Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Apple to create 3D maps of the Earth – including your home!
  • spacemonkey

Surely there’s a privacy law against what the likes of they and Google et al do?

Big brother getting bigger alright.

allthegear
    Free Member

so clear they will show objects just 4in across

err – what are you worried about???

Rachel

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀

allthegear
    Free Member

err – I hadn’t actually thought they might multiple possible interpretations of that!! 😳

However, I’m going to leave it as-is. The type of images that this will produce are hardly like the street-view images and it’s really not going to be anything that hasn’t already been done many times before, including by Bing…

Rachel

jon1973
    Free Member

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I think it would be pretty cool.

I often switch between the satellite and drawn maps when planning routes in areas that I’m not familiar with and a bit extra resolution would be handy.

spacemonkey

The extra detail will probably prove to be even more handy for thieves than ‘just’ relying on Googlemaps and Bing etc.

DezB
    Free Member

Any evidence that thieves have used these facilities?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The extra detail will probably prove to be even more handy for thieves than ‘just’ relying on Googlemaps and Bing etc.

haha you sound like my mum. She thought that you could use street view to see if people were at home or not.

I know it’s not the British way but perhaps we could wait and see what is actually announced (or even released) before writing to the local papers.

saxabar
    Free Member

Disappointing mention of metropolitan areas only.

warton
    Free Member

How? also, how do thieves ‘use’ google maps to plan robberies?

spacemonkey

<not wearing a tin hat>

If you were serious about casing let’s say a big property, would you not at least use online mapping to check out the area etc?

</still not wearing a tin hat>

whatnobeer
    Free Member

There’s been reports of and advice given from police, relating to thefts of farm equipment and fuel, where thieves have scouted out what’s available from satellite images.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s been reports of and advice given from police, relating to thefts of farm equipment and fuel, where thieves have scouted out what’s available from satellite images.

It’s probably a safe bet that any farm will have a diesel tank and some rusty scrap metal, you don’t need streetview to tell you that!

IA

If you want to see what it’s like, go to maps.nokia.com/3d and look at london (or one of the other cities scanned).

Pretty impressive resolution/detail etc. Apple bought the company that made the 3d maps for nokia, so it’s those data sets they’ll be using.

The resolution actually varies by city, as it depends how long they were allowed to flyover for, at what altitude, and to some extent the weather when they did it the scans were done using stereo cameras on low flying planes).

I could waffle on about this more if anyone’s interested, I was fortunate to be given an overview of the system from some nokia folks.

warton
    Free Member

If you were serious about casing let’s say a big property, would you not at least use online paper mapping to check out the area etc?

Ban all maps. NOW

DrP

I like to use satellite images to search the local area for ‘stealth’ trampolines, then go bouncing in the dead of night…..

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

I quite like the streetview stuff for linking cheaky trails together, saves ridin on the pavement etc. blah blah.

Not sure they’d be able to see much in my place at the moment, most of it is in storage whilst I get the place renovated.

Looking into your’s might be interesting though.

kiwijohn

Ive already made a 3d image of my house on sketch up. Hope they can make a better job of it.

40mpg

Go here, type in your town name, have a look at the Russian maps from the 80’s, and PANIC

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nice, The Russian maps appear to have cheeky trails marked on them. Those cheeky Russians.

CountZero

Fairly predictably the Daily Fail have worked themselves into a frothing, eye-swivelling state over this, as they are more than a bit anti-Apple. It never seems to occure to these idiots that it’s just a photo, not a live web-cam feed; it can’t tell anyone anything about a place other than the appearance at the time the photo was taken. Anyone looking for the silver Puma parked outside my house on Google maps will be very disappointed as it was sold years ago.

Drac

“No Russian Maps available”

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

When Google StreetView came out, not only did the Daily Mail (and others) start jumping up and down complaining about invasion of privacy for the all important “home owners” they then proceeded to use the very same StreetView images in loads of news reports when presumably they can’t be bothered paying for some proper pics.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Apple to create 3D maps of the Earth – including your home!’ is closed to new replies.