Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Apple Time Capsule and Networking help
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

My current setup is a Virginmedia superhub in modem mode with an ASUS RT-N66U doing the routing and WiFi. I am wanting to add a form of wireless backup for time machine on the Macs.
    Whilst I can add harddrives to the ASUS router it doesn’t support time machine without opening it up and hacking the hardware which I don’t want to do.
    I’m looking at the Apple Time Capsule but would like to continue using the ASUS router as I understand Apple’s Wifi can be a bit flaky. Can I add the Time Capsule to my existing network or use it as an extender?

euain

You could just plug it into the hub with an ethernet cable if you’re really worried about its WiFi.

Otherwise, you can do pretty much what you want – have it just join the network as a client, extend it (not sure how nice it’d play with the Asus but _should_ work).

I use an Airport Extreme for my networking and it’s very stable and fast.

Having said that Time Capsule is expensive if you’re just wanting it as a backup solution. I use the TimeMachine functionality in my QNAP RAID and it works a treat. For a similar price to the TimeCapsule you’re getting a whole lot more machine.

vinnyeh

Just as a bit of a PSA, the Apple refurb store is knocking 2TB Time Capsules out for £149- they turn up every couple of days, but sell out fairly quickly. If you set up an alert on refurb.me or similar you can get an email letting you know when they’re in stock.

A Synology NAS (among others I imagine) will also provide Time Machine support, and may be cheaper.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    craigxxl
    Free Member

Euain, when I’ve been searching for reviews on the time capsule there was a few negatives regarding the Wifi. This is the only thing that it is preventing me from ditching the ASUS and also the old 2TB Iomega/Lenovo IX200 (also no time machine support) which I use for mainly music streaming and photos. Everything else is on Dropbox.

Vinnyeh, just looked on the refurb store and as predicted none available. I had thought of going for another NAS but by the time I’ve added the drives I’m not gaining much as I don’t need masses of storage.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Apple Time Capsule and Networking help’ is closed to new replies.