get a HP or Asus Chromebox, and then instal Open Elec, either as single install or dualboot, and you’re good to go. More oomph than a Pi, and a bit more user friendly.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gQgSDdZuLY[/video]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Apple TV Kodi ….talk to me’ is closed to new replies.